Hydra ! My Turn

Unfortunately ya gotta add fluid down at the caliper and push everything up to the lever to bleed the air out with a syringe. First make sure your pads aren't stuck partially extended or you won't get al the fluid in there you need. Then make sure all openings are tight and your good. Takes 15 minutes to bleed both my front and rear.

Unfortunately ya gotta add fluid down at the caliper and push everything up to the lever to bleed the air out with a syringe. First make sure your pads aren't stuck partially extended or you won't get al the fluid in there you need. Then make sure all openings are tight and your good. Takes 15 minutes to bleed both my front and rear.
Yeah, Thanks. I've watched the videos. Doesn't look like rocket science. I'm a tad ticked off I have to do this on a new bike. :confused:

Good little kit. https://www.amazon.com/Bicycle-Hydraulic-Mineral-Shimano-MAGURA/dp/B089MDY3T5/

You don't need to bleed em, just use the syringe to pump fluid in and suck air out, works a treat, positive brake pressure in a few minutes. That kit has the right bits for many brakes including magura.

All i do is screw the syringe pipe with the magura thread attached into the lever bleed screw, fill the syringe, screw syringe on, gently push fluid in, then gently pull plunger and air will purge, squeeze brake lever a few times, some air might come out, pump a bit more fluid in, suck air out, bobs your uncle. When you remove the syringe, remove it with pipe attached or the tube will empty when you take it off, and be careful with those magura bleed screws they are plastic and shred very very easy.

I think he 's talking about the caliper pistons that push the pads outward.
Just my experience here if you don't fully compress the pistons, bleed the air at the levers and fill from below you'll end up doing it again. There's a reason bike mechanics do it this way.
Magura might be different but filling from the bottom only pushes air to the top so you can't suck it out with the syringe at the same opening. Another thing when you put fluid in you gotta crack the caliper bleed screw and have the plug out at the brake levers or pressure won't let you inject, whatever your tryin to put in has to have a place for the air/oil to go its a closed system yeah?

Last edited:
Noo, an olive is a type of compression fitting that connects the brake hose to the lever, as you tighten the cable gland on the lever it crushes the olive to create a seal.

BOB59.jpg

The only ferrule on a bike is the little bits that connect from cable to bare wire, i also put them on gear sensors but thats by the by. There you go shared a bit of bike nomenclature.

It's likely the olive isnt expanded fully, maguras don't leak, give it a tighten should sort it.
Well that's encouraging. I'll try it. Is there not a real possibility though that there is air in the lines now if the 'olive' is not fully compressed?

Well that's encouraging. I'll try it. Is there not a real possibility though that there is air in the lines now if the 'olive' is not fully compressed?
Have a feel on the hose of the soft lever for any signs of fluid, if thats the cause you would more than likely detect a bit and if it is that it would probably let air in. Magura have a 5 year leak free guarantee which is what makes me almost sure it's that as its the only bit that is 'assembled', the hose is already fitted to the calipers.

Sorry for garbled reply it's 4am o_O

Back