How To Judge Quality

I'm a mechanically inclined DIY'er (maybe an understatement), riding an ebike that would likely make many inexpensive lists (Rad). Been riding it about 18 months now, with NO wear caused failures of any sort, and at 600 miles anyway, no sign of any high wear areas that look like I might want to keep an eye on.

Goes back to the comment I made using the Trek (which I used to ride before getting an e-bike) as a standard to hold the e-bike to. Trek standards (all of them) not difficult to achieve with an e-bike at all.

I get the absence of current mobility issues, but I think we're both able to recognize it's not as much of an "if" as a "when" that situation is going to affect us. For me, it's viewed as an opportunity to go bike shopping again. You mention you are shopping in a "last bike" scenario. Thought it might be worth considering if that's really the case. -Al

The best advice I can give you is to visit as many local bike shops as you can. For me than meant a 90 mile drive down to Seattle and the whole day test riding bikes at three different shops. Then a bunch of reading reviews on bikes that felt good to me, mostly on this website, watching the video review too. Then another trip to Seattle to narrow down the list.

The most common comment I have heard from new ebike owners is almost always something like: "I never imagined I would be riding a bike this often or this far" Buying a cheap mass produced bike may or may not give you the same quality of "whoopee!!" experience that boosts you right into an enthusiastic embrace of ebiking. All too often people who buy lesser bikes seem to arrive at regrets sooner because the bike's inherent limitations just never quite enabled it to do what they want. Personally I ended up spending way more than I initially thought I would or should. Given how much time I spend on my bike, something I never could have imagined, I am glad I spent what I did and got a bike I can count on, that enhances my enjoyment every time I ride it.

I realize that budgetary constraints are more of a reality for most. Fortunately your budget should allow you to get a good bike, especially at this time of year what with clearance deals available on 2018 model year bikes and people's need to clear room for this year's models when the weather gets better. Many solid dealers are discounting some very good bike's right now to around your $2,500 budget.

The best thing you can do is be as precise as you can about how often and under what conditions you think you are going to ride. This will help a knowledgeable dealer guide you to a bike that will serve you best.

Add a grain of salt to the advice you get here. Some of it can be quite good and well informed but there are occasionally shills hiding in the corners, promoting their new brand. And then there is the fact that individuals riders often exhibit confirmation bias in their comments. Do it your self/retrofit guys can't imagine why someone would spend good money on a manufactured from the ground up ebike. Fans of low priced, Chinese made, hub motor bikes would not be caught dead on center drive bikes. Fans of German made equipment really don;t hardly bother looking at bikes from other countries. Some people will never even look at a bike without a throttle, while other would never have a bike with one.

So with all that, get after it and do not delay. Spring is just around the corner. There will be far less on-sale inventory before you know it.
Thx so much for that solid insight. Also the comment as to why I went to a more expensive bike over big box. It became very obvious very quickly to the point that I wondered why I had not done this years ago. The Trek, Specialized, Kona, Giant people build Porsches. The big box guys build chevys. Nothing wrong with chevys, but they will never be porsches. (SP ?) I have owned three Treks and they are a delight. So, I suspect I better hammer the piggy bank again and go see the marque dealers. Great point about spring coming with new models. Good time to score a deal on a year old newby. Again, great info on this site.

Thx so much for that solid insight. Also the comment as to why I went to a more expensive bike over big box. It became very obvious very quickly to the point that I wondered why I had not done this years ago. The Trek, Specialized, Kona, Giant people build Porsches. The big box guys build chevys. Nothing wrong with chevys, but they will never be porsches. (SP ?) I have owned three Treks and they are a delight. So, I suspect I better hammer the piggy bank again and go see the marque dealers. Great point about spring coming with new models. Good time to score a deal on a year old newby. Again, great info on this site.
That’s a good point. While I don’t expect the same lifespan out of my new Raleigh e bike, my niece is still riding a 20 something year old Trek hybrid that I gave her several years ago. It was hit by a car once ( luckily, nobody was hurt). The LBS is happy to keep it on the road.

Yep, I got 10000 kms on mine and other than regular maintenance. nothing done. I suspect if you have an ebike you will even rack up more mileage. So probably I should get something that will hang together over time.

Back