International transport of an ebike

Lynn983

Region
Australia
I bought a beautiful Scott road ebike in France last year as felt I would struggle with the climbs now on my regular bike. Unfortunately we didnt do enough homework and accepted the bike shops advice that we could ship it home. Not the case. It was held with a hazmat sticker at the airport and is still in France. We are heading back this month so I will still be able to do those amazing climbs with my husband but would like to bring it home. We have looked into taking the battery out and shipping separately but have now been told this also is not possible as would need an import license. Other than leaving the battery in France and buying another battery here - at about $1300 - does anyone have any suggestions ??

Attachments

• IMG_2091.jpeg
    IMG_2091.jpeg
    384.9 KB · Views: 54
Wow, that's a steep battery price!
You could have someone remove the cells from the battery case, ship the case with the bms and dispose of the cells. Then when you receive the battery case you could have someone reinstall new cells. The battery cells shouldn't be too expensive, but the labor might cost. That's what I would do, but being a DYI kinda guy I'd do it myself. Though working on batteries is inherently risky and requires skills, knowledge, and tools.

Wow, that's a steep battery price!
You could have someone remove the cells from the battery case, ship the case with the bms and dispose of the cells. Then when you receive the battery case you could have someone reinstall new cells. The battery cells shouldn't be too expensive, but the labor might cost. That's what I would do, but being a DYI kinda guy I'd do it myself. Though working on batteries is inherently risky and requires skills, knowledge, and tools.
Many thanks for your reply. Yes - we were gutted to find out the price of a new battery. It's a Mahle - not sure of the specs but even that has to be sent from Melbourne to us in Perth at a cost. We havnt heard of anyone taking out the cells - we definitely are not DIY people - so will ask the bike shop about that - cheers

Things just cost more in Australia, but I imagine it's worth it. Maybe your Scott dealer in France can take the battery on consignment and get you a little money. Looks like a good bike worth bringing home, unless you plan to be back in Euro[e soon,

I bought a beautiful Scott road ebike in France last year as felt I would struggle with the climbs now on my regular bike. Unfortunately we didnt do enough homework and accepted the bike shops advice that we could ship it home. Not the case. It was held with a hazmat sticker at the airport and is still in France. We are heading back this month so I will still be able to do those amazing climbs with my husband but would like to bring it home. We have looked into taking the battery out and shipping separately but have now been told this also is not possible as would need an import license. Other than leaving the battery in France and buying another battery here - at about $1300 - does anyone have any suggestions ??
Where are you getting the information regarding an import licence? Just curious as I have brought batteries overseas in the past and had them posted to Perth without any issues.

Thanks for the last two posts. Unfortunately the bike shop in France (a Scott dealer) is being less than helpful - they would really like us to just go away as it's all become too hard. My bike was returned to them from the airport and they still have it. We plan on picking it up in a couple of weeks and then have to made a decision on what to do. The info regarding the import licence came from a shipping company here in Australia who claim to freight "anything from anywhere" however seems just not ebikes. They advise that ebike batteries here come in large consignments so that the cost of the import licence is reduced. So bringing just one battery in is not possible. I think if the battery is less than 100W it can be carried as hand luggage but for a bike they would be over 200W. I havnt double checked but certainly they were unable / unwilling to ship my bike.

Could you just sell the bike in France and buy new when you get home? Yes, you'll take a loss, but it will be at least partially offset by the savings in shipping costs.

I will check again the 2 x links above. We are now on route to France - at least I will have a good bike for the few weeks we are there again. Yes - I probably could sell the bike while there and might do that if it gets too hard. Part of the reason I am reluctant to sell - is they are not importing that or a similar bike into Australia. But having said that I am sure there will be others

Yes - I probably could sell the bike while there and might do that if it gets too hard. Part of the reason I am reluctant to sell - is they are not importing that or a similar bike into Australia. But having said that I am sure there will be others
Since that particular bike isn't available in Australia, getting parts and / or people to work on it could be a problem. It might be better to get another brand locally.

Agree with @6zfshdb on this one. Cut your losses by selling it in France and purchase an ebike with a reputable drive system back home in Australia. If you ever venture back to France, look into renting an ebike.

Back