Is Tesla Smoking Addictive?

Catalyzt

Region
USA
Conceptually, I have nothing against electric cars-- if there were one available that worked for me, I'd probably prefer one. However, here in Hollywood, Tesla drivers are sometimes, not always, pretty obnoxious. Seems like a 50/50 split, either they are unusually courteous, or unusually clueless, without anything in between. I nearly got run off a canyon road by a Tesla coming the opposite direction who just felt safer with five feet of clearance on the passenger side, and 18 inches of clearance from my handlebars-- and this was when my wheels were maybe six inches from the curb. And a few other similar incidents.

Last night, Seeker and I had had enough. I exited a trail at last light, but clearly visible with both headlights on, and a Tesla pulled our right in front of me, expecting me to wait while he executed a lazy three-point turn. But we didn't feel like doing that, so while he was still in reverse, we blasted right in front of his nose and down a winding canyon road. Juvenile, perhaps, but I hate being behind cars on that particular stretch of road, no matter what make and model of vehicle, they always are going slower than I am.

40nm of torque vs ludicrous mode, it sounds like an uneven contest, and it was, just not in the way you'd expect. Bye-bye! 😁

This has happened a few times now with sports cars, and when I looked into it, it seems like for sure, on a track with similar curves, the Tesla or Porsche or whatever would make short work of me and Seeker. But on narrow roads, cars are at more of a disadvantage because they have a wider footprint, and I can cut a tighter line. So this only works in neighborhoods like mine-- I'm not trying it anywhere else, and not recommending it!

Conceptually, I have nothing against electric cars-- if there were one available that worked for me, I'd probably prefer one. However, here in Hollywood, Tesla drivers are sometimes, not always, pretty obnoxious. Seems like a 50/50 split, either they are unusually courteous, or unusually clueless, without anything in between. I nearly got run off a canyon road by a Tesla coming the opposite direction who just felt safer with five feet of clearance on the passenger side, and 18 inches of clearance from my handlebars-- and this was when my wheels were maybe six inches from the curb. And a few other similar incidents.

Last night, Seeker and I had had enough. I exited a trail at last light, but clearly visible with both headlights on, and a Tesla pulled our right in front of me, expecting me to wait while he executed a lazy three-point turn. But we didn't feel like doing that, so while he was still in reverse, we blasted right in front of his nose and down a winding canyon road. Juvenile, perhaps, but I hate being behind cars on that particular stretch of road, no matter what make and model of vehicle, they always are going slower than I am.

40nm of torque vs ludicrous mode, it sounds like an uneven contest, and it was, just not in the way you'd expect. Bye-bye! 😁

This has happened a few times now with sports cars, and when I looked into it, it seems like for sure, on a track with similar curves, the Tesla or Porsche or whatever would make short work of me and Seeker. But on narrow roads, cars are at more of a disadvantage because they have a wider footprint, and I can cut a tighter line. So this only works in neighborhoods like mine-- I'm not trying it anywhere else, and not recommending it!
I for sure wouldn't challenge you on a twisty road, a patch of gravel or loose stuff you would go down and the car would probably run right over you, my reaction times are a bit slower than average and I wouldn't race a two-wheeler with a four-wheeler. In one town I used to have to drive a truck through there was this critter on a bicycle at an intersection occupying a lane, He was on a regular bike , when the light changed there He was slowing the rush hour traffic behind Him( BTW this town does have designated bike lanes) its a College town and some of the critters in the four wheelers get rather testy( did get the chance to shut one "feminazi" down with my pickup one morning( I can stands all I can stands and I can't stands no more"-Popeye)

Berkeley did a study at crosswalks. The more expensive the car, the less likely to stop. Expensive electric cars were the worst of the worst. Entitlement. Drivers don't have a clue how fragile there car bodies are. It is like threatening someone with a dollar store turkey basting pan.

I for sure wouldn't challenge you on a twisty road, a patch of gravel or loose stuff you would go down and the car would probably run right over you, my reaction times are a bit slower than average and I wouldn't race a two-wheeler with a four-wheeler. In one town I used to have to drive a truck through there was this critter on a bicycle at an intersection occupying a lane, He was on a regular bike , when the light changed there He was slowing the rush hour traffic behind Him( BTW this town does have designated bike lanes) its a College town and some of the critters in the four wheelers get rather testy( did get the chance to shut one "feminazi" down with my pickup one morning( I can stands all I can stands and I can't stands no more"-Popeye)
Fair point. What may not have been clear from my post: What I'm doing is only possible on a few stretches of road in a neighborhood where the roads have very unusual characteristics and grades-- and what's more, it's something I would do only in rare circumstances.

I have passed a Porsche or three on Vermont Canyon coming downhill, but those are on straightaways with speed bumps, and I am in a bike lane. I've only done it when I'm as certain as I can be that the car I am overtaking sees me, and has no reason to veer into the bike lane. In that situation, I would only pass a good driver, who seems to be relatively courteous, and the motive is different: I'm trying to pick up speed so I can attack a sequence of mild uphill turns.
Berkeley did a study at crosswalks. The more expensive the car, the less likely to stop. Expensive electric cars were the worst of the worst. Entitlement. Drivers don't have a clue how fragile there car bodies are. It is like threatening someone with a dollar store turkey basting pan.
Generally true in my experience, but there are so many exceptions, and so many other independent variables, that this data point would be about the sixth or seventh thing that figured into any mental calculation.

The MX5 has a very odd body shape. I cannot always tell how wide it is. I have whacked plastic trash cans with my mirrors a few times when I thought I had another four to six inches. I have no idea what it's like to drive a Tesla. With the CRX, and with the 1999 MX5, I always knew how wide the car was. Was the driver of the Tesla entitled? Probably. But I don't know that. Maybe, like me, he has more than one vehicle and does not commute to work every day.

I had a fender-bender recently-- my fault-- that really tested my self-assessment of my own reaction time and driving skills. I couldn't identify anything careless that I was doing-- completely focused, no medication in my system whatsoever, well rested, and while I was running GPS, my phone was resting on the center console and I wasn't looking at it, touching it, or thinking about it or anything besides the road. I thought it must have seemed like an incredibly stupid mistake, and was prepared to submit to an earful of abuse from the other driver... and imagine my surprise when the dude was totally chill. "You okay? Yeah, pain in the ass, but nobody's hurt, that's the most important thing. Yo, traffic is crazy out here, right?" That mistake will cost me roughly $2,500 in added insurance costs over 5 years (losing the 'distinguished driver' discount') as well as my deductible.

All that I could figure: I was in a hurry going to the beach to body board on a Saturday. I went boarding last Saturday, and felt like I avoided a similar incident only by exercising savage concentration. The only way to avoid this for certain? Don't bodyboard on Saturday, or not before a hard deadline (I have afternoon clients). It just sucks because I can only surf safely when conditions are within a very, very narrow window. But that's life, and the realities of advancing years.

Don't beat yourself up( S does happen though there is generally a cause) just do as I do I LOOK upon driving as a necessity these days rather than a privilege, the slightest 'mouthing' or criticism I get I switch the "Con" get over here and drive,I do like to sightsee after all.That happened on the trail I used to frequent the dirtbikes kept it tore all to HEdouble hockeysticks and I was watching the path more than looking for low hanging branches and being able to enjoy the veiw( much improved since the leaves have fallen)

Back