Is it possible to lower the PAS level?

Doesn't help the OP but I guess with a Bafang hub (or mid) drive it's just a matter of using a Bafang cable and reprogramming the controller/motor.
At least my friend just did this with his Surface604 Rook. Hopefully they'll all be this way soon. I believe the Radcity has a Shengyi direct drive doesn't it?

Others may have their own favorites, but of the displays I've been exposed to, the KT LCD3 (which happens to look very similar to the RAD display) offers the most user adjustments that can be changed directly from the 3 button switch (also very similar to the Rad display) although NOTHING is locked out! There's no degree in programming or electrical engineering required. It does have 2 downsides. First, it's WAY too much for the average person to deal with. The biggest reason for most of the challenge are the Chinglish directions, 25 pages or so, and each line on every pages needs to be interpreted. Incredible degree of control available for those with the patience to figure it out though. The other downside is, to my knowledge, none of the popular bike mfg's are using this display. I think this is possibly because even just decent support for it would be incredibly difficult to provide. It's not ready to go mainstrem yet in my estimation. If you want one, the easiest way to do it is with a hub kit. It does require a KT series compatible controller to be used with it. -Al

Last edited:
Others may have their own favorites, but of the displays I've been exposed to, the KT LCD3 (which happens to look very similar to the RAD display) offers the most user adjustments that can be changed directly from the 3 button switch (also very similar to the Rad display) although NOTHING is locked out! There's no degree in programming or electrical engineering required. It does have 2 downsides. First, it's WAY too much for the average person to deal with. The biggest reason for most of the challenge are the Chinglish directions, 25 pages or so, and each line on every pages needs to be interpreted. Incredible degree of control available for those with the patience to figure it out though. The other downside is, to my knowledge, none of the popular bike mfg's are using this display. I think this is possibly because even just decent support for it would be incredibly difficult to provide. It's not ready to go mainstrem yet in my estimation. If you want one, the easiest way to do it is with a hub kit. It does require a KT series compatible controller to be used with it. -Al

I have the colour version of that display on my eProdigy, KT-LCD8H I believe, it's awesome. Pretty much the same but with a couple awesome improvements. I find it VERY easy to use and not the least bit intimidating.

Possibly the improvements inspired the rewrite of that manual! That in itself would be a big improvement...

I wish you lived nearby. I think I could demonstrate this issue really is a non event pretty easily, on a ride lasting no more than 2 minutes (as long as it takes to get to 15mph). A simple gearing change really is all that is required, but apparently I'm struggling to get the idea across in a manner more people could follow.
AHicks, what exactly is the gearing change you are suggesting? Going from a 14 teeth to an 11teeth freewheel?
Can you exchange the RAD display for this one?

Possibly the improvements inspired the rewrite of that manual! That in itself would be a big improvement...

Well, the only improvements are in the settings modes, which were a nightmare in the older version which you have. And there is a good manual online and many videos on utube.

AHicks, what exactly is the gearing change you are suggesting? Going from a 14 teeth to an 11teeth freewheel?

Can you exchange the RAD display for this one?

Yes, the popular new gear used has an 11 tooth top gear, which are difficult to find on a freewheel unit, so there are few choices available.

https://www.amazon.com/DNP-Epoch-Fr...id=1489543616&sr=1-1&keywords=11+28+freewheel

I've read a couple of negative reviews regarding this unit, but there are MANY more very positive reviews, which would be in line with my experience using it. I love it. I can now keep up with the pedals to speeds a little over 20mph. Not that I go that fast frequently - but the option is there if I want it. I'm no longer limited to 15mph or so because I can't pedal any faster.

If you are going to have a tech make this mod for you, have him go through that second link I posted as there are a couple of options mentioned regarding the special wrench required towards the end. One is a socket looking affair, which will need to be modded. The other has a handle built on to it with a much larger center opening. This tool is the plan!

Regarding the display and controller, unfortunately, no. There is no plug and play solution - yet. There is a fellow on Youtube that's made one available for the Sonders bikes, and it seems like I heard him say he's working on one for the Rad bikes. IF he comes through on that, the mod is not that expensive, and worth every penny to those that would like additional control over what's going on with their bikes. What would make his kit unique would be it would be supplied with connectors matching the ones currently used on the bike - making an entire re-wire unnecessary.

I installed a full hub kit to allow the install of the LCD3 dislay and KT series controller on my bike, which replaced ALL of the bikes electronics, including the motor. The only thing I used over again was the battery. I figured if I'm going to get my hands dirty I'm going all out, so part of my conversion included a new 1500 watt motor. This conversion, including a new rear rim w/hub motor, was less than 300, and even after adding that price to the purchase price of the bike, that left it pretty affordable as compared to most any other similar bike on the market. This was my 3rd conversion, and I had it done in a day at an old man's puttering in the garage pace. Techs do them routinely in about 4 hours..... -Al

Yes, the popular new gear used has an 11 tooth top gear, which are difficult to find on a freewheel unit, so there are few choices available.

https://www.amazon.com/DNP-Epoch-Fr...id=1489543616&sr=1-1&keywords=11+28+freewheel

I've read a couple of negative reviews regarding this unit, but there are MANY more very positive reviews, which would be in line with my experience using it. I love it. I can now keep up with the pedals to speeds a little over 20mph. Not that I go that fast frequently - but the option is there if I want it. I'm no longer limited to 15mph or so because I can't pedal any faster.

If you are going to have a tech make this mod for you, have him go through that second link I posted as there are a couple of options mentioned regarding the special wrench required towards the end. One is a socket looking affair, which will need to be modded. The other has a handle built on to it with a much larger center opening. This tool is the plan!

Regarding the display and controller, unfortunately, no. There is no plug and play solution - yet. There is a fellow on Youtube that's made one available for the Sonders bikes, and it seems like I heard him say he's working on one for the Rad bikes. IF he comes through on that, the mod is not that expensive, and worth every penny to those that would like additional control over what's going on with their bikes. What would make his kit unique would be it would be supplied with connectors matching the ones currently used on the bike - making an entire re-wire unnecessary.

I installed a full hub kit to allow the install of the LCD3 dislay and KT series controller on my bike, which replaced ALL of the bikes electronics, including the motor. The only thing I used over again was the battery. I figured if I'm going to get my hands dirty I'm going all out, so part of my conversion included a new 1500 watt motor. This conversion, including a new rear rim w/hub motor, was less than 300, and even after adding that price to the purchase price of the bike, that left it pretty affordable as compared to most any other similar bike on the market. This was my 3rd conversion, and I had it done in a day at an old man's puttering in the garage pace. Techs do them routinely in about 4 hours..... -Al

AHicks, thank you so much for taking your time to explain all of this to me. I race a 1200HP dragster every summer, but know NOTHING about how it works mechanically, I just drive it. LOL. Same thing when it comes to my bike, I don't have a clue how things work, especially on an e-bike. Didn't get a chance to phone Rad yesterday, hopefully will get a chance this afternoon. If they can't give me a solution, I will do as you suggest. I will copy off everything you have written and give it to my bike tech. Just to be sure I am correct, all I need to do is have him change the freewheel from an 11teeth one to a 14. ? How long should that take him? Thanks!

We have a 14 tooth from the factory, but want an 11. Maybe just order that freewheel from Amazon yourself (using the link I posted) and hand it to the tech doing the work? No room for error or misunderstanding that way.

If he's familiar with e-bikes, I'd be surprised if it took him more than an hour. 2 hours max. There's no other modifications required as part of this mod. The chain is long enough as is, and usually even the deraileur won't need to be adjusted for smooth shifting.

If he doesn't have one already, he will need a special wrench. If you're going to print anything off, print the conversations regarding that (last half of the second link). If he gets into something or has questions you can't answer, have him contact me at [email protected]

We all have special talents, realized or not. Every one of us. I learned that a long time ago. When I was a kid, I thought everyone was following easily when I would get into something like this. It wasn't until I was in my 40's and managing a crew that would just nod when I asked if they were following, even if they were clueless. Big life lesson realizing sometimes I need to slow down a bit.

Your talent, the ability to launch something like that with accuracy when it comes to split second timing, require the reflexes of a nervous cat...... even if you don't know how to build that engine!

I know brain surgeons that don't know which end of the screwdriver fits the screw....

We just need to to get along utilizing our talents and those of others. If we can do that, everything will be fine!

-Al

We have a 14 tooth from the factory, but want an 11. Maybe just order that freewheel from Amazon yourself (using the link I posted) and hand it to the tech doing the work? No room for error or misunderstanding that way.

If he's familiar with e-bikes, I'd be surprised if it took him more than an hour. 2 hours max. There's no other modifications required as part of this mod. The chain is long enough as is, and usually even the deraileur won't need to be adjusted for smooth shifting.

If he doesn't have one already, he will need a special wrench. If you're going to print anything off, print the conversations regarding that (last half of the second link). If he gets into something or has questions you can't answer, have him contact me at [email protected]

We all have special talents, realized or not. Every one of us. I learned that a long time ago. When I was a kid, I thought everyone was following easily when I would get into something like this. It wasn't until I was in my 40's and managing a crew that would just nod when I asked if they were following, even if they were clueless. Big life lesson realizing sometimes I need to slow down a bit.

Your talent, the ability to launch something like that with accuracy when it comes to split second timing, require the reflexes of a nervous cat...... even if you don't know how to build that engine!

I know brain surgeons that don't know which end of the screwdriver fits the screw....

We just need to to get along utilizing our talents and those of others. If we can do that, everything will be fine!

-Al
Okay, thank you so much AHicks, will call Rad tomorrow and make a decision as to what to do. How else will the bike react differently by making that change?

I doubt seriously that you've ever ridden your bike in it's 1st gear, or even it's 2nd. Those will be affected as well. Your new 1st gear, after the change, will be similar to what you now have as 2nd. Don't worry about that. Have the mod done and go enjoy your bike - done the way it should have been done.....

Calling Rad regarding this change will be a waste of breath. Getting them to admit they've made a mistake regarding ANYTHING on that bike will be nothing but frustrating. They have all been brainwashed into believing they do no wrong, that the bike is a picture of perfection as is. At best, you might get them to admit that the 2019 bikes will be equipped with this same new gear we're talking about.

Just got my Rad City Step Thru. I really like it except for 2 things. The battery is quite difficult to remove, I have hurt my fingers and broken a couple of nails trying to remove it. I hated the first e-bike I bought but it had a handle on the battery which made it SO easy to remove! Why don't all manufacturers add a handle to the battery to make it easy to remove? The second thing is that when I have it in PAS 1, gear 7, it is too easy to pedal (15mph with no effort) and I get no exercise at all. (I ride on level ground, no hills). PAS 0 is too difficult as I have added 10 pounds in accessories and it is a very heavy bike. I don't understand why level one is such a high assist. I would like a .5 assist. My bike tech in Canada told me he could hook it up to his computer and lower the strength of PAS. But when I asked that on the RAD FB forum, one person said that is not possible. Who is right? Is it possible or not? Thank you for your help!
Your complaint is shared by many. Juiced Bikes re-programmed the controller on their newer bikes to provide a PAS 0 (which they didn't have before, and which I understand wouldn't help you) and lowered the assist level in Eco mode so that it takes more pedaling to go the same speed (which sounds like what you want.)

None of that helps you since you have a Rad, not a Juiced bike. But you might like knowing you're not in this alone. I'd love to have one of the new Juiced Bikes, although I'm happy with the one I've got (Crosscurrent S.)

I do have one suggestion. You said a tech told you he could re-program the controller, and there's a difference of opinion as to whether that's really possible. In theory, it is. Whether it can be done on Rad's hardware, I couldn't say. Why not take him up on it, if it doesn't cost an arm and a leg? You might get to have a bike you'd love. Just a thought.

Your complaint is shared by many. Juiced Bikes re-programmed the controller on their newer bikes to provide a PAS 0 (which they didn't have before, and which I understand wouldn't help you) and lowered the assist level in Eco mode so that it takes more pedaling to go the same speed (which sounds like what you want.)

None of that helps you since you have a Rad, not a Juiced bike. But you might like knowing you're not in this alone. I'd love to have one of the new Juiced Bikes, although I'm happy with the one I've got (Crosscurrent S.)

I do have one suggestion. You said a tech told you he could re-program the controller, and there's a difference of opinion as to whether that's really possible. In theory, it is. Whether it can be done on Rad's hardware, I couldn't say. Why not take him up on it, if it doesn't cost an arm and a leg? You might get to have a bike you'd love. Just a thought.

Thanks Bruce, for your input. The bike tech that told me he could re-program the PAS levels is in Canada and I am in Arizona for the winter. :)

Thanks Bruce, for your input. The bike tech that told me he could re-program the PAS levels is in Canada and I am in Arizona for the winter. :)
And I do appreciate knowing that I am not the only one with this problem. A few guys on the RAD FB page said they thought I was a troll, just because I said that PAS 1 was too easy.

Re-programing the the bike for less assist in PAS 1 is not an option. If the factory display is even capable, Rad has it locked out, and there are no other display/controllers that are compatible - yet. I went with a hub kit as well, to get a display and controller I could configure MY way as well.
Yes, for some reason very few factory bikes at that price offer fully programmable controller. I've been looking at this programmable kit for some time - it replaces pretty much all the electrical guts of Rad City, for $600. https://www.ebikekit.com/collections/bicycle-kits/products/e-bikekit-performance-rear-no-battery. You can set max amps output. Not sure if this limit works for all the PAS levels at the same time, i.e. you won't get more than N amps no matter what PAS.

Alex, I'd love to discuss this further, but I think it's deserving of a new topic rather than having this info buried where it might not be seen by some considering the same move.

Is it only women who complain that the bike goes too fast in PAS 1? Yesterday a guy friend (who owns an e-bike) asked me how I liked my new bike and I said I was unhappy with it, because it went too fast in PAS 1. He asked to take it for a ride. He came back and said there was no way he would be able to ride it in PAS 1 for more than a mile, it was too difficult. He said he had to have it in PAS 2 or 3 to be comfortable and he is in good shape! So that tells me that the problem of too much power of PAS 1 is all about the weight of the person riding the bike. He weighs 80 pounds more than I do. Bike manufacturers need to make the controller on women's bikes different than mens!

Yes, for some reason very few factory bikes at that price offer fully programmable controller. I've been looking at this programmable kit for some time - it replaces pretty much all the electrical guts of Rad City, for $600. https://www.ebikekit.com/collections/bicycle-kits/products/e-bikekit-performance-rear-no-battery. You can set max amps output. Not sure if this limit works for all the PAS levels at the same time, i.e. you won't get more than N amps no matter what PAS.
Thanks for that info, but I am not willing to spend another $600. on the bike, as it is brand new. I would rather sell it and buy something else, which is what I may end up doing.

I think the load on the bike has a very definite effect on it's rolling resistance - which is going to have a major impact on how hard it is to pedal. I also think that having more available adjustments built into the display/controller is a much better option than having step through (women's) bikes come through calibrated differently. FYI, a lot of guys are riding these now. Have you decided not to go with the new freewheel gear now?

I think the load on the bike has a very definite effect on it's rolling resistance - which is going to have a major impact on how hard it is to pedal. I also think that having more available adjustments built into the display/controller is a much better option than having step through (women's) bikes come through calibrated differently. FYI, a lot of guys are riding these now. Have you decided not to go with the new freewheel gear now?

I just asked my bike tech if he can change my crankset. Apparently, from what I hear, many bike shops will not do it. Guys on the Rad FB group say the Pro Lite is a good crankset and many say they enjoy their bike far better after making the change. So, I will give that a try. I just want to know exactly what the differences will be with this new crankset. It will make it harder to pedal in first gear, which would be fantastic. But some people say I will go faster. I don't want to go faster. I just want to get some exercise is PAS 1, so want it harder to pedal.

Back