Hydra - Pulled the Trigger

mskrone

Region
USA
I pulled the trigger today on a Hydra after much research and discussion with Pushkar and all of you. Many thanks. Below are the specs. Oh, last question. Since I've paid for the bike, at what point in waiting is fashionable before whining about the wait, delivery, build pics, where is it Pushkar, come on.. etc. I was thinking three days just to be nice. :cool:

Hydra × 1
Frame Size: S (5'2"-5'6")
Color: Single Color (not black)
Specify your colors (Base, Accent etc): H-112 Cobalt (please note, there are two Cobalt color options H-12 is what I want)
Motor: X1 2300W
Battery: Frame Integrated Only
Firmware: Harness w/2-year SW Upgrades
Throttle - PLEASE READ.: Derestricted throttle
Gearing: 11-speed cassette (11-42T)
Wheelset: 26x4.8
Rims: Aluminum
Front Suspension: Manitou Mastodon
Rear Suspension: Suntour Tri Air 3CR
Dropper: Manitou Jack
Saddle: Ergon SMC
Brakes: Dominion A4
Rotors: MDRP Front and Rear 203mm
Grips: Ergon GP5
Pedals: Crankbros Stamp 1
Handlebar: Surlu Moloko
Cranks: Watt Wagons Aluminum
Headlight: Magicshine E2000 (Wired)
Tail : Magic Shine (Battery Operated)
Chargers: 5A
Warranty: 1 year (Included)

I pulled the trigger today on a Hydra after much research and discussion with Pushkar and all of you. Many thanks. Below are the specs. Oh, last question. Since I've paid for the bike, at what point in waiting is fashionable before whining about the wait, delivery, build pics, where is it Pushkar, come on.. etc. I was thinking three days just to be nice. :cool:

Hydra × 1
Specify your colors (Base, Accent etc): H-112 Cobalt (please note, there are two Cobalt color options H-12 is what I want)
👍 👍👍

You won’t regret it, The more I research other brands there really isn’t anything that comes close to the Hydra. Getting the X1 controller puts it in a class by itself

Hydra × 1
Congrats! Now the hard part - the wait:)

Welcome to the club.. Happy for you! Even happier to hear that despite the tribulations WW and Pushkar continue to attract discriminating buyers.. whine away...misery loves company😉

You won’t regret it, The more I research other brands there really isn’t anything that comes close to the Hydra. Getting the X1 controller puts it in a class by itself
Totally agree. A year ago I used to think the WW loyalists were weirdos. As I read I learned why - and appreciated Pushkar's passion in his videos, amazing support and response times, and highly satisfied customers. I often wondered why WW is so underappreciated considering they have the world's most efficient, smoothest, and fastest ebike motor off the assembly line? Maybe because there aren't any reviews on YouTube of the Hydra outside of the WW channel? Can any of you lucky owners please take some time to share your Hydra?

As if I wasn't sold enough...this morning I read about how the Kindernay is able to do what Rohloff cannot. It's like I am shopping for a laptop and find out Apple just figured out how to add a monitor that unfolds into a 32" screen to the Macbook Pro. Too bad I can't go buy some WW stock shares - LOL! Some day.

As if I wasn't sold enough...this morning I read about how the Kindernay is able to do what Rohloff cannot.
What are you referring to here @dunksalot? Just curious, as my perception is that they two are fairly similar with the exceptions of the shift methodology, cage and gear ratio.

WW brand makes this Bosch equipped ebikes and other low powered 🐌🐚🐌stand for what they really r =kids toys .

Hydra is on my watch list !!

WW brand makes this Bosch equipped ebikes and other low powered 🐌🐚🐌stand for what they really r =kids toys .

Hydra is on my watch list !!
As much as I want to agree the answer is really "Yes and No" to that. The link below is a UK guy (recently) testing his self-built equivalent to a Luna X1 Enduro and it fails uphill compared to a Bosch-powered ebike. The problem is in the stock Bafang controller - but the WW Archon X1 controller replacement easily solves that. Plus, the power of the Ultra nearly doubles the Nm and you get the thumb throttle for "moped mode" which is a must for me.

As much as I want to agree the answer is really "Yes and No" to that. The link below is a UK guy (recently) testing his self-built equivalent to a Luna X1 Enduro and it fails uphill compared to a Bosch-powered ebike.
Do note that the Bafang in that video is the M500 and not the Ultra.

I know the Bafang Ultra has a lot power, but I wonder how it compares during everyday riding (smoothness, etc) compared to the Bosch Gen 4 motor.
I guess I'll find out shortly, since my new Helios should be arriving in the next month or so (fingers crossed) and I can compare it directly to my Cannondale topstone Neo Lefty 3, which has the Bosch gen 4 motor.

I know the Bafang Ultra has a lot power, but I wonder how it compares during everyday riding (smoothness, etc) compared to the Bosch Gen 4 motor.
I guess I'll find out shortly, since my new Helios should be arriving in the next month or so (fingers crossed) and I can compare it directly to my Cannondale topstone Neo Lefty 3, which has the Bosch gen 4 motor.
Very much looking forward to your review and comparison. 👍 :)

This is just my opinion but from the different bikes I have tried mostly riding fire roads. The Bosch has a better pedal assist. Comes on faster and smoother. The power is adequate but you can only use the higher power (85NM) for a limited time and then efficiency and power decrease due to heat buildup. Used at lower power 60nm the Bosch and X1 are similar efficiency but if you want to go fast @750-1000w the X1 and the ultra will pull away every time as heat builds up. Kick it into 1500w+ and the sheer brute power very noticeable.

I'll take your word for it but really I can't fathom how power delivery could be better than my X1. Maybe I will never know as riding a European style bike is a low odds probability for me. 👍

To be honest I have had issues with my X1 and I’m currently trying to troubleshoot it so I am back to riding my original Bafang controller. I hope to have the issues sorted soon. it takes a 1/4 turn on the cranks for my X1 to kick in. The Bosch seems almost seamless. How is yours?

One of the big things that had me desire to get a WW Hydra is Pushkar's description of how the X1 smoothly controls pedal assist. I look forward to your issues being ironed out Acme.

I bought a Sondors XMS hardtail mountain bike because it's what I could get for now and it is very clunky coming into pedal assist. Before that I tried a Scott EMTB at a shop and it came on so seamlessly (they only had a size too small). What a pleasure to ride.

To be honest I have had issues with my X1 and I’m currently trying to troubleshoot it so I am back to riding my original Bafang controller. I hope to have the issues sorted soon. it takes a 1/4 turn on the cranks for my X1 to kick in. The Bosch seems almost seamless. How is yours?
Yeah, quarter turn but ..... not sure I'd want it any more responsive. It's the torque response that makes me smile. Instant and no 'jerkiness' or hiccups when I'm ramping up speed. As well as the cutout when I stop peddling. No bad shifts if I take just the minimal care.

Back