Is it possible to lower the PAS level?

It's better if the battery is tight rather than loose. Some bikes have loose batteries and the forums for those bikes are full of issues with bikes cutting out or intermittent electrical issues, with one bike batteries have even fallen out. Carefull what you wish for!

Just got a reply back from RAD about my problem. . . . . . . . not really happy about the reply, because I want to be able to go 20mph. But, I will still give it a try and see if giving up the option of going 20mph will be worth having more resistance in PAS 1.

One of the difficulties of designing an electric bike is every rider is different. The amount of speed that will result from riding in different levels of PAS will depend on your weight, the total load on the bike, the terrain and incline you are riding on, etc. Because of this, it's hard to ensure that everyone has the exact same experience with our pedal assist. What is the right level of assistance for me might not be the same for the next person to hop on the bike.

We intend for each level of pedal assist to function roughly how you described (with PAS1 providing a little bit of help, PAS2 providing a little more, etc). However, the amount of power output required to do that is different from person to person and I'm truly sorry to hear that it hasn't felt as comfortable for your riding style as you would have liked!

One option that may make the bike more comfortable for you to ride would be to lower the maximum speed provided by the motor. This would cause the PAS to stop engaging at a lower speed and require more intense pedaling to achieve higher speeds.

It's better if the battery is tight rather than loose. Some bikes have loose batteries and the forums for those bikes are full of issues with bikes cutting out or intermittent electrical issues, with one bike batteries have even fallen out. Carefull what you wish for!
Feliz, that is a good point. I just need to go and buy a wooden spoon, as someone suggested, to help dislodge it. :)

Just got a reply back from RAD about my problem. . . . . . . .
One option that may make the bike more comfortable for you to ride would be to lower the maximum speed provided by the motor.
I would add to this wishlist - make that maximum speed easily adjustable, not just lower. A feature that comes standard in various aftermarket kits. Though, have a feeling that they really meant "power" and not "speed". Motor doesn't provide "speed", it provides RPM, power, torque. RPM per volt is usually fixed, it's a function of the winding.

Last edited:
I would add to this wishlist - make that maximum speed easily adjustable, not just lower. A feature that comes standard in various aftermarket kits. Though, have a feeling that they really meant "power" and not "speed". Motor doesn't provide "speed", it provides RPM, power, torque. RPM per volt is usually fixed, it's a function of the winding.

I think Alex meant to say "make the maximum VOLTAGE adjustable". We can already set/limit the speed at any level we want up to 24mph or whatever that number is. To date anyway. They could easily set that to some number they feel is appropriate and lock that down too.

It would appear that Rad has revealed that their display/controller does have some locked down adjustability features built into it..... Perhaps someday somebody will crack the procedure/code required to unlock that.

Last edited:
Vincent, Thank you for the tip about a possible flashdrive from Evelo to reprogram the pas level. If I could get a little more power in the lower pas levels, I wouldn't need to run it on level 5 so much, thus giving me more mileage per battery charge. I'll contact Evelo today. Their customer service is one of the very best I have ever encountered on any product I have ever owned.

DragNLady, Thank you also for your reply. One thing you suggested that I am for sure going to follow is going for a decent test ride. We live in WI and even though we are getting a late start, we plan on leaving for AZ within the next week or so. We will be staying in a RV park between Phoenix and Tucson. There should be a better selection of electric bike shops there than here. Also, I think I saw a couple of places in AZ where you could test ride Rads. Good luck with your bike and I hope you find a satisfactory solution.

Sander, just curious as to the specs on your bike, Watts, gearing? I did get a reflash program from Evelo but we have a 2018 Aurora.

AHicks - I didn't mean to limit or adjust maximum voltage to motor.
It's more common to limit max amperage, i.e. current. This results in limit to max power of motor.

Changing/limiting the power can be done either way, i.e. adjusting voltage or current - can't say how easy or practical would be toying with voltage instead of the current.

Last edited:
I did mis-speak when I said voltage. Thinking one thing and writing another.....

The LCD3 display has you adjusting wattage to get where you want to be. Makes no difference though. I think we're on the same page. Amperage, wattage, or even voltage maybe (though I haven't seen anything like that), whatever. The bigger point is you are limiting/adjusting power available to the motor with an adjustment done at the display.

To get the exercise you want with the safety of having a motor to get you up hills then your best bet is a geared hub drive with a throttle only power. Get a small motor - I like 500W - and a small 36V battery = 8AH gives about 15 miles. This keeps the weight down so it handles more like a normal bike when you decide to pedal. If you can return or sell the Rad Rover get a decent used bike and have someone install a kit on it for you.

Woodie, My bike is a 2016 Evelo Luna. It has a 250W mid-drive motor and a 36V 10ah battery. It came with the N360 NuVinci drivetrain but I had a problem and Evelo sent me the N380 replacement. Are there any other specs I'm missing? I planned on contacting Evelo today but got busy and forgot. Do you think there is anything that can be done to give my bike a little more power (speed) in a lower pas level? That sure would solve the problem I'm having with an otherwise great bike.

Yes, I was just told on the RAD FB site that I can get a gear with 58 teeth instead of the 40 the RAD comes with. But I don't want to go faster. I just want to get some exercise when I peddle, and when it is in PAS 1, I get no exercise at all, on flat land. There is no resistance when I peddle, therefore no exercise. Pedaling in PAS0 is too hard with a 70 pound bike. I need something between 0 and 1. Not possible I guess, so I will not be loving my bike.
I had the same problem but kept on asking the Tech Support and they had me change the setting to 12 on the magnetic Pas wheel even though it has only 8 and in doing so it gave me what I wanted.

Back