CrossCurrent S Clicking Fixed

CCFixer

I have two Juiced bikes an Ocean Current and Cross Current S. I think they are very good bikes and, because their torque sensors, provide a superior riding experience to most similarly priced competitors that use only cadence sensors. Unfortunately, after about 1,200 miles on the Cross Current S, the bike started to make a clicking noise only when pedaling (which I do all the time). The noise got progressively worse, so I decided to investigate the driveline and try to fix the problem. Although I regularly cleaned and lubed the chain every few hundred miles, I found it to be worn beyond spec. so I ordered a replacement, thinking that maybe that was the problem. To facilitate making repairs, I ordered bike specific tools, namely a chain breaker, master link pliers, cassette nut tool and a chain whip. The new chain was several links shorter than original but the derailleur had plenty enough travel to accommodate the shorter chain and it really tightened up the whole system and shifted beautifully! However, the clicking remained and was quite irritating. So, next step was to remove the rear wheel to see if something was amiss. After taking the wheel out, I removed the cassette and closely inspected it for wear. There was what seemed to be minor wear but I doubted it was the cause of clicking, In any case, decided to replace the cassette with a new close ratio version that is 11-30 teeth (Florida is flat and I don't need very low gearing). At the same time I took the motor hub apart and greased the gears with a recommended lithium grease (more on that later). Put everything together thinking I must have cured the problem, but no, still clicking! Bike rode okay, but the clicking was embarrassing when riding with others. At this point I decided just to buy a whole new wheel assembly from Juiced. Well, although listed on their website, they had no stock and no idea when they might get more. In fact, they really don't have any repair parts for the CCS and their customer support is somewhat lacking. I kept on riding, as getting out on the bike is keeping me sane in corona virus plagued Florida. After about two more weeks of enduring ever noisier clicking, the clutch started slipping on occasion when I pushed hard on the pedals or used the throttle! After some contemplation and research, I came to the conclusion that the only part that was left to cure the clicking was the freehub. It took a while to find the right parts; eBay was a great source, and I ordered a new freehub and, just to be safe a clutch. When they came, I pulled everything apart again to install. I believe the clutch issue was my fault as I may have been a bit overzealous when I lubed the motor gears, and some of the grease migrated into the clutch, so I was very sparing with grease the second time around! The freehub comes with a new motor cover as an assembly and was very easy to install as it includes bearings. Careful examination of the new vs. old parts did not reveal any obvious fault, but I did notice just a very slight lateral play in the old freehub. Anyway, put everything together and took a ride - no clicking! Following day, took a 25 mile ride and the bike is riding better than new! The motor just purrs, is much quieter than before and the bike just feels terrific so I'm once again enjoying my CCS to the max. I hope this diatribe may help someone else who might also have a similar problem.

Great write up. Would you be willing to share the actual brand and part number of the items you bought that fixed the problem?

I managed to stretch a chain beyond spec in as little as 800 miles with my CCS. I no long "hammer down" on the pedals and I use the motor to get the bike going. Well....back in the pre-covid days that is.

Good job! A few paragraph breaks and a couple links to the parts would be nice! Ride-On!

Thanks, I'm glad you found the post useful. I got the parts from greenbikekit.com and they are genuine Bafang replacements. They are in China and it took about 2 weeks for them to arrive. Here are the details:

Bafang fatbike motor RM G06 cover with cassette base
rmg06-cst-cover​
1​
$33.00​
Original Bafang SWXK/BPM/SWXH/SWXB/SWXP/SWX02/fatbike RMG06 motor clutches/platenary gear set Please choose motor model for the clutch SWX02/RMG06/fatbike motor 250W/350W/500W​
8fun-clutch-swx02​
1​
$23.50​

My bike uses the SWX02 motor. Shipping was $21.02. Greenbikekit was responsive and shipped quickly. I think they will be a good source for e-bike parts!

Thanks, I'm glad you found the post useful. I got the parts from greenbikekit.com and they are genuine Bafang replacements. They are in China and it took about 2 weeks for them to arrive. Here are the details:

Bafang fatbike motor RM G06 cover with cassette base
rmg06-cst-cover​
1​
$33.00​
Original Bafang SWXK/BPM/SWXH/SWXB/SWXP/SWX02/fatbike RMG06 motor clutches/platenary gear set Please choose motor model for the clutch SWX02/RMG06/fatbike motor 250W/350W/500W​
8fun-clutch-swx02​
1​
$23.50​

My bike uses the SWX02 motor. Shipping was $21.02. Greenbikekit was responsive and shipped quickly. I think they will be a good source for e-bike parts!
I'm impressed. Thank you for this post

I have two Juiced bikes an Ocean Current and Cross Current S. I think they are very good bikes and, because their torque sensors, provide a superior riding experience to most similarly priced competitors that use only cadence sensors. Unfortunately, after about 1,200 miles on the Cross Current S, the bike started to make a clicking noise only when pedaling (which I do all the time). The noise got progressively worse, so I decided to investigate the driveline and try to fix the problem. Although I regularly cleaned and lubed the chain every few hundred miles, I found it to be worn beyond spec. so I ordered a replacement, thinking that maybe that was the problem. To facilitate making repairs, I ordered bike specific tools, namely a chain breaker, master link pliers, cassette nut tool and a chain whip. The new chain was several links shorter than original but the derailleur had plenty enough travel to accommodate the shorter chain and it really tightened up the whole system and shifted beautifully! However, the clicking remained and was quite irritating. So, next step was to remove the rear wheel to see if something was amiss. After taking the wheel out, I removed the cassette and closely inspected it for wear. There was what seemed to be minor wear but I doubted it was the cause of clicking, In any case, decided to replace the cassette with a new close ratio version that is 11-30 teeth (Florida is flat and I don't need very low gearing). At the same time I took the motor hub apart and greased the gears with a recommended lithium grease (more on that later). Put everything together thinking I must have cured the problem, but no, still clicking! Bike rode okay, but the clicking was embarrassing when riding with others. At this point I decided just to buy a whole new wheel assembly from Juiced. Well, although listed on their website, they had no stock and no idea when they might get more. In fact, they really don't have any repair parts for the CCS and their customer support is somewhat lacking. I kept on riding, as getting out on the bike is keeping me sane in corona virus plagued Florida. After about two more weeks of enduring ever noisier clicking, the clutch started slipping on occasion when I pushed hard on the pedals or used the throttle! After some contemplation and research, I came to the conclusion that the only part that was left to cure the clicking was the freehub. It took a while to find the right parts; eBay was a great source, and I ordered a new freehub and, just to be safe a clutch. When they came, I pulled everything apart again to install. I believe the clutch issue was my fault as I may have been a bit overzealous when I lubed the motor gears, and some of the grease migrated into the clutch, so I was very sparing with grease the second time around! The freehub comes with a new motor cover as an assembly and was very easy to install as it includes bearings. Careful examination of the new vs. old parts did not reveal any obvious fault, but I did notice just a very slight lateral play in the old freehub. Anyway, put everything together and took a ride - no clicking! Following day, took a 25 mile ride and the bike is riding better than new! The motor just purrs, is much quieter than before and the bike just feels terrific so I'm once again enjoying my CCS to the max. I hope this diatribe may help someone else who might also have a similar problem.
Your clicking noise sounds like what I am experiencing with my Juiced Rip Current S. It has the same Bafang motor as your Cross Current. Do you think that the motor cover/freehub alone was the solution? I haven't had any problem with the clutch so hoping I don't need to replace that too. Can you suggest what tools are needed to remove the motor cover and replace it? Juiced Tech support has offered to have me ship the entire rear wheel to them and they would repair it but at a cost of about $200 with shipping both directions. I am not the original owner and out of warranty. Any feedback you can provide will be appreciated.

Hello CCFixer,

I also have had problems working with Juiced Bikes Service and Warranty issues that they can't seem to be able to resolve.
They gave me the runaround, and created delays to avoid the service issue. Bottom line, Good Bike, Terrible Customer/Warranty Service

That being said, I found a great resource that expands on what you just experienced;
(Step-by-step procedure with photographs, click link below)

They even have the part...
"We now have this part in stock:" https://hilleater.ca/bafang-cassette-freewheel-and-side-cover-assembly-swx02/

I purchased the Juiced Bike Cross Current S for my wife, and it became her favorite bicycle to use. She now was able can keep up with me when we took rides together, both speed and mileage wise. (I am a "Roadie") It was nice)...
...The last thing you want is to have your wife unhappy.

Currently this bike has not worked properly after 10-months of ownership, and now she refuses to ride it until it is repaired. (Because of leaving her to push her Juiced Bike CCS home several times)
Now she will only ride her "peddle bike" until I get it repaired.

I believe the defect is the internal "Clutch/Planetary Gear Assembly" is slipping inside the hub motor assembly.
But I cannot get Juiced Bikes Support to understand that it was under warranty when it occurred. They had me try several things before the warranty ran out. (I have the emails for proof, and so does Juiced Bikes) Now all they want to do is give an estimation for repairs to solve this issue. (Go figure?)

I have recommend the purchase of the Juiced Bikes (in the past) to others before I had this problem with Customer Service/Warranty issues. Currently one of them is now experiencing the same failure as I. (It also occurred under the 1-year warranty period) Currently they won't ride their bike also, and is waiting for me to resolve my problem first. (So they can do the same to fix their bicycle)
I believe Juiced Bikes is aware of this issue with their product and chooses to ignore warranty support.

So long story short, I am sharing this great alternative resource with you and others because I understand your frustration with Juiced Bikes Support. I found this resource because of the same frustration, and it hit home with me.

I hope this information will assist you and others with future support issues with the Juiced Bikes Support issues.

1614965067392.png

Last edited:
It is stories like these that are really making me think twice about purchasing a Cross Current S2. I even got a random email about a week ago from the new "Director of Cleint Experience" Tracy Watson. She stated many changes that have recently taken place. I will post the contents in a new Thread. Thank you for the in-depth information. Safe Cycling!

Hello CCFixer,

I also have had problems working with Juiced Bikes Service and Warranty issues that they can't seem to be able to resolve.
They gave me the runaround, and created delays to avoid the service issue. Bottom line, Good Bike, Terrible Customer/Warranty Service

That being said, I found a great resource that expands on what you just experienced;
(Step-by-step procedure with photographs, click link below)

They even have the part...
"We now have this part in stock:" https://hilleater.ca/bafang-cassette-freewheel-and-side-cover-assembly-swx02/

I purchased the Juiced Bike Cross Current S for my wife, and it became her favorite bicycle to use. She now was able can keep up with me when we took rides together, both speed and mileage wise. (I am a "Roadie") It was nice)...
...The last thing you want is to have your wife unhappy.

Currently this bike has not worked properly after 10-months of ownership, and now she refuses to ride it until it is repaired. (Because of leaving her to push her Juiced Bike CCS home several times)
Now she will only ride her "peddle bike" until I get it repaired.

I believe the defect is the internal "Clutch/Planetary Gear Assembly" is slipping inside the hub motor assembly.
But I cannot get Juiced Bikes Support to understand that it was under warranty when it occurred. They had me try several things before the warranty ran out. (I have the emails for proof, and so does Juiced Bikes) Now all they want to do is give an estimation for repairs to solve this issue. (Go figure?)

I have recommend the purchase of the Juiced Bikes (in the past) to others before I had this problem with Customer Service/Warranty issues. Currently one of them is now experiencing the same failure as I. (It also occurred under the 1-year warranty period) Currently they won't ride their bike also, and is waiting for me to resolve my problem first. (So they can do the same to fix their bicycle)
I believe Juiced Bikes is aware of this issue with their product and chooses to ignore warranty support.

So long story short, I am sharing this great alternative resource with you and others because I understand your frustration with Juiced Bikes Support. I found this resource because of the same frustration, and it hit home with me.

I hope this information will assist you and others with future support issues with the Juiced Bikes Support issues.

View attachment 80699

I ordered the Bafang part pictured above, and the cassette nut tool from Hilleater; and a chain whip via Ebay. The cassette nut that came with the chain whip worked fine. A trip to H-Freight for the torx bits that are "hollow" for "security" torx screws was necessary. Cleared the problem no noise after 20 miles. Couldn't see anything wrong with the old part but did not try to take it apart.

Back