Hydra ! My Turn

Guys ! I just found this on my porch right where I unboxed and assembled my Hydra yesterday. It's solid metal and heavy.

Screen Shot 2021-06-05 at 7.26.37 PM.png

I'm a bit worried.

EDIT: I actually panicked a bit but realize now that's the finial off an old lamp I threw away. You know, the thing on top that holds the shade in place. 🤣

Last edited:
So how did Pushkar engage you when your build was up to determine parts and customizations? Email, phone, carrier pigeon?

Guys ! I just found this on my porch right where I unboxed and assembled my Hydra yesterday. It's solid metal and heavy.

View attachment 89621

I'm a bit worried.

EDIT: I actually panicked a bit but realize now that's the finial off an old lamp I threw away. You know, the thing on top that holds the shade in place. 🤣
I think that option is only for the latest Helios..
1622990598981.jpeg

What's your Hydra like to ride Reed? On your rough rocky roads? On some tougher parts of the ranch you planned using it on?
I haven't even gotten to setting the sag on the suspension yet but it is plush as is. It's significantly lighter than my Bolton Frey and it is carbon composite of course. I'm used to my Kinekt and don't have it on the Hydra and .... don't miss it. I feel that this frame soaks up a lot of bumpy road crap and the suspension is VERY good. The throttle is not as powerful as my Archon on the Frey. Pushkar made that one a full wattage model. Derestricted. I find this new throttle a bit weak in comparison but it doesn't matter. I don't use throttle much.

The gearing is great. The 44 chainring is very good. 46 might be even better. Not for top speed as I don't enjoy anything much over 20mph but with this setup I can cruise at 20 all day long I think. Of course on hills I am using a couple cogs I don't bother with on the Frey. I left the steerer tube uncut and boy is it a dream. Much more comfortable for me. No aching of the elbows and wrists. I need to get better grips when such a thing can be had. The seat is OK. It has composite rails and evidently, though the saddle itself is just rubber it is actually quite comfortable. Pushkar could not get the upgrade seats.

The derailleur is fine. Shifts quietly ( with attention to technique ) and I actually prefer the shifters to the Shimano on the Frey. It's just a very different bike than the Frey. It feels way more nimble and it feels taller although by measure it is not. I also FEEL much better not having fenders and a rack. Much racier. I will have to use a little backpack for tools and tire repair. It doesn't have Schrader valve tubes and that's a bummer. Makes it hard to slime them. It's a great great bike. 👍 👍 👍 👍 👍

Great info, thanks. I'll be minus a Kinekt seat post too. Only interested in performance and torque abilities up to 20 mph. Good to hear of its plush ride. And I believe I will follow your and Vinnie's lead and leave the steer tube uncut.

Great info, thanks. I'll be minus a Kinekt seat post too. Only interested in performance and torque abilities up to 20 mph. Good to hear of its plush ride. And I believe I will follow your and Vinnie's lead and leave the steer tube uncut.

Vinny cut his his steerer tube. I have to admit the long tube could be described as a bit ungainly to many but I love it. As to torque, I have not really timed it but I'm sure I can go zero to 25mph very quickly inside of 50 yards using just 7th thru 11.

This dropper seat is very good. Even though I don't need it much. Yet. As I become more adventurous I will use it on steep down hills. I hate that feeling coming down on crap terrain and feeling like you could go over the bars at any moment. I don't do real single track but even on my wide roads the hills can be pretty steep. All our hills are always partially washed out and that means lots of loose rocks and gravel. It makes coming down them quite concerning. Braking is critical and watching your line is a constant necessity so getting your butt down, thus lowering your center of mass provides a little more security.

I haven't even gotten to setting the sag on the suspension yet but it is plush as is. It's significantly lighter than my Bolton Frey and it is carbon composite of course. I'm used to my Kinekt and don't have it on the Hydra and .... don't miss it. I feel that this frame soaks up a lot of bumpy road crap and the suspension is VERY good. The throttle is not as powerful as my Archon on the Frey. Pushkar made that one a full wattage model. Derestricted. I find this new throttle a bit weak in comparison but it doesn't matter. I don't use throttle much.

The gearing is great. The 44 chainring is very good. 46 might be even better. Not for top speed as I don't enjoy anything much over 20mph but with this setup I can cruise at 20 all day long I think. Of course on hills I am using a couple cogs I don't bother with on the Frey. I left the steerer tube uncut and boy is it a dream. Much more comfortable for me. No aching of the elbows and wrists. I need to get better grips when such a thing can be had. The seat is OK. It has composite rails and evidently, though the saddle itself is just rubber it is actually quite comfortable. Pushkar could not get the upgrade seats.

The derailleur is fine. Shifts quietly ( with attention to technique ) and I actually prefer the shifters to the Shimano on the Frey. It's just a very different bike than the Frey. It feels way more nimble and it feels taller although by measure it is not. I also FEEL much better not having fenders and a rack. Much racier. I will have to use a little backpack for tools and tire repair. It doesn't have Schrader valve tubes and that's a bummer. Makes it hard to slime them. It's a great great bike. 👍 👍 👍 👍 👍

Re: “not having Schrader valve tubes” :

Here’s what I use because I also really really dislike presta valves:

RideAir ConvertAir (Pair) Presta to Schrader Converter (not Adapter) Aluminium Anodized Black Change Your Tube or tubeless Valve to Schrader Easily - for Presta Removable Core​

B8AC5F27-FE00-4FAE-A873-A99452C0895E.jpeg

RideAir ConvertAir (Pair) Presta to Schrader Converter (not Adapter) Aluminium Anodized Black Change Your Tube or tubeless Valve to Schrader Easily - for Presta Removable Core​

View attachment 89673
Was it you that posted these months ago? Regardless, I ordered them. 👍 👍 👍

Vinny cut his his steerer tube. I have to admit the long tube could be described as a bit ungainly to many but I love it. As to torque, I have not really timed it but I'm sure I can go zero to 25mph very quickly inside of 50 yards using just 7th thru 11.

This dropper seat is very good. Even though I don't need it much. Yet. As I become more adventurous I will use it on steep down hills. I hate that feeling coming down on crap terrain and feeling like you could go over the bars at any moment. I don't do real single track but even on my wide roads the hills can be pretty steep. All our hills are always partially washed out and that means lots of loose rocks and gravel. It makes coming down them quite concerning. Braking is critical and watching your line is a constant necessity so getting your butt down, thus lowering your center of mass provides a little more security.
Yes your riding sounds a lot like what I want to spend the most time with.

I noticed my earlier post could be construed to be telling you 'all I want to hear from you is x'. Sorry. That would be my bad writing etc, not being purposely rude.

Besides, I want to hear it all. :)

View attachment 89673
Thank you so much for posting this. I had forgotten I even had these things. I got them months ago when I could not find non presta type valve tubes. Now the Hydra comes with presta tubes. :rolleyes: I just converted them with these fantastic adapters and will shortly order more. They seem to work great. I just slimed both my tubes on the Hydra and these adapters worked a charm! 140 strokes each tire with my full sized hand pump.🥴 Thank you mucho. 👍👍👍

Yes your riding sounds a lot like what I want to spend the most time with.

I noticed my earlier post could be construed to be telling you 'all I want to hear from you is x'. Sorry. That would be my bad writing etc, not being purposely rude.

Besides, I want to hear it all. :)
No problem. I didn't take your post that way at all. I'm just giving you the straight skinny from my perspective. 👍

Was it you that posted these months ago? Regardless, I ordered them. 👍 👍 👍

Why yes it was.
One caveat....be careful when removing the valve cap to check air pressure or.....as it can unscrew the converter and a lot of air will be discharging.
Only happened to me once....lost about 15psi before I could quickly screw it back on.
Another plus is if/when the valve core gets gummed up with sealant you can remove the whole converter and valve core and blow air from the back side to really clean any residual sealant. That’s a pro tip :)

Why yes it was.
One caveat....be careful when removing the valve cap to check air pressure or.....as it can unscrew the converter and a lot of air will be discharging.
Only happened to me once....lost about 15psi before I could quickly screw it back on.
Another plus is if/when the valve core gets gummed up with sealant you can remove the whole converter and valve core and blow air from the back side to really clean any residual sealant. That’s a pro tip :)
Two pro tips if you ask me! 👍 👍 👍

And already been to Amazon and ordered another pair.

Back