How to make Vado feel more like a Como?

flashracer

Was wondering if I could make a medium Vado feel more like a medium Como. Have to have a more comfortable saddle. What stem would be recommended. I would like it to be more upright. Any feedback is appreciated.

Flashracer,

Of course you could simply try a different saddle. Many on the market.

After that, a couple other options for you:

- Different stem. I switched out the stems on my bikes, even the Vado. Been using a SATORI TURN UP on all of them. It has two locations for adjustments so I can bring the handlebars both back and upwards. It's available on Ebay but not sure about Amazon. Whatever stem you choose be sure to check the diameters to it's compatible with your bike.

- Different handlebars. Many on the market that have various shapes to fit your needs. My lbs didn't have a lot of variety but I found Modern Bike and they have a wide selection. They also sell the shims in case the diameters aren't quite the same. My challenge was to make sure the new handlebars had enough room for all the "stuff" that needs to be mounted on them.

The trick with both the above options is to make sure the cables have enough slack. I ended up have a longer hydraulic brake line switched out on the front brake.

One of the differences between the Como and Vado is the frame geometry. If you compare the two frames you'll see that the Como has what's referred to as "crank forward". The frame is designed to have the crank and pedals to be farther forward from the vertical line of the seat. The crank forward design helps the rider to be able to touch the ground at stops. Not much to be done to reshape the frame. Maybe slide the seat a little?

OK, lots of info. Hope it helps.

Was wondering if I could make a medium Vado feel more like a medium Como. Have to have a more comfortable saddle. What stem would be recommended. I would like it to be more upright. Any feedback is appreciated.
Go to this Video at around the 30 minute mark : The Upgrades are a Riser Stem on the steering Tube and a Seat Post suspension :
However the Vado is geared more as Fitness : I have been looking at Como's . In a Vado I need the Large Frame In the Como X-large

Go to this Video at around the 30 minute mark : The Upgrades are a Riser Stem on the steering Tube and a Seat Post suspension :
However the Vado is geared more as Fitness : I have been looking at Como's . In a Vado I need the Large Frame In the Como X-large
Thanks, my wife says she riding for fitness. I am riding for fun. So comfort is important to me. I am 5’8” and considering step thru or not Medium Vado or Large Como

I realize this is an old thread, but I'm wondering about the same thing on the vado vs como the saddle and handlebar grips setup on the como is very good for the short rides for older bodies at least. The Vado looks painfull in comparison...

A brief correction. The Como is not a crank forward, not even a little. I have a Rans Dynamik and I have owned an Electra Townie; I have a Como. The Como has a pretty conventional comfort bike geometry. I can just barely reach the ground tiptoe from the seat. On a crankforward bike I can easily flat foot when I ride and my knees are more forward. The crank forward bikes also have a longer wheelbase. Specialized marketing implies that the Como is sort of crank forward. Its not.

Also the difference in the handlebar height between the Como and the Vado is in the sweep and rise of the bars themselves. The overall geometry of the Como is designed to accommodate the more upright position. If you want a ride like the Como, get a Como. I do understand wanting to modify an existing bike, and I also understand that sometimes the Vado just comes in the right color. But I do think people are somewhat misled about the Como being a Cruiser. It’s not. One of the things I love about it is that it is fun to ride slow or fast. If I ride slow it has a nice relaxed balance but when I want to kick up the speed it works well and I am also comfortable.

A brief correction. The Como is not a crank forward, not even a little. I have a Rans Dynamik and I have owned an Electra Townie; I have a Como. The Como has a pretty conventional comfort bike geometry. I can just barely reach the ground tiptoe from the seat. On a crankforward bike I can easily flat foot when I ride and my knees are more forward. The crank forward bikes also have a longer wheelbase. Specialized marketing implies that the Como is sort of crank forward. Its not.

Also the difference in the handlebar height between the Como and the Vado is in the sweep and rise of the bars themselves. The overall geometry of the Como is designed to accommodate the more upright position. If you want a ride like the Como, get a Como. I do understand wanting to modify an existing bike, and I also understand that sometimes the Vado just comes in the right color. But I do think people are somewhat misled about the Como being a Cruiser. It’s not. One of the things I love about it is that it is fun to ride slow or fast. If I ride slow it has a nice relaxed balance but when I want to kick up the speed it works well and I am also comfortable.
Haven't ridden a Vado, but rode a couple townies, a couple trek verves, and one each Voltbike and Giant before deciding that the Specialized Como bikes were better for me. I call it a crusier b/c no suspension beyond balloon tires and upright position compared to my "English Racer" of decades ago. I am still not sure about the Como on hills but my wife is totally sold on her Como.

I have been riding my Como up a mountain pass near my house and also regularly riding a Long grade of 3-4% that goes for several miles. I get a workout but have yet to go into my lowest gear and have been riding turbo mode 60/60. The bike has plenty more to give but I havent needed it. i love climbing on the Como and climbing has never been my thing. You can call it a cruiser. It’s not a crank forward bike, and to me it’s not really a cruiser either.

Glatd to hear it climbs well for you, that seems to be the only real advantage to the Vado that matters to me. What level of Como do you ride? 3,4,5 ?

Glatd to hear it climbs well for you, that seems to be the only real advantage to the Vado that matters to me. What level of Como do you ride? 3,4,5 ?
We did a supported bike tour across the Idaho panhandle last June. One woman on the trip brought her Como 4. She had no problem on the hills, usually zipping by the rest of us on our mech bikes. A more 'relaxed' riding position than our Vados but similar performance.

We did a supported bike tour across the Idaho panhandle last June. One woman on the trip brought her Como 4. She had no problem on the hills, usually zipping by the rest of us on our mech bikes. A more 'relaxed' riding position than our Vados but similar performance.
Thanks Tim.

I read the thread with an interest. I chose the "speed" Vado because no Como is sold in the Class 3 version in Europe. Since the Vado (as a "child" of the MTB) requires forward riding position and I needed more comfort, I just raised the handlebars with a 80 mm steering-tube extender. There is one benefit of the Vado modded that way: In case of a headwind, it is fairly easy to lean on the handlebars for more aero position.

Hi Stefen. My hope with this thread is "How to make a Como climb like a Vado ... and keep the comfortable seat/ bars/ grips ... After all 20mph is 20 mph no matter how steep...right?

After all 20mph is 20 mph no matter how steep...right?
The 20 mph is the pedal-assistance limit, not the promised speed to be achieved ;) The geometry is not that important unless the uphill incline or downhill slope is dramatic. The steepest hill I have ever climbed was of 18% grade but it was the Giant e-MTB. The geometry there was of a kind I could stay in the saddle, the granny gear on, the max PAS on and I was pedalling like a madman. It was a short climb, however.

If the hill is not that steep, I can see no problem. The point is not to let the bike fall backwards, that is, the front wheel has to maintain the contact with the ground. If the rider is in doubt, it is enough to stand on the pedals and throw own weight on the handlebars. On opposite: If that's a very steep downslope, the rider has to stand on the pedals and move their backside above the rear wheel to avoid the "Over The Bars". The saddle is in the way; therefore dropper seat-posts were invented.

If someone lives in a very hilly area, an e-MTB is a logical choice. The rest of us can climb and ride downhill without special precautions.

Regarding the motors and drive-train: Of course the Specialized 1.2e motor is weaker than the 1.2 and the 1.2 is a little bit weaker than the 1.3. There is also the matter of the chainring. The 48T facilitates fast riding on the flat while the 40T is better for hills. In any case, downshifting, turning the Turbo on and understanding that climbing is a slow process would do for any of us as the Comos and Vados are perfect climbers. e-MTB is just the next level.

Last edited:
Hills beside trails
The 20 mph is the limit, not the promised speed to be achieved ;) The geometry is not that important unless the uphill incline or downhill slope is dramatic. The steepest hill I have ever climbed was of 18% grade but it was the Giant e-MTB. The geometry there was of a kind I could stay in the saddle, the granny gear on, the max PAS on and I was pedalling like a madman. It was a short climb, however.

If the hill is not that steep, I can see no problem. The point is not to let the bike fall backwards, that is, the front wheel has to maintain the contact with the ground. If the rider is in doubt, it is enough to stand on the pedals and throw own weight on the handlebars. On opposite: If that's a steep very downslope, the rider has to stand on the pedals and move their backside above the rear wheel to avoid the "Over The Bars". The saddle is in the way; therefore dropper seat-posts were invented.

If someone lives in a very hilly area, an e-MTB is a logical choice. The rest of us can climb and ride downhill without special precautions.

Regarding the motors and drive-train: Of course the Specialized 1.2e motor is weaker than the 1.2 and the 1.2 is a little bit weaker than the 1.3. There is also the matter of the chainring. The 48T facilitates fast riding on the flat while the 40T is better for hills. In any case, downshifting, turning the Turbo on and understanding that climbing is a slow process would do for any of us as the Comos and Vados are perfect climbers. e-MTB is just the next level.
Thank you Stefan. That should be sticky material for new guys like me.

Thanks. And that is a 28mph class 3, correct?
The Vado and Como are confusing, the 3.0 last year is now the 4.0 this year. The 2019 3.0 is a class 3, whereas the 2020 3.0 is a class 1 IIRC. Do the two classes 1 and 3, share the same wide narrow chains, sprockets, and rings? I wonder.

Last edited:
It is very easy for Specialized to change the Class of their e-bikes as they please because it is just a software setting for the speed limiter (at least for the U.S., where a Class 3 e-bike requires no special additional gear as mandated by law in Europe). The 48T chainring makes the Como predestined to be a Class 3 ebike, yet even the Class 1 Como 3.0 comes with the 48T chainring. On the contrary, the Class 3 Vado 4.0 should have the 48T chainring but it comes with the 40T one... It does not make a positive impression of Specialized who are evidently a marketing-driven organisation.

It's
It is very easy for Specialized to change the Class of their e-bikes as they please because it is just a software setting for the speed limiter (at least for the U.S., where a Class 3 e-bike requires no special additional gear as mandated by law in Europe). The 48T chainring makes the Como predestined to be a Class 3 ebike, yet even the Class 1 Como 3.0 comes with the 48T chainring. On the contrary, the Class 3 Vado 4.0 should have the 48T chainring but it comes with the 40T one... It does not make a positive impression of Specialized who are evidently a marketing-driven organisation.
Modern marketing
It's You. Only manipulated?

Back