I thought Class 3 would feel safer on the road

Ben J

Region
USA
I thought going faster on the road would reduce the speed differential to cars and make me feel safer riding in the bike lane (aka bike gutter). What I've found is that drivers are so focused on I must pass all cyclists that what really happens is that there is still a 20+MPH speed differential... It's just that now I'm able to do 30MPH while being passed by someone at 50MPH.

There's a stretch of road I take regularly where I always maintain 28+MPH because of the hill leading into it. The speed limit is 30MPH, and it's all double yellow lines. I feel like most of the cars passing me realize about halfway through the maneuver that what they are doing is insane, but they are 100% committed to passing the "slow bicycle". At least there's something about doing 50 down a narrow road that causes them to move waaay over to the left.

(slightly related: Yesterday this didn't happen on one stretch of road with a 25MPH speed limit, so the Varia radar "forgot" about the car that was pacing me and I jumped when I shoulder checked and saw a car)

It's all relative.
Your presence on a ebike or bicycle on public roads is what you need to keep yourself safe among motorists.
Being fast isn't always the solution to keeping yourself seem or safe among cars on public roads.
How you make yourself present on public roads is how the motorists will react to your presence.
Of course, there will always be some crazy driver that have no regard to human lives; then everyone lose while having those encounters.

I ride a motor scooter for my main transportation so I know my limitations. You'll get used to the stupid drivers and what roads to avoid. Only thing to note: NEVER let your guard down! Learn to check mirrors and keep your head on a swivel. Ride like everyone is out to get you. It stinks that we have to be this way when riding but cars just get more careless and reckless. I still enjoy 2 wheels but sometimes I question why I'm on them.

I'm always a bit terrified riding my e bike in traffic, especially on 2 lane roads with little shoulders. I feel perfectly safe when on my motorcycles, with the difference being able to go the same speed as the cages. Getting passed by a car is truly an exercise in trusting the driver will do so successfully. I don't think I'll ever get comfortable with being passed while riding a bicycle.

That's unfortunate. My experience was what you thought it would be i.e. if I'm doing say 40 km/hr, then cars aren't that annoyed about being behind me and they don't try to pass. I guess it can depend upon where you live, what the roads are like and ultimately who's behind the wheel.

Curious, where are you riding? I'm in a suburb of Vancouver, BC and there are lots of bike lanes, riders and quite a culture of riding here so that might make a difference.

Curious, where are you riding? I'm in a suburb of Vancouver, BC and there are lots of bike lanes, riders and quite a culture of riding here so that might make a difference.
I'm in a suburb of Seattle, WA, and I think people are generally pretty understanding. I think they are just not used to bikes going that fast, which is causing them to do things that they wouldn't do if they really thought about it.

I've actually found that other roads (even busier roads) where my speed is +/-20MPH interact more naturally than the ones where I'm going fast.

I ride a motor scooter for my main transportation so I know my limitations. You'll get used to the stupid drivers and what roads to avoid. Only thing to note: NEVER let your guard down! Learn to check mirrors and keep your head on a swivel. Ride like everyone is out to get you. It stinks that we have to be this way when riding but cars just get more careless and reckless. I still enjoy 2 wheels but sometimes I question why I'm on them.
Can only hope your area gets more bike friendly,I know I do not like to drive around there.( too many'stroads")

I'm in a dense urban environment. The worse drivers have the expired temp plates (paper plates we call them) on beat-up junky cars. I'm pretty sure no insurance either. Even thru the neighborhood we have dummies doing 50mph in these junky cars. Its sad sometimes but as the neighborhood gets better the rents have been going up and the junky car people can no longer afford to live here.

But I have to ride thru intersections near other junky car people living quarters if I pedal to work. They run red lights on such a regular basis around here. I'm pretty sure they're not late going to a job! My motor scooter will hold a solid 65mph so I'm good on most surface streets. My bicycle route is a bit more hectic.

The worse drivers have the expired temp plates (paper plates we call them) on beat-up junky cars. I'm pretty sure no insurance either.
In Illinois, you have to provide proof of insurance to buy license plates. My wife was in a car accident when an uninsured drivers hit her. About 6 months latter we got a check in the mail from our insurance, reimbursing us for the $500 deductible since the driver had to get new license plates. It's a wonderful law!

I'm in a dense urban environment. The worse drivers have the expired temp plates (paper plates we call them) on beat-up junky cars. I'm pretty sure no insurance either. Even thru the neighborhood we have dummies doing 50mph in these junky cars. Its sad sometimes but as the neighborhood gets better the rents have been going up and the junky car people can no longer afford to live here.

But I have to ride thru intersections near other junky car people living quarters if I pedal to work. They run red lights on such a regular basis around here. I'm pretty sure they're not late going to a job! My motor scooter will hold a solid 65mph so I'm good on most surface streets. My bicycle route is a bit more hectic.
My daughter and Niece used to live there I just do not care much for that area OTH my SIL lives near the Naval airstation at Cherrypoint much, much better. The good thing about that area is the nice level areas to pedal and there is a lot of things going on,I reside in a mountain resort area with ever decreasing population not much going on for poor People. It is so quiet a car can hardly creep up on you." Ride Sally, ride".

I'm in a suburb of Seattle, WA, and I think people are generally pretty understanding. I think they are just not used to bikes going that fast, which is causing them to do things that they wouldn't do if they really thought about it.

I've actually found that other roads (even busier roads) where my speed is +/-20MPH interact more naturally than the ones where I'm going fast.

I used to live in Sea-Tac area in the early 90's, rode my 10-speed Huffy everywhere among the hills, maybe not as much vehicle traffic back then but I think riding among motor vehicle traffic is a skill you develop as you ride more.

Be aware of your surroundings at all time, make your presence known to others on the road; remember your rights, but also remember that you are more vulnerable.

Use your agility on the bike to your advantage over the cars,

hop on the curb or ride on the grass to avoid impact is perfectly fine,

don't limit your options by slamming on the brakes, that would reduce your ability to control the bike.

I filter through stopped car mirrors at red lights to the front of the light, that way the drivers know I'm on the road, too.

I thought going faster on the road would reduce the speed differential to cars and make me feel safer riding in the bike lane (aka bike gutter). What I've found is that drivers are so focused on I must pass all cyclists that what really happens is that there is still a 20+MPH speed differential... It's just that now I'm able to do 30MPH while being passed by someone at 50MPH.

There's a stretch of road I take regularly where I always maintain 28+MPH because of the hill leading into it. The speed limit is 30MPH, and it's all double yellow lines. I feel like most of the cars passing me realize about halfway through the maneuver that what they are doing is insane, but they are 100% committed to passing the "slow bicycle". At least there's something about doing 50 down a narrow road that causes them to move waaay over to the left.

(slightly related: Yesterday this didn't happen on one stretch of road with a 25MPH speed limit, so the Varia radar "forgot" about the car that was pacing me and I jumped when I shoulder checked and saw a car)
When living and working in Lost Wages NV I bought a little Toyota Yaris to sub for my Tundra and work day commutes. I sold it after 2000 miles of asshats needing to pass, even if I was running 10-15 over the limit.
SOLD!

Same result on 30mph city streets in MN. I’m running my BBSHD @35MPH and everything needed to pass.
IME 20mph and well planned routing and I can typically beat my wife in her cage.

Well written post. This has happened to me occasionally, but these are usually the minority of drivers - typically the angry entitled types. I live in a very urban area so I think the drivers are a bit more experienced.

But there are definitely people like you experienced who operate on a very simple logic of 'if I am behind a cyclist, I am going too slow'. Which was pretty reasonable for 30+ mph streets and non Tour de France cyclists. Whether these drivers will adjust to the advent of class 3 ebikes remains to be seen.

Haha I have definitely noticed this as well. Almost as if these people drive to vent their anger about their crappy car... One thing is though even the richer people drive like jerks in the poorer neighborhoods, those areas have just a primal violent vibe to most of the drivers, local or not.

I filter through stopped car mirrors at red lights to the front of the light, that way the drivers know I'm on the road, too.
Do you think you are gaining or loosing auto driver respect when you do this?

We stay in line where we stopped to avoid the "privileged ahole" appearance.

Does the serf gain respect through hyper-obedience to the local lord?

I've ridden bikes & motorcycles on five different continents.
Filtering to the front of intersection is what most folks on 2-wheel (bicycles, motorcycles, scooters, etc..) do around the world and in NYC, Philly & DC area.
In NYC, some intersections have designated area just behind the crosswalk for vehicles that can filter through cars to get to the front for red lights.
When 2-wheel vehicles filter to the front of intersection, it reduce overall congestion, cuts wait time for everyone in traffic & reduce overall pollution.
Seems to me, only drivers (in the US) have no clue of benefits of filtering for 2-wheel vehicles.

Not a serf, so unsure. I suspect an unruly serf will be put in their place by other serfs so as not to all be penalized by the lord.

I do know, as an auto and bike operator, my first thought is to open my door when aholes do as described.

That is vehicular assault, should get you in jail & lose your driver's license.
Just because you choose to operate a vehicle that can't filter to the front of intersection at red lights,
doesn't mean those who can filter need to sit behind you and inhale your fumes.

Last edited:
I'm also in the Seattle area, and while it does vary by neighborhood, by and large my experience mirrors yours.

Class 3 speeds are super helpful on urban streets and most streets in Seattle are 25mph. On 25mph streets most cars will go a little over 30 and are cautious passing a bike that is going the speed limit. But the streets that have a 30mph limit are arterials with wider lanes so the cars want to go 40 or 45.

There is one street I'm on regularly that used to be 30 but is now 25 with some mild speed bumps. It is amusing to have someone pass me then immediately have to brake for a speed bump or one of the few stop signs. I guess they want to feel like they are getting their $ worth out of their expensive suv by taking the bumps at speed. I usually make sure to stay right behind them for most of the 45ish blocks so maybe they can see they are holding me up everytime they slow down for one of the speed bumps :)

My wife gets so angry at the public transportation buses because they block a lane when doing a stop. I just know to not be behind one if possible. Another traffic blocker in my area is the slow moped. Mopeds are restricted to 35mph here but I've seen many struggle to get to 25mph! I think most of these mopeds are slow because of a lack of maintenance, so they would be extra unsafe at the full 35mph.

It's true, car drivers often don't want to be behind anything on 2 wheels. It's even true for motorcyclists. I've ridden both bikes and motorcycles for a very long time and I've noticed some drivers will try to pass or tailgate, no matter your speed. Not all, but some.

Back