If you had to choose one lock...

Riversurf

So, if you had to choose one lock for your ebike, which one would it be?

My first ebike (modified Kalkhoff B7) will be ready in a couple of days. At first I'll keep it only in my garage/home or my office. But I hope to use it for quick errands at some point.

PS: I am aware that every bike lock on the market can be defeated or cut.

Thanks!

RS

I would choose a longer ulock version of this Xena XSU69 lock. This XSU69 is the one I have. It's made in the UK. Note: This XSU69 model lock is actually 16mm, not 18mm, and it's just over 2lbs, not 2.5lbs. The longer Ulock would allow for attachment to stationary bike rack or pole plus go through the back tire and bike frame.

HERE'S a direct link to the Xena Ulock I would purchase (the XSU210 model).

xenalock500x300-jpg.23057

Steve ...
Please consider a ring frame lock.

With a frame lock permanently attached to your ebike, "Don't leave home without it!" becomes "You cannot leave home without it!"

Frame locks are often enthusiastically disparaged by cyclists living in cities patrolled by angle grinder-wielding gangs of ne'er-do-wells; however, for those of us who live in gentler social environments, frame locks - especially when combined with an easily carried plug-in chain (or one left at home/work) - are admirably suited to our requirements.

AXA, whose locks I use, have a fifteen-point security rating for their bicycle locks which makes comparisons within their range easy...
  • AXA foldable locks : 9
  • AXA U-locks : 8 to 15
  • AXA Victory frame lock & chain (photo below & on my Kalkhoff ) : 15
  • AXA Block XXL frame lock & chain (on my eMTB) : 15.

axa_victory_a.jpg

... David

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a lock similar to David Berry's. My Gazelle Arroyo came with the AXA Defender ring frame lock preinstalled (called a "cafe" lock by my LBS). It has the slot for the plug-in chain or cable, but that didn't come with the bike. I am in the USA and couldn't find the AXA chain or cable available anywhere, so I ended up buying the AXA Newton PI 150 plug-in coiled cable from a German seller on eBay. The shipping cost more than the item, but even with that it was still a reasonable price ($25 total USD including shipping). I think the combination of the two (AXA Defender plus PI 150 cable) has a security rating of 15 (AXA's rating system), but I don't really know what that means. It seems to be one of their highest bike lock ratings.

In any case, I really like the lock for its convenience. The Newton PI150 cable came with a seat-post quick release attachment system which keeps it neat and out of the way. It means I always have the cable with me and makes it extremely easy to use and store away again. The system looks similar to this:

Attachments

• E0006115.jpg
    E0006115.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 1,119
Last edited:
I have a lock similar to David Berry's. My Gazelle Arroyo came with the AXA Defender ring frame lock preinstalled (called a "cafe" lock by my LBS). It has the slot for the plug-in chain or cable, but that didn't come with the bike. I am in the USA and couldn't find the AXA chain or cable available anywhere, so I ended up buying the AXA Newton PI 150 plug-in coiled cable from a German seller on eBay. The shipping cost more than the item, but even with that it was still a reasonable price ($25 total USD including shipping). I think the combination of the two (AXA Defender plus PI 150 cable) has a security rating of 15 (AXA's rating system), but I don't really know what that means. It seems to be one of their highest bike lock ratings.

In any case, I really like the lock for its convenience. The Newton PI150 cable came with a seat-post quick release attachment system which keeps it neat and out of the way. It means I always have the cable with me and makes it extremely easy to use and store away again. The system looks similar to this:

Thank you. I had thought researching Ebikes themselves was mind spinning, but really a lot of fun. Didn't know it would be the same for locks, but definitely not as much fun.

Abus Granit X- plus 540 D-lock. Its one of the best rated locks on the market. Either I'm riding my bike or it has the Abus lock on it. The rule of thumb is to spend no less than 10% of the value of your bike on locks. $2000 bike means $200 worth of lock/s. The most important thing to remember though is that it doesn't matter what type of lock you have if it isn't actually used!!!
Check out Court's video on bike security

Steve ...

With a frame lock permanently attached to your ebike, "Don't leave home without it!" becomes "You cannot leave home without it!"

Frame locks are often enthusiastically disparaged by cyclists living in cities patrolled by angle grinder-wielding gangs of ne'er-do-wells; however, for those of us who live in gentler social environments, frame locks - especially when combined with an easily carried plug-in chain (or one left at home/work) - are admirably suited to our requirements.

AXA, whose locks I use, have a fifteen-point security rating for their bicycle locks which makes comparisons within their range easy...

View attachment 23704

... David
do you know where a person can by the chain. unable to locate on amazon or online.

Abus Granit X- plus 540 D-lock. Its one of the best rated locks on the market. Either I'm riding my bike or it has the Abus lock on it. The rule of thumb is to spend no less than 10% of the value of your bike on locks. $2000 bike means $200 worth of lock/s. The most important thing to remember though is that it doesn't matter what type of lock you have if it isn't actually used!!!
Check out Court's video on bike security

I was thinking of getting this lock, and also getting a 10mm or 12mm security chain for times when there is not anything for the u-lock to fit through, and then use the u-lock to lock the chain and bike together.

Do you think that would work? Do you know the dimensions of the shackle of the 540 lock? I wonder if it is small enough to fit through a 3/8" or 1/2" security chain. Abus makes chains and also noose chains as well.

Otherwise, the abus citychain 1060/110 seems like a good security/weight ratio.

Last edited:

What lock do you use to lock it up? I am wondering if I can get an Abus 540 U-Lock through that Abus 10KS or an Abus 12KS chain.

That Abus 10KS chain that you used was reviewed here, and was a little concerning. Thinking of the Abus 12KS chain instead:

Last edited:
Steve ...

View attachment 23704

... David
I David, I would like to buy the AXA Bloc XXl for my Trek Allant +7.

The space between the existing holes is 103mm , do you think it will fit?

I have just a basic lock but my bike has a wireless key-fob remote to power the bike up, a movement sensor (a siren goes off if the bike is moved) and a GPS tracker.

The one thing I'd love to fit would be a relay to short 2 phases of the motor so the hub becomes an electric brake, but I've got a geared hub so it won't work.

Back