How Important are Disc Brakes for a Heavy Rider?

Scarecrow

A few reviews and write-ups I've come across mention the biggest value of hydraulic brakes is for heavier riders.
Yes?
No?
How important are they if you are over, say, 250lbs.
(I'm down to 262 from 276... so far -- work in progress!)

I am 235 and my bike has hydraulic rim brakes. They have worked great for me. Wife's bike has mechanical disc brakes. They work good too, but tend to be noisy at times.

I think mechanical disc breaks are wonderful, and as I understand, they are easier to maintain than hydraulic brakes. Maybe someone who knows more than I can chime in on whether the latter have superior breaking power?

My bike has HUGE rotors on the mechanical disc brakes--this makes them super effective.

Oh, yeah, mechanical disc brakes are noisy. I think the noise is a great safety feature, personally! ;)

I think mechanical disc breaks are wonderful, and as I understand, they are easier to maintain than hydraulic brakes. Maybe someone who knows more than I can chime in on whether the latter have superior breaking power?

My bike has HUGE rotors on the mechanical disc brakes--this makes them super effective.

Oh, yeah, mechanical disc brakes are noisy. I think the noise is a great safety feature, personally! ;)

In marginal traction situations you will get much better feel out of a good set of hydralic disc brakes - to the extent that even pad choice becomes relevant as you hold the front tyre on the edge of locking . I guess it's a bit like having abs brakes on a car, 99.9% of the time it's irrelevant, but when you REALY need that extra performance it's priceless?

Might not be a necessity for riding on flat streets, but the feel is wonderful. I've had to grab two hands full of brake in emergency stops, sold me on always having hydraulics. Now single track riding, I consider hydraulics a necessity. I've not touched any part of my Magura 4 hydraulic brakes in over 2,300 miles on one bike and over 2,100 miles on a second. I'd call that super low maintenance. Oh yeah, I weigh 245.

Weight and speed both, but just weight. I usually ride 5 mph or so faster than I would on a pedal bike.

I've ridden well over 100,000 miles on motorcycles. I've had bikes that had mechanical brakes and believe me, hydraulic disc brakes are superior. More responsive, better feel, and way better stopping power.

I reckon under most circumstances, mechanical disc brakes on an ebike will be plenty adequate.

It's that time when you really, really need them that the superior qualities of hydraulic disc brakes will truly shine. I want all the help I can get at that moment. No cables to stretch, and hydraulics automatically compensate for wear on the pads. I believe, but don't have proof at hand, that there is some mechanical advantage to hydraulics also.

The biggest value of hydraulic brakes is for heavier riders. Yes? No?
  • Answer: No.
  • Any advantage that hydraulic disc brakes might have over cable-actuated disc brakes is not somehow exponentially greater for those of us who are a little heavier than we'd wish to be.
... David

Last edited by a moderator:
I've rode a motorcycle with manual drum brakes for years so mechanical disc brakes are like some sort of amazing future technology to me.

I'm 320 lbs, and mechanical disks are working fine for me. They allow all the confidence I need, even in coastal areas where a long down hill runs with a stop sign at the bottom are encountered frequently.

I'm around 270 lbs, Radrover at 70 lbs, and around 20 lbs for accessories+commuter back pack. I upgraded the standard Radrover brakes to TRP Spykes with Jagwire cables. Both work fine in normal stopping; but, the Spykes+Jagwire work way better in emergency stops. I have to adjust less, requires less pull for the same stopping force compared to the old brakes, less noise, and much needed stopping power at +20 mph when work commuting.

My thinking is mechanical or hydraulic brake performance will vary with the type of (e)bike, tire type/size/psi, stopping power needed, riding environment, and rider's skill level.

I also noticed my 4" fat tire ebike stops a little better in the same situations compared to my 700X40C bike with mechanical brakes. I thing it is because my fat tire bike has a larger contact patch to help in braking compared to my skinny 700 tires.

The big thing here is the auto adjusting of hydraulic vs mechancial. When mechanical is adjusted corectly not that much differance between the two but since a lot of us may not keep up on adjusting the mechanical, performance will be reduced. Hydraulic also have a better feel and easier pull. Hope this help. This would not stop me from picking a bike because it did not have the hydraulic brake.

My mechanical disks stop me fine, could throw me over the handlebars if I hit it too hard. (I'm 150 lb). They do need adjusting to not make noise after removing the wheel for tube or shifter repair. Takes about five minutes with a 5 mm allen wrench. Just move until you see daylight under both pads.
Mechanical disks are SO much better in the wet than rim brakes. I hit a car that ran a stop sign with rim brakes in the rain last year. I'm staying away from hydraulic disk brakes: bleeding car brakes is a nuisance task I would like to avoid on a bike. Especially after changing a tube out in the country somewhere.

I switched from mechanical disc brakes to Tektro e725s on my heavy Biktrix Ultra and it makes a huge difference in stopping power and feel. I guess if you just putt around town , the mechanicals will be alright but if you ride 20 mph a lot, hydraulics are the only way to go.

Disc brakes provide more braking power than rim brakes. Also, rim brakes eventually wear your rim out so you'll need to replace the wheel.

My mechanical disks stop me fine, could throw me over the handlebars if I hit it too hard. (I'm 150 lb). They do need adjusting to not make noise after removing the wheel for tube or shifter repair. Takes about five minutes with a 5 mm allen wrench. Just move until you see daylight under both pads.
Mechanical disks are SO much better in the wet than rim brakes. I hit a car that ran a stop sign with rim brakes in the rain last year. I'm staying away from hydraulic disk brakes: bleeding car brakes is a nuisance task I would like to avoid on a bike. Especially after changing a tube out in the country somewhere.
Why would you have to bleed the brakes after fixing a flat? How would air get in the line? It won’t and you don’t have to. You’ve got some bad info if someone told you that.

Disc brakes provide more braking power than rim brakes. Also, rim brakes eventually wear your rim out so you'll need to replace the wheel.
I would qualify that by adding that disc brakes provide more breaking power than mechanical rim brakes, but not hydraulic rim brakes, which I have. I find the stopping power and the ability to control brake pressure superior to that of disks, especially in wet conditions. As for rim wear, yes, it will happen with pads, but I've been on the same pair of wheels (for one of my non ebikes) for at least 10 years, and the wear bar is still very prominent.

I've only had rim and hydraulic disc, so no real comparison. The hydraulic brakes are incredible though.
I suppose mechanical disc will be easier to maintain?

Bicycle disc brakes did not exist 30 years ago, and rim brakes were used to stop even tandem bikes. So no, disc brakes of any kind are not necessary. But they can (but not always) work better than rim brakes, and hydraulic disc brakes generally work better than cable-actuated disc brakes.

It is like the difference between a Shimano Tourney and XT derailleur; they are both indexed derailleurs, but the XT still works much better than the Tourney. The XT is going to require less service over the long-haul as well. It is the same with disc brakes. Some are low quality, others high. Some are difficult to work with, others easy.

Back