HyperFat Accessories, Add-ons, Changes and Feedback

What's the safest / best way to tap into my Hyperfat battery power for use with a 12v-PS/5v dashcam/action cam? I'm going to be installing one of these even though it's meant for a motorcycle. (Hyperfat might as well be a motorcycle the way it rides) :)
It should start recording as soon as bike battery power is turned on is the plan. "Accessory Power" in car/bike speak.
http://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38858
I have a few special mounts to make it attach in a set-it and forget it away.
Thoughts/Suggestions?

Those of you who are thinking of purchasing and using the $89 Rad Rover Full Fenders on their HyperFat bikes in cold weather may want to give some real thought on how you attach them to your bike. After less than two weeks and a couple bike laydowns I have the damage you can see in the image below. I would probably build in more flexibility into the attachment points that are not connected with the wires. For now it looks like I'll just have to make do with a few extra heavy duty zip ties. If anyone has a better solution let me know.View attachment 19478
I contacted RadPower bikes and they sent a new one out right away-very good customer service.

Since I altered the part I didn't really feel I had the right to ask for a free replacement. But thanks anyway.
I do plan on drilling out the rivets and putting nylon washers as a reinforcement and stainless bolts.

I replaced the chain yesterday. The original had stretched too much and was slipping when I mashed down on it. I'm contemplating changing the front chainring to a smaller tooth size. I went mountain biking and just couldn't pedal up the steeper hills with the 52T ring on the front. Has anyone thought about putting a smaller chainring on or even adding a derailleur with two chainrings? I'm pretty sure I couldn't get away with three due to clearances.
Have you considered the Patterson Transmission? https://www.pattersonbike.com
I don't know if it will fit, but if it could it sounds ideal, other than price, weight, and maintenance.

Last edited:
Have you considered the Patterson Transmission? https://www.pattersonbike.com
I don't know if it will fit, but if it could it sounds ideal, other than price, weight, and maintenance.
That looks really cool. I think a local bike shop here has some experience with them. I'm going to stop in and talk to them about it. I'll let you all know what I find out.

Eglon, I just had a 42 teeth chainring put in place of my 52 (if I had the cash I'd probably get the Patterson Transmission with the 52 and the ?) and ran my first ride test. Much more pleasant to ride with and without power. 14.39 miles out and back ride, 653 ft total ascent, only needed to use power on 1.3 miles of the trip, total Wh used 40. Naturally this would not be for the impatient, but you don't need to be in great shape either. If you recall with the 52 I needed to use power on 2.3 miles of a slightly shorter trip, total Wh used 57. And I didn't more than moderately exert myself. When power was used it was in ECO and 1-3 gears and the steepest hills were rather easy, if slow. Average speed 8.8 mph, so you know I wasn't in a hurry. Soon I'll test the battery at the highest speed I can maintain and not catch the attention of the police. With the 42 I expect my top speed will be around 25.
42-teeth chainring.jpg

Last edited:
Eglon, I just had a 42 teeth chainring put in place of my 52 (if I had the cash I'd probably get the Patterson Transmission with the 52 and the ?) and ran my first ride test. Much more pleasant to ride with and without power. 14.39 miles out and back ride, 653 ft total ascent, only needed to use power on 1.3 miles of the trip, total Wh used 40. Naturally this would not be for the impatient, but you don't need to be in great shape either. If you recall with the 52 I needed to use power on 2.3 miles of a slightly shorter trip, total Wh used 57. And I didn't more than moderately exert myself. When power was used it was in ECO and 1-3 gears and the steepest hills were rather easy, if slow. Average speed 8.8 mph, so you know I wasn't in a hurry. Soon I'll test the battery at the highest speed I can maintain and not catch the attention of the police. With the 42 I expect my top speed will be around 25.
Did you replace the whole crankset with a 42T? Where did you get the crankset?

Did you replace the whole crankset with a 42T? Where did you get the crankset?
If I understand the term, yes. It included the crank arm, chainring, and guard (alum.). I just had the mechanic at my LBS order one locally for $64 and install for $25. After he installed it I realized that the occasional noise I had been hearing was due to the chain striking the guard a couple times per revolution when in 1st gear. The only reason I realized it was once the change was made the tone of the sound changed. The mechanic tried to bend it out of the way. While it worked for a short while, the aluminum guard seems to have partially moved back. The sound is quieter, but I would like a better solution. Anybody else have this problem?

It's been raining all day today so I haven't gone on my higher speed ride yet. It looks like the weather may be less liquid tomorrow.

This entry is for those who are interested in additional information on the effect of temperature on the 17.4 Ah batteries. My previous entry on this subject noted that I only got 690 Wh from my 835 Wh battery. Now that the temperature has increased by 12 degrees (up to 47) I am getting about 789 Wh. Once spring comes will I get about 835, but no more? And would it be bad for the battery to test that theory? There are a lot of other details but I'll spare you.

Last edited:
Eglon, just wanted to let you know that I was way off on my estimation of max speed with the 42 tooth. I think I kinda understand why. When I tried to check my max speed with the 52 I may have backed off prematurely due to stress noticed in one of my knees. Anyway, with the 42 I was able to exceed 33 mph on the flat with no perception of stress from my knees. The 42 might be a good solution for those of us who are unable to stress our joints like we used to. While I didn't often notice a stress in my knees with the 52, now that I have the 42, I have not even come close to stressing my knees, even at 33 mph.

By the way, my average speed for the 14 miles was 20.7 mph through suburbia and some stop and go small town.

Last edited:
Anyway, with the 42 I was able to exceed 33 mph on the flat with no perception of stress from my knees.

How fast were you spinning the pedals? My guess is that you were spinning pretty fast at 33mph. I would spin out my 50x11 gear on my road bike descending at 33-34mph. I find that I don’t like to spin the pedals faster than about 90rpm on flat pedals (a little higher on clipless pedals) for extended periods of time. Higher cadence is better for the knees than low cadence/high torque riding.

How would I know my cadence? All I can tell you is that I couldn't spin any faster. At 28 mph I could comfortably go for a fair distance.

It’s just the number of crank revolutions per minute. You can install a cadence sensing bike computer or just count it out for 30 seconds and double the number.

It’s just the number of crank revolutions per minute. You can install a cadence sensing bike computer or just count it out for 30 seconds and double the number.
I'm not really interested in buying a bike computer right now and I'm not going to be satisfied with counting. I'll just take a movie of my legs going up and down at 28 and calculate 33. I should be able to do it this weekend once I get my new tires mounted.

Just got my Jones H bar riser put on with the ESI extra chunky XXL grips. Here's a couple of photos along with the chainspy2 and Brooks saddle. The RadRover full fenders worked really well in the last rain storm that we had. Stayed very dry. Now I'm just trying to decide whether a suspension seat post is needed. The tires take a lot of the bumps, but I do love a buttery smooth ride ;)
IMG_8425.JPG
IMG_8426.JPG
IMG_8427.JPG

Awesome I love my hbar! I think it's interesting that you but the LCD up front... Let us know how that works out over time.

Awesome I love my hbar! I think it's interesting that you but the LCD up front... Let us know how that works out over time.
I worked on putting it a couple of different places and up front seemed to make the most sense. Once the bikes on I haven't tended to switch the modes very often. I'm also working on finding the right angle for the bar.

How fast were you spinning the pedals? My guess is that you were spinning pretty fast at 33mph. I would spin out my 50x11 gear on my road bike descending at 33-34mph. I find that I don’t like to spin the pedals faster than about 90rpm on flat pedals (a little higher on clipless pedals) for extended periods of time. Higher cadence is better for the knees than low cadence/high torque riding.
About 90 at 28 mph and just under 100 at 33 mph. I would say I was probably spinning out at that point, which is probably best for my knees. At 28 on the flat I could probably go for maybe a mile or so before I would need a short rest. This was done on a very slight incline. I was able to momentarily top out at 33.2 mph. I really do like how well this 42-tooth crankset works.

Back