How to de-restrict a UK Vado

you wrote to or called twowheels to ask which kit would be suitable for your bike model
It says right on their website it works with Turbo Tero.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220412-193431_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220412-193431_Chrome.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 155
So I received my Tero 5.0 and the PearTune 3.0 today. I installed the PearTune and it doesn't work. My bike immediately thinks it's going 30mph and then I get an error. The error says it's a speed sensor error. I also noticed in mission control my wheel circumference says 87".

The bike works fine without the PearTune installed. This 19mph limit is ridiculous.

Can a local Specialized shop change it to 28mph since it's the same motor as the Vado 5.0?
Wheel circumference for my Tero 5.0 with 29 in 2.3 in ground control tires was set at 84.65 in (2150mm). The Vado 5.0 I demoe'd had 650B pathfinders and Mission Control had set that as 87 inches (2210 mm). Garmin calibrated wheel circumference of my Tero at 2238mm. Interesting that the 87 inches seems to be more in line with what my Garmin calibrated.

Sorry to hear the Peartune isn't initially working out - will be interested in what the shop response is. Totally agree that the 20 mph limit is really annoying considering how much power the 2.2 motor has.

Wheel circumference for my Tero 5.0 with 29 in 2.3 in ground control tires was set at 84.65 in (2150mm). The Vado 5.0 I demoe'd had 650B pathfinders and Mission Control had set that as 87 inches (2210 mm). Garmin calibrated wheel circumference of my Tero at 2238mm. Interesting that the 87 inches seems to be more in line with what my Garmin calibrated.

Sorry to hear the Peartune isn't initially working out - will be interested in what the shop response is. Totally agree that the 20 mph limit is really annoying considering how much power the 2.2 motor has.
It's doubly annoying that the Vado 5.0 is 28mph with the same motor.

Guys, I support your efforts to successfully derestrict the Teros, as I am in Europe, and if I bought a Mastermind e-bike myself, I would be stuck at 25 km/h... Eliminating me from any gravel-cycling group rides.
On the other hand, I understand the decision of Specialized to make the Tero a Class 1 e-bike, so you guys could legally ride in American forests.

There must have been some EU actions we are not aware of but it looks major "European" players in the e-bike motor market suddenly put a lot of effort to make derestricting the motors very difficult if not impossible. Nubnub knows it well: any Mastermind e-bike won't work with BLEvo anymore, for instance. As Paolo Dozzi wrote: "GAME OVER".

PearTune wrote back to me saying they have the same bikes and it works awesome. They are asking for photos of how I have it connected. I'll have to install it again later today and take photos, but there's really only one way to install it.

I also have the "always on" version. Maybe that's the problem. I bought that version because it was annoying to always have to turn on the Speedbox with my Bosch motor.

I'm very interested in this thread because I have a Tero 5.0 coming. I think it's ridiculous they restricted it to 20mph. I've been looking at the PearTune 3.0 on eBay, but I'm hoping to find someone who has already tried it with a Tero.

As a class 1 ebike, the Tero is allowed on more trails than it would be as a class 3 ebike here in the US. One example, and another.

While there's little (no) enforcement at this time, you never know when some agency might decide to change that.

Last edited:
As a class 1 ebike, the Tero is allowed on more trails than it would be as a class 3 ebike here in the US. One example, and another.

While there's little (no) enforcement at this time, you never know when some agency might decide to change that.
The Tero isn't made to be a real mountain bike (I know it is classified as one, hence the class 1 tag). It is marketed as a commuter bike/ do it all bike, which is exactly what I bought it for. An example of a direct competitor would be the Cannondale Tesoro, which is trail capable and also class 3. Even the Vado is light trail capable.

The Tero isn't made to be a real mountain bike (I know it is classified as one, hence the class 1 tag). It is marketed as a commuter bike/ do it all bike, which is exactly what I bought it for. An example of a direct competitor would be the Cannondale Tesoro, which is trail capable and also class 3. Even the Vado is light trail capable.
The Tesoro is setup and marketed very differently from the Tero. Compare the websit marketing copy, view the marketing photos. Look at the gearing and tires. All distinctly different.

Trek Powerfly 4 hardtail is a far more comparable model to the Tero.

IMHO the Tero seems to aim to fill the role of the Levo Hardtail first, with some stretch into the street arena with available fenders, lights, and rack.

All that aside, my initial comment remains true. Not all trails are single track MTB trails. Here in GA, as with many states, class 3 ebikes are disallowed on bike trails / paths which aren’t adjacent to a road. Never seen it enforced, but that doesn’t mean it’ll never be enforced.

The Tesoro is setup and marketed very differently from the Tero. Compare the websit marketing copy, view the marketing photos. Look at the gearing and tires. All distinctly different.

Trek Powerfly 4 hardtail is a far more comparable model to the Tero.

IMHO the Tero seems to aim to fill the role of the Levo Hardtail first, with some stretch into the street arena with available fenders, lights, and rack.

All that aside, my initial comment remains true. Not all trails are single track MTB trails. Here in GA, as with many states, class 3 ebikes are disallowed on bike trails / paths which aren’t adjacent to a road. Never seen it enforced, but that doesn’t mean it’ll never be enforced.
The Tero is basically a Vado with larger wheels and knobby tires. Even the software version in the Tero has the word "Vado" in it.

I would be riding the same with either bike. I would just put knobby tires on the Vado.

I chose the Tero over the Vado because it is a little more off-road ready (my commute is 25 miles of gravel path). I wasn't worried about the 20mph restriction because I was told by several merchants that the PearTune 3 works with the Tero. Now that I see it doesn't work I might sell the Tero and get a Vado... or go back to Cube with Bosch motor (I do miss the EMTB mode).

I sent a bunch of photos to PearTune today showing the install and then the error. Hopefully I'll have a reply by tomorrow. Maybe there's something I'm doing wrong, but I dont think so.

@giantkn10 Tero is a Cross Country (XC) e-bike.

The list of MTB classes in growing level of trail difficulty:
  1. Cross Country (XC): Tero, Levo Hardtail
  2. Trail: Levo, Levo SL
  3. Enduro/All Mountain: Kenevo, Kenevo SL
  4. Downhill: no Specialized e-bike in this class.
There are hardly any Downhill e-MTBs because a DH rider is lifted or brought in a van to the start of the trail. No need for a motor there.

Last edited:
Guys I own the bike. I know what the bike is. I'm not trying to debate what it should or shouldn't be classified as.

I'm leaving my feedback on the ability to derestrict the bike with PearTune. From my experience, PearTune does not work. PearTune has not responded to my email with photos they requested. I'm now going to request a refund and try to decide if I want to keep this bike.

I know Speedbox works with gen 4 Bosch, so I might look at bikes with the new 750wh Bosch Smart system.

Guys I own the bike. I know what the bike is. I'm not trying to debate what it should or shouldn't be classified as.
I guess I misunderstood what you meant by "I think it's ridiculous they restricted it to 20mph" then.

My point was to clarify (for other readers as well) why Specialized might've chosen to make it class 1 vs the Vado's class 3.

No matter.

Even if PearTune worked, you'd potentially see some challenges with the gearing. Per BikeCalc.com it would seem the Tero with its 36T/11-42 gearing and 29x2.35 tires would get you ~25.6mph at 90rpm cadence in top gear, as compared to the Vado's 32.2mph at 90rpm with its 44T/11-42 and 650B x 2.3 tires. (edit: cassette is apparently 11-42, not 11-50. this isn't material for top speed but changed for accuracy)

Just something to think about as you consider whether to keep the bike.

For reasons of both the 20mph vs 28mph and the gearing differences, I'm looking much more at the Vado and potentially ditching fenders & changing tires rather than looking at the Tero. (so yes, I own neither, but I have studied them in detail)

Last edited:
I'm just riding my 45 km/h unsuspended Vado on deflated Electrak 2.0 tyres and don't care 😊 Even 25 km/h in the forest is scary not even mentioning 20 mph...

20220414_124752-01.jpeg

Current photo.

Last edited:
I guess I misunderstood what you meant by "I think it's ridiculous they restricted it to 20mph" then.

My point was to clarify (for other readers) why Specialized might've chosen to make it class 1 vs the Vado's class 3.

No matter.

Even if PearTune worked, you'd potentially see some challenges with the gearing. Per BikeCalc.com it would seem the Tero with its 36T/11-42 gearing and 29x2.35 tires would get you ~25.6mph at 90rpm cadence in top gear, as compared to the Vado's 32.2mph at 90rpm with its 44T/11-50 and 650B x 2.3 tires.

Just something to think about as you consider whether to keep the bike.

For reasons of both the 20mph vs 28mph and the gearing differences, I'm looking much more at the Vado and potentially ditching fenders & changing tires rather than looking at the Tero. (so yes, I own neither, but I have studied them in detail)
I was actually about to pull the trigger on a Vado 4.0 when this Tero became available. I was going to do that same thing to the Vado, remove the fenders and put on knobby tires.

I only test rode the Vado 4.0 (70nm) around a parking lot, so this isn't an exact comparison out in the real world... but my initial reaction to the Tero 5.0 (90nm) is it doesn't feel like it has any more power than the Vado 4.0. I'm sure I'm wrong about this, but I have to believe the 4.0 is plenty for my riding.

I'm just riding my 45 km/h unsuspended Vado on deflated Electrak 2.0 tyres and don't care 😊 Even 25 km/h in the forest is scary not even mentioning 20 mph...

View attachment 119819
Current photo.
On wooded trails I doubt I ever hit 20mph. But out in the open or commuting I want to go over 20mph. On other ebikes I average 22.5mph on my 25 mile commute. So I only need a little more than 20mph, but that little more means a lot. Nothing is worse than the constant assist-unassist-assist-unassist at the 20mph mark for 25 miles.

Just my opinion, but I think the whole 20mph vs 28mph classification is a joke for pedal assist bikes. Bikes with a throttle is another story.

Back