iPhone Mount / Recording on Rize bars

aWanderer

Region
Canada
Been looking for some way to mount my iPhone to the handlebars in such a way that the camera could be used to record as well. Has anyone found something that fits this use case or have suggestions?
Doesn't seem to be much room on the Rize bars. I saw some bar extensions but the clamps are short as well so just not sure.

I ended up buying the following as a solution:

Bike Handlebar Extender
DJI Osmo ActionCam
GoPro Handlebar mount

This works very well for me. The DJI Osmo ActionCam stabilization is amazing.

Rize bike camera mount - 1.jpeg

Here is a video showing the extreme shaking of the camera. After we began our ride at Gregg Lake, AB on Kettle Trail, the mounts came VERY loose. I figured for sure the video would be useless. This is the first ride with the rig on the bike. I didn't have tools with me to fix it so I just left it. Turns out, the video was at least usable.

You can see the camera mount at the bottom of the video.

I ended up buying the following as a solution:

Bike Handlebar Extender
DJI Osmo ActionCam
GoPro Handlebar mount
I installed the 2-arm version of that one on both my RIZE bikes for phone and 2nd headlight mounting. Quite happy with them, just don't over tighten as they can strip out pretty easily.

As for the OP - Phone mounts: I have long used a small-rig multi function clamp for general phone mounting duties, including on motorcycle trips, and if cranked down firmly (It's all metal), it works fine. I have an all metal phone clamp as well that I've used for years with the small rig arm. These ones:

However, I just got an iPhone 12 pro Max last spring and it won't fit in the clamp, so I have just gone to the Rokform system. It came with a 1" ball twist lock mount that works with all my RAM Mounts. It's pricey, but the mounts are also mostly metal, and it seems to be pretty stable so far. Probably overbuilt for just bicycle use, and the quadlock system is cheaper and similar, but since I use it on my ADV motorcycle off road, I like the heavy duty options.

Do be aware that Apple issued this warning re vibration and potential damage to IPhone cameras on motorcycles.
How, or even if, that might translate to an ebike, on rough surfaces, is not mentioned.

Do be aware that Apple issued this warning re vibration and potential damage to IPhone cameras on motorcycles.
How, or even if, that might translate to an ebike, on rough surfaces, is not mentioned.

That is another reason I went to the Rokform system with my RAM mounts, as it has an available vibration dampener - that I've still got to order. The camera stopped working on my old iPhone after 4 years of hard use (non-stabilized), but it was well off contract so I didn't want to bother with it. The new 12 Pro Max has some image stabilization, so I'm assuming it's going to be more prone to damage.

Back