Hydra ! My Turn

I don't ride that kind of trails but I follow it for the tech that always shows up first in the extreme off road bikes.

Reed, do you mind giving me a measurement of exposed seat post on your Hydra - from frame hole top to bottom of seat rails?

Looking forward to you finishing your move Reed. I want to find out what your Hydra is like for ride quality and performance on the harder stretches of the ranch.

@reed scott , as I'm hum/hawing about my build. Why did you decide to go with tubeless vs tannus and a small tube?
My initial thinking was to go tubeless, but based on feedback in this forum I'm considering Tannus with a small tube.

@reed scott , as I'm hum/hawing about my build. Why did you decide to go with tubeless vs tannus and a small tube?
My initial thinking was to go tubeless, but based on feedback in this forum I'm considering Tannus with a small tube.
No, I'm strictly tube with slime. Don't believe in tubeless for the type of terrain I ride. 👍

We have mesquite thorns here and they are long enough to go through the tannus but slime plugs the hole.

No, I'm strictly tube with slime. Don't believe in tubeless for the type of terrain I ride. 👍

We have mesquite thorns here and they are long enough to go through the tannus but slime plugs the hole.
Ahhh... got it. Similar issue here where I ride (when off trail), not mesquite thorns but low lying cacti with gnarly thorns.
My tubeless setup handles them well, I often see where the sealant has performed its duty.
I'm wondering if I can get the best of both worlds with tubeless Tannus. https://tannusamerica.com/pages/tannus-armour-tubeless

Congrats on your new ride. Whats she tip the scales at? Saw this thread kinda late so this is after the fact but.. When battery's are new it's usually best to charge them up to 100% for the first couple of times as opposed to going straight to 80% or so. Probably water under the bridge now, or water over the road in your case.
Nobody asked but I have had good luck with going tubeless out here in San Diego. Do a lot of rocks up in the mountains and sand with cactus out above the deserts. Just got back from a trip out by Moab and zero issues also, lots of red dirt and sandstone with rocks as well. Running Maxxis tires on WTB rims and gotta add a little air if bike sits for a couple of days but it makes me check them more often. My rear max is 25psi and I run it at 17, my front 29'r is 35psi max and I run it at 21. I think that works out to about 70% of max.
You'll like the dropper the more you use it I know it's saved me a couple of times from bailing off the front and the 29" tire in front helps too. Started off trying the 29" to see the difference and now I swear by it. Before I wouldn't of believed me in it making that big of difference but proof is in the usage I can tell the difference.

Oh and by the way nice rock guard on that chainring.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip on charging. I've been in the throws of moving so I've only charged it twice. Maybe not too late? I don't have a scale but it's gotta be around 65 lbs. Definitely lighter than the Frey and is a lot more nimble. Well, nimble for this sort of bike. Yeah I do like my rock guard. A nice guy on the inter webs gave to me. 👍 👍 👍

Pretty bike. I expanded the photo of your Hydra, I wanted to see what is holding it up and trying to spot a mounting point for a kickstand I see none.
When I get mine, I will install a kickstand. If a kickstand is something you're adding to your bike later on. Can you post and let us know how you're gonna go about doing it. ( Pics of your Hydra show a stick holding it up)
I use a ‘clickstand’. Just use this site's search. I put up thread not long ago.

Last edited:
Reed I think you bought the last of the Convertair in black. I had to get a set in shinny aluminum. The least you could do is tell us how the Hydra rides and climbs on your problem areas and trails. :)

And, if you don't mind, how is your display to read in direct sunlight?

Reed I think you bought the last of the Convertair in black. I had to get a set in shinny aluminum. The least you could do is tell us how the Hydra rides and climbs on your problem areas and trails. :)

And, if you don't mind, how is your display to read in direct sunlight?
I'm confused. What is 'Convertair'? You must know I have advanced CRS so things are fuzzy a lot. ( that's Can't Remember s*it for the young ones )

I'm not riding much. Too hot and humid. The bike is great. I have not tested it much but it goes up steep with aplomb and descends same sure and steady. I have a soft rear brake lever so I guess I have to order up a Magura bleed kit and go thru all that caca. Head set was loosey goosey and though I've tried to get it right ... still not 100 %. The display seems ok. I don't look at it much.

Somebody please tell me why I can't treat bike hydraulic brakes just like automobile hydraulic brakes? Obviously there is inadequate fluid in my rear brake system. Why can't I just stand the bike up on its rear wheel, open the top fill screw and add some ding dang fluid? :mad:

Ahh, sounds like me for having to learn everything new.

I tried to get those Presta to Shrader converter stems in black. No joy. Well okay, good luck on your weather taming down.

Got The 'Old' Bike Out Today

Wanted to replace the GP5 grips I had stolen off the Frey AM 1000 for the Hydra. ( sure love the way Ergon grips attach ) I had not ridden the old girl in like three weeks. She's been mouldering away in the storage trailer. Hopped on her and me and Rio took off down the road. Boy, I still love this bike. She's my 'Ford Raptor Pickup' bike. Set up to trailer and has a strong rack and fenders. Having two sorts of powerful ebikes makes me happy happy happy.

Of course there is little comparison to the Hydra which is my 'Porsche Cayenne' sort of bike. Except for the fact they both have the excellent Archon X1 motor. :p

Got The 'Old' Bike Out Today

Wanted to replace the GP5 grips I had stolen off the Frey AM 1000 for the Hydra. ( sure love the way Ergon grips attach ) I had not ridden the old girl in like three weeks. She's been mouldering away in the storage trailer. Hopped on her and me and Rio took off down the road. Boy, I still love this bike. She's my 'Ford Raptor Pickup' bike. Set up to trailer and has a strong rack and fenders. Having two sorts of powerful ebikes makes me happy happy happy.

Of course there is little comparison to the Hydra which is my 'Porsche Cayenne' sort of bike. Except for the fact they both have the excellent Archon X1 motor. :p
Rio running alongside of you, or in the hitched trailer? Those are the pictures that I want to see. Trying to convince the wife that I can do that with our pups!

Rio running alongside of you, or in the hitched trailer? Those are the pictures that I want to see. Trying to convince the wife that I can do that with our pups!
Rio does not like the trailer which is strange given he is nuts to ride almost anything. Dog is a riding fool. Perches with his front feet on the console and watches ever foot of road and inspects every passing or following vehicle. Can't keep him off the tractor. I still have not trained him to ride the trailer but we will get there. 👍

Get a covered ( screened ) trailer. I should have and may still have to build a cover for my 'bob' type trailer.

Back