I thought Class 3 would feel safer on the road

We call it lane splitting in California, and on a motorcycle it's a legal maneuver, with certain conditions. I do it on my motorcycles, especially at a stop light, for self preservation. The last thing you want on a M/C is to be squished between two cars because the guy behind you had their head up their a**. Much safer in between cars, side to side with them, but I lane split with respect to the cage drivers and stay within the legal guide lines, but I have never considered doing it on a bicycle. Bicycles are too slow to be mixed in with traffic. I stay as far away from the cages as I can, usually off the the very right shoulder, and when I'm really felling vulnerable I ride against traffic so I can least see the cars as they whiz by me, not too often but sometimes it seems the safest option.

We call it lane splitting in California, and on a motorcycle it's a legal maneuver, with certain conditions. I do it on my motorcycles, especially at a stop light, for self preservation. The last thing you want on a M/C is to be squished between two cars because the guy behind you had their head up their a**. Much safer in between cars, side to side with them, but I lane split with respect to the cage drivers and stay within the legal guide lines, but I have never considered doing it on a bicycle. Bicycles are too slow to be mixed in with traffic. I stay as far away from the cages as I can, usually off the the very right shoulder, and when I'm really felling vulnerable I ride against traffic so I can least see the cars as they whiz by me, not too often but sometimes it seems the safest option.
Riding against traffic seems very risky, and I think is illegal in some places. If I'm on my bike, and see a bike coming toward me in the bike lane, I find it disconcerting, especially when they have their own bike lane on their side of the road. Who has the right of way, especially if it's not a wide enough lane to safely pass? It bothers me to see pedestrians in the bike lane too, but we never come to blows.

Last edited:
I ride a motor scooter for my main transportation so I know my limitations. You'll get used to the stupid drivers and what roads to avoid. Only thing to note: NEVER let your guard down! Learn to check mirrors and keep your head on a swivel. Ride like everyone is out to get you. It stinks that we have to be this way when riding but cars just get more careless and reckless. I still enjoy 2 wheels but sometimes I question why I'm on them.
I have my grandson that same advice when he got his motorcycle.

I'm in a suburb of Seattle, WA, and I think people are generally pretty understanding. I think they are just not used to bikes going that fast, which is causing them to do things that they wouldn't do if they really thought about it.

I've actually found that other roads (even busier roads) where my speed is +/-20MPH interact more naturally than the ones where I'm going fast.
Ben,
I'm also in Wa. and just ride at my own pace. I ignore the speed of traffic, but I'm usually in bike lanes or on trails. If you try to keep up with car's you lose, every time. On streets without bike lanes I just hug the curb and roll along at my normal 15 mph. Trying to keep up with cars is real stressful and ruins the whole biking experience. I have two super bright daytime rear lights on that can be seen a mile away. Cygolight. Get a couple and set them to Daytime Lightening mode. Cars will see you up ahead real easy. Even if texting or talking. In our state bikers have the same rights and responsibilities as cars. We share the roads. We don't have to stop at stop signs. By law we can, slow down, look both ways, then roll through them. At traffic lights, we need only slow down but can run them if it's clear to do so. I always wait out the lights myself. No reason to speed down the street. It's hard on the bike and just adds to more stress for the rider. Then again I didn't buy my bike to go fast anywhere, just for relaxation and moderate exercise. I also have front Cygolite on day flash mode. Good luck out there.

This has nothing to do with people hating bikers . And more to do with everyone is totally self focused these days . Everyone is in a hurry . Also if they have never ridden a Bike along side cars . They have no concept of what it feels like to have a car close . There's more road rage today then ever . People today have a low threshold to getting angry and often violent .
It's not your e-bike that's hated . It's other people who disrupt your intentions . Regardless of where you are . That's why good guys carry :)

This has nothing to do with people hating bikers . And more to do with everyone is totally self focused these days . Everyone is in a hurry . Also if they have never ridden a Bike along side cars . They have no concept of what it feels like to have a car close . There's more road rage today then ever . People today have a low threshold to getting angry and often violent .
It's not your e-bike that's hated . It's other people who disrupt your intentions . Regardless of where you are . That's why good guys carry :)
I can't "carry" its too tempting at times" Our lovely"Commonpoorth" allows concealed carry in bars, apparently it hasn't caused a lot of trouble,OTH "Johnbarleycorn" can have a short fuse. I hope most Ebikers do not mix riding with booze.

I can't "carry" its too tempting at times" Our lovely"Commonpoorth" allows concealed carry in bars, apparently it hasn't caused a lot of trouble,OTH "Johnbarleycorn" can have a short fuse. I hope most Ebikers do not mix riding with booze.
I would guess most who carry can control their tempers . But you never know . We passed a parked car this weekend that was parked in a Bike lane right in front of a No parking sign . My fiend says as we pass . You're in our bike lane . The guy got so mad he followed us for over a mile while laying on his horn . He was so close we thought he was going to hit one of the slightly slower riders . Swearing at the top of his lungs . While it didn't come to that . It was comforting to know I an 2 others were carrying . The women with us were all really scared .

I'm glad I live in Canada 🇨🇦

We've had 53 mass shootings since 2001
We have to kill each other with knives or our bare hands.
It's hard to kill a lot of people the slow way.
Funny story from my youth. The US government gave me three choices when I was 18: 1. Go to college. 2. Move to Canada. or 3. Go to prison. I chose door number one and never regretted it until after 2016. By then though I was too old and set in my ways to choose door number two. At least I chose wisely regarding which state to live in.

Back