I could not remove my Intuvia controller on my-new-to-me 2017 Gazelle C8 NL there is a very tiny locking screw!

Jmedvm

Region
USA
City
Mesa, Arizona
I have a new-to-me 2017 Gazelle C7 NL with an Intuvia controller. I am an E-Bike newbie and just figuring it all out. I wanted to remove the Intuvia as suggested when I lock my bike up somewhere (oh my goodness my Auto-Incorrect kept changing “lock” to “lick”??!!) . I also live in Arizona and it can be over 115 F degrees (46C) in my garage so I figured it may be healthier for it I’d I brought it inside. I could NOT for the life of me remove the display: it would not budge when depressing the release button. I thought I was nuts, I am pretty handy, can fix bikes etc but??? So I finally removed the handlebar mount and discovered a tiny locking screw under the mount! When loosened the Intuvia slid off and on easily. Just thought I would share this in case it may help anyone else who buys a used bike….my guess is it is not the default on new bikes!
Cheers!

ya that's the security screw. usually they aren to installed. I had to hunt them down so I don't have to remove my displays.

ya that's the security screw. usually they aren to installed. I had to hunt them down so I don't have to remove my displays.
So do you feel secure leaving the display locked on with the nut tightened? Wow that’s a tiny screw!

So do you feel secure leaving the display locked on with the nut tightened? Wow that’s a tiny screw!
yes just snug it up. it wont come loose. had my kiox that way my intuvia and now two Nyons. it doesn't to take much to keep it from sliding out.

yes just snug it up. it wont come loose. had my kiox that way my intuvia and now two Nyons. it doesn't to take much to keep it from sliding out.
Mine has been slid on & off probably a thousand times now and is still fine.
I'm too paranoid to allow thieves a more complete setup to flog (aussie for steal).

The false security of that small bolt is that the slides that locate the display on the base are less than 1mm thick. A well placed smack with a hand and you have the display off the base. Our son crashed on my Haibke full seven and the the display was dangling off the side of the base when I picked up the bike. I used it for at least a year with 2 zip ties and the security bolt holding it on the base. So with all things bicycle, a thief can easily get any part they want, any time they want, in short order.

Yes I totally agree. I took the screw out so I could take it off and on. It looked like a very tint thing to count on protecting an expensive controller! Besides the thievery aspect of it my bike is in my garage which gets over, I am sure, 115F in the summer (46C) here in Arizona.
Thank you

And if they get through my motion sensing alarm and lock(s) then having the display on-bike make's it easier to get away with.

Back