Interceptor VS. City Commuter?

I'm not lobbying against Pedego, merely providing my sources for what I've read in response to your comment upstream, "I read everything I find about Pedego and I do not see what you read."

I'm done. Continue providing your "wisdom" to those who are persuaded. If I need one, I'll be comfortable spending $3K for another Pedego. I guess I am stupid at age 86, after a lifetime owning quality, pricey toys.

Hey guys. Chill. You seem offended at each other's opinion? Why do you care so much about Pedego's rep? The bottom line is every bike/toy/etc. will have issues. That's not the debate here. Let's refocus on the topic and facts. Everyone has a difference of opinion and should be treated/respected as such.

I've read all the arguments and test road a few Pedegos. Inevitability the purchaser will be the deciding factor on what "Brand" they go with. Dragging out a few facts, that have now become dated and unproductive, are not contributing to this topic anymore.

I appreciate all the information presented here and hope to further test ride some bikes and come to a decision.

Hey guys. Chill. You seem offended at each other's opinion? Why do you care so much about Pedego's rep? The bottom line is every bike/toy/etc. will have issues. That's not the debate here. Let's refocus on the topic and facts. Everyone has a difference of opinion and should be treated/respected as such. I've read all the arguments and test road a few Pedegos. Inevitability the purchaser will be the deciding factor on what "Brand" they go with. Dragging out a few facts, that have now become dated and unproductive, are not contributing to this topic anymore. I appreciate all the information presented here and hope to further test ride some bikes and come to a decision.

Well said. We agree. I apologize to the forum for any over the top remarks.

Well, P is sending me some CC handlebars for my I3. My question is, how difficult is it (for a no nothing) to swap over the gear? O should I take it to a bike shop and, if so, will a non-ebike store do?

I don't know how easy or difficult such a task is, but any LBS should be willing to swap handlebars if you pay them. No, I have no idea what such a thing might cost.

Changing handle bars is relatively easy task, I changed mine in about 15 minutes. I watched this video and had no problems.
Here is the end result:

Attachments

• 2015-06-13 13.39.51 (1024x768).jpg
    2015-06-13 13.39.51 (1024x768).jpg
    660.8 KB · Views: 379
Back to the original question of Interceptor vs. Commuter and I feel that I am qualified to answer as I have have both and if I could have done it over again I think I would have gotten two Interceptors. Why ? I feel that the Interceptor is a better built bike. We picked them both up back in FEB-2015 and have a bit over 300 miles on them. So far no big problems but a few small adjustment issues. First, I was unhappy with the blue on the city commuter as its one of those colors that depending on the lighting its can be blue or purple. I think my wife was disappointed with that. We ride these only on rail - trail so no road use but it seems that the commuter rattles / clicks and makes more noise as we go along... Also, I have to adjust the break cut-off switch on the commuter from time to time. The only issue with the interceptor is that it seems to forget some of the trips we take and I need to contact pedgo about that.

We got these with the highest battery capacity and the starting price of the commuter was much lower than the interceptor but ended up being the same with the upgraded electrical system. I am a big guy at 265 lbs and I feel more stable on the interceptor vs commuter but that's probably the tire size.

Range wise they are great. Our longest ride so far was 35 miles on pedal assist 2 and had better that 50% battery capacity left. They was a rail trail with slight grades. We ride 25 miles near our house weekly and keep it above 80% on the capacity so we are very impressed. Out of curiosity I measured the cost to see what it takes to charge two batteries at 11 cents per KW with a 50% discharge so its 7 cents. Not bad to go 70 miles (2 bikes) and only cost 7 cents ! If it ever stops raining here in Pennsylvania we have some 50 and 70 mile trips planned.

To sum it it.. Great bikes... No big problems yet... And someday may just trade up the commuter to an interceptor.

Ken

Great post @Ken Frazier, thank you for your feedback. I'm still on the fence as which ebike i'm going to get. But the Interceptor is still in the top 3.

Back to the original question of Interceptor vs. Commuter and I feel that I am qualified to answer as I have have both and if I could have done it over again I think I would have gotten two Interceptors. Why ? I feel that the Interceptor is a better built bike. We picked them both up back in FEB-2015 and have a bit over 300 miles on them. So far no big problems but a few small adjustment issues. First, I was unhappy with the blue on the city commuter as its one of those colors that depending on the lighting its can be blue or purple. I think my wife was disappointed with that. We ride these only on rail - trail so no road use but it seems that the commuter rattles / clicks and makes more noise as we go along... Also, I have to adjust the break cut-off switch on the commuter from time to time. The only issue with the interceptor is that it seems to forget some of the trips we take and I need to contact pedgo about that.

We got these with the highest battery capacity and the starting price of the commuter was much lower than the interceptor but ended up being the same with the upgraded electrical system. I am a big guy at 265 lbs and I feel more stable on the interceptor vs commuter but that's probably the tire size.

Range wise they are great. Our longest ride so far was 35 miles on pedal assist 2 and had better that 50% battery capacity left. They was a rail trail with slight grades. We ride 25 miles near our house weekly and keep it above 80% on the capacity so we are very impressed. Out of curiosity I measured the cost to see what it takes to charge two batteries at 11 cents per KW with a 50% discharge so its 7 cents. Not bad to go 70 miles (2 bikes) and only cost 7 cents ! If it ever stops raining here in Pennsylvania we have some 50 and 70 mile trips planned.

To sum it it.. Great bikes... No big problems yet... And someday may just trade up the commuter to an interceptor.

Ken
Howdy Neighbor (PA) and welcome! I sent you a PM, should be in your inbox.

Howdy Neighbor (PA) and welcome! I sent you a PM, should be in your inbox.

My 2015 step thru Interceptor III is a strong, powerful bike although a tad big and heavy. It really doesn't bother me much although I'm age 86 and down to 5'10", 165 pounds. My bike was the first 2015 received by Pedego from China in September 2014. Pedego upgraded the plain vanilla stem mine came with to an adjustable stem. Pedego was nice enough to send me the upgraded stem. Also, I didn't find the wide cruiser handlebars comfortable so Pedego sent me narrower handlebars. They are nice people!

I agree on the heavy part. I use a 3 point hitch carrier and its on a 1 ton pickup truck so its up a bit high. Always got to save a bit of energy to pick up two bikes at the end of the trip !

Ken

Earlier in this conversation @grench stated he was 300 lbs and the bike didn't feel solid. But @GatorBob stated that at 165 lbs it felt rock solid. Being that I'm a large fellow, 5'11 and 277 lbs now (was 330 a year ago) I'd have to side with the heavier person. However, in Courts latest review of the 2015 interceptor and his convo with Pedego at interbike 2014, they introduced the 'alloy' wheel which can carry 350-400 lbs? I'm fairly sure it's 350 lbs. and never needs to be trued. How awesome is that? The continued down side to Pedego, and why I am still reluctant to purchase one is the rear rack battery.

In their newest bike the Pedego Stretch, they show the capability of moving that pack to behind the seat post, and at interbike they reveal their "test" moutain bike, which boasts the battery in the downtube for better weight distribution. As it has been discussed in other forums and threads, mid-mounted batteries in the downtube and mid-drives are pushing the business forward. Why hasn't Pedego opted to place their batteries in the downtube or at least behind the seat post for slightly better balancing and weight distribution.

Aside note, I think Pedego is doing great, and have some great eBikes lined up for the future, but seriously need to reconfigure that honken battery pack.

Back