HyperFat Accessories, Add-ons, Changes and Feedback

For those of you who might like to make your winter ride more comfortable I just received an email regarding the Bouclier Visor going on sale. For those of you who prefer comfort over appearing to be a manly man you might want to look into it. By the way, by blocking the wind and so keeping your face warmer it causes less mucus to be generated as well, which for us old guys is a big plus. It works well for me except for when my speed gets to the mid-20's when the visor is pushed backwards by the wind. But that is a minor problem as the only time this happens is when I'm going down steepish hills. https://boucliervisors.com/?utm_sou...431050421&mc_cid=8c30d3d857&mc_eid=0d57baf069

Last edited:
I just received my HF with the 12T motor 5 days ago. If anyone's interested, I posted an entry on "Powerful Fat Tire E-bike w/ Torque sensor from Juiced Bikes" explaining my experience with the 17.4 Ah battery. As far as accessories go, I used my old mountain bike Topeak rack (Topeak Super Tourist Tubular Bicycle Trunk Rack DX with Side Bar for Disc Brake Bikes--not ideal, but useable) and bag (Topeak MTX Trunk Bag EXP Bicycle Trunk Bag with Rigid Molded Panels), $89 RadRover Full Fenders, Oi bike bell, Delta Cycle Delta Airzound Bike Horn--an air horn for the really oblivious (or to give a lot of advanced warning), Mirrycle MTB Bar End Mountain Bicycle Mirror, Moosetreks Bike Handlebar Stem Bag Water Bottle Holder (works very well, Update: coming apart at the seams after less than 3 months), Delta Stem Riser (used at half height), 50mm 7 degree rise stem, Jones Loop handlebar, triangle bag to fit in loop on handlebar which holds the air bottle for air horn and extra battery for my iPhone 7 plus for long trips Anker 2nd Gen Astro E3 Ultra Compact 10000mAh Portable Charger External Battery Power Bank with PowerIQ Technology for iPhone 6 Plus 5S 5C 5 4S old Serta seat (a bit more comfortable), Body Float Suspension Seat Post, IMABAO Universal Bike Mount for my iPhone 7 plus (holds very well on the street, but haven't tried it on bumpy trails yet, and it's cheap--I would only advise using with a 7 on up if riding in the rain), Cygolite HotRod rear rechargeable light, Venzo Fork Shock Pump with Digital Gauge, Topeak Joe Blow Fat Floor Pump, Portland Design Works Shiny Object CO2 Inflator, Crank Brothers F-15 Tool, SABRE 3-IN-1 Pepper Spray (for animals of all kinds), Foldylock Fl001GR - Folding Bicycle Link Lock, Camelbak Products Podium Chill Water Bottles 21 & 25-Ounce, Grin Tech Cycle Satiator 48V 8A. Well Eglon, this list isn't complete, but I'm sure it's more than you wanted. Once I started I just couldn't stop myself! Oh, and if you'd prefer this in list format just let me know.

Last edited:

Attachments

• IMG_4523.jpg
    IMG_4523.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 683
  • IMG_4518.jpg
    IMG_4518.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 647
Last edited:
I replaced the chain yesterday. The original had stretched too much and was slipping when I mashed down on it. I'm contemplating changing the front chainring to a smaller tooth size. I went mountain biking and just couldn't pedal up the steeper hills with the 52T ring on the front. Has anyone thought about putting a smaller chainring on or even adding a derailleur with two chainrings? I'm pretty sure I couldn't get away with three due to clearances.

I just received my HF with the 12T motor 5 days ago. If anyone's interested, I posted an entry on "Powerful Fat Tire E-bike w/ Torque sensor from Juiced Bikes" explaining my experience with the 17.4 Ah battery. As far as accessories go, I used my old mountain bike Topeak rack (Topeak Super Tourist Tubular Bicycle Trunk Rack DX with Side Bar for Disc Brake Bikes--not ideal, but useable) and bag (Topeak MTX Trunk Bag EXP Bicycle Trunk Bag with Rigid Molded Panels), $89 RadRover Full Fenders, Oi bike bell, Delta Cycle Delta Airzound Bike Horn--an air horn for the really oblivious (or to give a lot of advanced warning), Mirrycle MTB Bar End Mountain Bicycle Mirror, Moosetreks Bike Handlebar Stem Bag Water Bottle Holder (works very well), Delta Stem Riser (used at half height), 50mm 7 degree rise stem, Jones Loop handlebar, triangle bag to fit in loop on handlebar which holds the air bottle for air horn and extra battery for my iPhone 7 plus for long trips (Anker 2nd Gen Astro E3 Ultra Compact 10000mAh Portable Charger External Battery Power Bank with PowerIQ Technology for iPhone 6 Plus 5S 5C 5 4S, old Serta seat (a bit more comfortable), Body Float Suspension Seat Post, IMABAO Universal Bike Mount for my iPhone 7 plus (holds very well on the street, but haven't tried it on bumpy trails yet, and it's cheap--I would only advise using with a 7 on up if riding in the rain), Cygolite HotRod rear rechargeable light, Venzo Fork Shock Pump with Digital Gauge, Topeak Joe Blow Fat Floor Pump, Portland Design Works Shiny Object CO2 Inflator, Crank Brothers F-15 Tool, SABRE 3-IN-1 Pepper Spray (for animals of all kinds), Foldylock Fl001GR - Folding Bicycle Link Lock, Camelbak Products Podium Chill Water Bottles 21 & 25-Ounce, Grin Tech Cycle Satiator 48V 8A. Well Eglon, this list isn't complete, but I'm sure it's more than you wanted. Once I started I just couldn't stop myself! Oh, and if you'd prefer this in list format just let me know.
I thinks it great! I love to see how others are tricking out their bikes. I've been very pleased with the foundation of the bike.

I replaced the chain yesterday. The original had stretched too much and was slipping when I mashed down on it. I'm contemplating changing the front chainring to a smaller tooth size. I went mountain biking and just couldn't pedal up the steeper hills with the 52T ring on the front. Has anyone thought about putting a smaller chainring on or even adding a derailleur with two chainrings? I'm pretty sure I couldn't get away with three due to clearances.

52T is gigantic. I'm running a 42T Lekkie on my Evelo Delta with a NuVinci N380 in the rear and it will climb 45 degree inclines no problem. I'd definitely run a smaller front chainring if you're wanting to do real mtb stuff, just know that you'll likely spin out at higher speeds. Not sure if there's really any room for a front derailleur on the left handlebar tbh, but it's a good idea if you can find room!

Has anyone used a chain keeper on this bike yet? If so, what brand?

Actually, Eglon, I was thinking of the kind similar to that shown in the images below that might work with our non-quick release wheels, or does it even matter if it has a quick release on it or not? I already took my rear wheel off once and made a mess of my chain--put like 4 loops in it and couldn't figure out how to straighten it out.

510HTQX53CL._AC_US218_.jpg 41NgTmiF9EL._AC_US218_.jpg

Last edited:
Has anyone used a chain keeper on this bike yet? If so, what brand?
I installed a Chainspy2 last night but haven't had a chance to test it out yet. I'll post as soon as I do. The biggest issue that I was having was dropping the front chainring when I was in gear 1 and it got bouncy. I hope the chain keeper will fix that.

Last edited:
Seems awfully soon to be replacing a chain. How many miles did you have on it? Anyway, I've also thought of trying a smaller chainring. I have no need to go upwards of 38mph (12T), not strong enough anyway. So, if I replaced the 52 with a 42 or so I imagine steep hills and unpowered on the flat would be easier, and slower? As it is I rarely use 2, 3, & S and gears 8 and 9. Does it sound like I'd be a good candidate for the change? And would there be any other changes or effects besides the chain length that I should be aware of?

Seems awfully soon to be replacing a chain. How many miles did you have on it? Anyway, I've also thought of trying a smaller chainring. I have no need to go upwards of 38mph (12T), not strong enough anyway. So, if I replaced the 52 with a 42 or so I imagine steep hills and unpowered on the flat would be easier, and slower? As it is I rarely use 2, 3, & S and gears 8 and 9. Does it sound like I'd be a good candidate for the change? And would there be any other changes or effects besides the chain length that I should be aware of?
I damaged it on a ride and one of the links was coming out. I think I hit it on something. If it wouldn't have been for that I'd agree that it's way too early. I should have taken care of it earlier and it probably would have been fine, but just kept riding on it.

Those of you who are thinking of purchasing and using the $89 Rad Rover Full Fenders on their HyperFat bikes in cold weather may want to give some real thought on how you attach them to your bike. After less than two weeks and a couple bike laydowns I have the damage you can see in the image below. I would probably build in more flexibility into the attachment points that are not connected with the wires. For now it looks like I'll just have to make do with a few extra heavy duty zip ties. If anyone has a better solution let me know.
IMG_4578.jpg

Last edited:
Are you trail riding? If so I'm assuming full fenders isn't what you want. There are those half fenders that attach to the seat post.

Just my .02

Have fun riding.

Are you trail riding? If so I'm assuming full fenders isn't what you want. There are those half fenders that attach to the seat post.

Just my .02

Have fun riding.
Not a lot, but apparently too much for the full fenders. I just didn't like the lack of coverage of the half fenders for the street, which is what I spend most of my time on.

Those of you who are thinking of purchasing and using the $89 Rad Rover Full Fenders on their HyperFat bikes in cold weather may want to give some real thought on how you attach them to your bike. After less than two weeks and a couple bike laydowns I have the damage you can see in the image below. I would probably build in more flexibility into the attachment points that are not connected with the wires. For now it looks like I'll just have to make do with a few extra heavy duty zip ties. If anyone has a better solution let me know.View attachment 19478
I noticed this on the front fender of my Radpower fenders as well. I plan on seeing what some fender washers and extra support might do.

I really am thinking about putting a double crankset on. I went up in the mountains and the 52T chainring is just way too big for long steep hills. I don't want to mess with a front derailleur and was wondering if I could just manually move the chain to either of the rings. For example I'd put it on the 22T ring for riding in the trials and then the 42T for commuting. Has anybody thought of this or have any experience with it. Here's an example of one option that I found searching:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075SSQXKG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A1VSSX23UPDWUF&psc=1

Back