HyperFat Accessories, Add-ons, Changes and Feedback

One thing that I'm looking into is a neoprene battery cover for the winter. Does anybody know of an aftermarket option that might fit? Do people make their own?
I saw a youtube video of a professional racer who uses a piece of an emergency foil-type blanket to wrap his battery. I have done so as well and then wrapped black gorilla tape over the blanket. It seems to be a little more efficient, but at this point it is a little hard to be sure because we have just recently had a bit of a warm spell (up to 55 F). I expect that I'll remove it once we reach 70 in the spring. Another positive aspect of the wrap is that the battery now fits better, more securely, tighter in the holder. Below is the spreadsheet that I am using to track my battery usage and how I intend to try to determine efficiency.
17.4 Ah Lithium Battery Usage.png

Last edited:
I also plan on getting the Origin8 slick fat tires for the non-snow months.
I just got mine a few trips back (we rarely have snow here in the Greater Seattle area). They do appear to roll and turn significantly easier. They do tend to pick up very small rocks that tend to make noise for a while unless you pick them out, however. Other than that they are very quiet.

I just changed to a different chainring to experiment with the lower gearing for mountain biking. The Shimano Tourney was about $50. I haven't taken it out in the mountains yet, but can tell you that the chain doesn't drop in the bigger ring even though it's a little farther away from the frame. It is a 50T/34T sized chainring combination.
IMG_8511.JPG
IMG_8512.JPG

Last edited:
What's the safest / best way to tap into my Hyperfat battery power for use with a 12v-PS/5v dashcam/action cam? I'm going to be installing one of these even though it's meant for a motorcycle. (Hyperfat might as well be a motorcycle the way it rides) :)
It should start recording as soon as bike battery power is turned on is the plan. "Accessory Power" in car/bike speak.
http://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38858
I have a few special mounts to make it attach in a set-it and forget it away.
Thoughts/Suggestions?
Did you ever follow through with your dashcam/action cam?

That looks really cool. I think a local bike shop here has some experience with them. I'm going to stop in and talk to them about it. I'll let you all know what I find out.
Did you ever follow through on the research into the Paterson?

I just changed to a different chainring to experiment with the lower gearing for mountain biking. The Shimano Tourney was about $50. I haven't taken it out in the mountains yet, but can tell you that the chain doesn't drop in the bigger ring even though it's a little farther away from the frame. It is a 50T/34T sized chainring combination.View attachment 19870View attachment 19871
Have you had the opportunity to try out the 34T much yet?

Just reached 1146 miles and had to replace the brake pads and one cable for the Shimano brakes. Should have had it done at least 50 miles ago. Could have avoided a rather painful crash and at least a couple near misses. Surprisingly, during the crash the handlebars and front wheel were rotated about 180 degrees, but no cables were pulled out or damaged even after all the changes I've made to the front end. Did think it was prudent to have the headset adjusted however, since the front wheel and handlebars were out of alignment after the crash (naturally, being as careless as I sometimes am, I just muscled them back into approximate alignment and continued on my ride). I had REI replace the parts and do the labor for about $60 including tax. I don't think my brakes have ever worked this well. For those of you who may be as careless as me, don't postpone necessary maintenance like I did; you may not be as lucky as me.

Contacted Juiced about fenders, (they do look very durable) was told they will be in stock soon and an invoice was made so I will get an email when available. Was told they are likely to be around 70 dollars. FYI

I've got about 100 miles on the bike so far and I'm loving it! I ride most of the time in ECO or 1 since that easily puts me in the mid-20's and helps reduce the battery draw and use. It's cold here now (mid teens) in the mornings and just a little better in the afternoon. Some of the changes that I've made already are an accessory bar that I mounted the light on. I like it up higher. I just drilled a hole through the aluminum mounting bar and bolted it to that with the existing hardware. I also put on an Ibera fat bike rack and it fit almost perfect. Since I didn't need the spacers I had to get shorter bolts, but were easy to get in stainless at the local hardware store. I plan on getting their rack pack with expanding panniers. I also got a handlebar bag to hold a couple of tools and the battery key as well as my phone. One of my most needed adds was the fenders. I got the RadBikes full fenders for the RadRover and they required just a little bit of modification to fit great. The rear wheel is a little bit of a pain to take off since I'm used to non ebikes. For the rear fenders I drilled out the rivets and drilled a hole in the plastic at the right point for the upper cross mount, but that was all. Since I will use this year-round for commuting in snow and rain the fenders will be fantastic.

My next addition is coming Monday and that's a chain keeper, the ChainSpy2. I've noticed that in first gear if it's bumpy and I'm pedaling the chain might jump off and get caught between the ring and the plastic protector. I understand that this is often a problem in 1 by setups where the chain can't quite flex and there's no derailleur to help keep it in place. Not a unique thing the the HF. The other way to help would be to get a WolfTooth wide/narrow chainring. But I think I'll wait to see how the ChainSpy2 works and hopefully wear out the current chainring before I go to a narrow/wide setup.

I just ordered a Brooks saddle as well. Can't wait to try that one out!

I'm still looking for a neoprene battery case, but am getting to the point where I think I'll have to make my own. I also plan on getting the Origin8 slick fat tires for the non-snow months.

View attachment 19321View attachment 19322View attachment 19323

Hi, I’m looking to get a HyperFat 1000, I hope that they will get stock soon like Juiced Bikes said, late May! They said that the bikes are made and that they are just waiting for batteries.
What model IBERA rack did put on the bike ? Also are you having any issues with your bike such as the bikes power dying after a few minutes and also the bike studdering at low speeds ?
Thanks

Have you had the opportunity to try out the 34T much yet?
It works great! It makes it much more versatile in the hills and trails. I was able to climb just about everything. Most of the time when I'm on the trails I leave it in ECO and then when the climbing starts will move up the levels based on the hill length and steepness.

Back