How fast are people riding?

"Wear a helmet" is right whether going fast or not. Here is a recent local story of an ebike rider who might still be riding if he had been wearing a helmet.
Very sad but not wearing a helmet is just asking for it. That said, given he hit a bridge, it wouldn’t have likely made any difference. Noticed the article‘s author felt the need to specifically mention it was an ebike. Totally unnecessary.

I would say, the most cautious I have been was while touring on an analog bike going east on 120 in CA over Tioga pass on the decent. Google for pics. I think Canada has some like that and Europe too. Getting a blow out on that and going over the edge would be.....😬

Very sad but not wearing a helmet is just asking for it. That said, given he hit a bridge, it wouldn’t have likely made any difference. Noticed the article‘s author felt the need to specifically mention it was an ebike. Totally unnecessary.
Saw a guy on a Haibike yesterday and today buzzing around with a baseball cap on, no helmet. He blew through a stop sign without even slowing down, and he was an old fart like me!!

Hi All,

I was just wondering how fast people are riding and if they have ever fallen off. Do they feel they are riding within their abilities? I know a lot of people have class 3 but wonder how many are going full speed assist.

Me: between 17-20 with down hill topping out at 25-28. I have fallen 3 times in my youth and have no desire to deal with road rash again, let alone breaking bones. I would say I am experienced (20K+miles) and a good rider in that I can ride no hands on 3" rollers. I don't have much enduro or MTB experience, but I don't care for suspension.

Stay safe everyone!
PS: My LBS guy checked his R&M Charger and said he hit 45 MPH on a hill. He is very experienced but he felt it was too much, lol.
I have ridden 17,000 miles on my fully faired recumbent, non electric. Top speed was coasting downhill at 53 mph, about 15 years ago. Some of the hills along the Mississippi River in Bellevue, Iowa, I would coast down some long hills at 45 mph, and the bike felt rock solid.

I have crashed the bike once on each side. First time a crosswind caught me too close to the road edge and I went down on the gravel shoulder at around 20 mph. No injuries, other than bruising, as the front fiberglass fairing protected my legs. My jacket and the lycra covering protected my skin. And the gravel was like rolling on marbles. Tore the lycra up.

I sold off the fairing and installed an e-assist kit this spring, due to my two prior heart attacks and the 800 ft hills here. Top speed of 28 mph on paved roads is comfortable. I don’t want to go over 35 mph these days, but my kit does not record speed when I am coasting, so not sure how fast I am going down some hills.
On gravel trails, I don’t go over 20 mph.
Most of my riding is on paved trails at 12 - 15 mph....
My new ride is a full suspension Vision that is 20 years old, just like my faired Lightning P38.

Attachments

• E76B9111-99D1-487B-A95A-7086C63E0D2F.jpeg
    E76B9111-99D1-487B-A95A-7086C63E0D2F.jpeg
    201.8 KB · Views: 246
  • 69AB3F59-E24A-4C4F-9F22-E8B12C7645D1.jpeg
    69AB3F59-E24A-4C4F-9F22-E8B12C7645D1.jpeg
    424.7 KB · Views: 274
I try to do about 22 on the roads. but I keep it under 30 on downhills I have lost my bravery. on our tandem I control it even more. we had put a lot stonier brakes to keep that bike under control.

- if needed to go fast , on flats @ 29-32mph In Level 3 assist. Level 4 @33-34mph; casual riding @24-26mph on flats ; long rides @ 20-23mph on flats

- never dropped

- xpert rider, cycling coach (15+years exp.)

A recent team ride... their motto is Strava or it did not happen. ;)
I've inspected my fastest downhill speed in the old Endomondo (and the import of it to Strava). I've never went over 60 km/h! It was the speedo of my Trance that made me think I hit 62.4 kph (the actual wheel circumference is different from the one set in the bike's system). Good. I'm not out there for racing :)

Last edited:
Pretty sure I'm a slowpoke. I generally ride in PAS 1 or 2. So 14mph? Its a easy speed on bike paths and one my wife and our dog ( in her front basket) seem comfy with. I have ridden the bike at 20+ speeds, it rides ok on fatties but I doubt the components on a sub $900 bike are up to the task of doing it constantly. Slow speed mishaps, as I discovered whacking my shoulder on a tree trunk, was a wake up call. No way did I ever figure a 2mph bump would cause the pain in that shoulder that lasted over a month.

My EU restricted Vado has had the wheel circumference adjusted in software so top speed is now 28-29 kph (17.5mph)
I often ride near that limit if traffic situation allows. Been thinking of getting Planet 3 conversion to be able to ride a little faster on open roads. I think 35kph would be enough for me.

By riding constant 35 km/h on road, brother and me were able to catch up with a road-cyclist who dared to overtake us on some Summer afternoon ride :) Yes, it took us a 6 km pursuit; and the guy brightened up to see we had been following him on e-bikes as he could not understand how "tourists" could be as fast as he was ;)

I hit 55 mph while lightly feathering my brakes during a recent trip to Jasper, AB. It was a long descent so getting up to speed was relatively easy. My wife reminds me how I used to ride when I was younger. She is fearless.
View attachment 71280View attachment 71281View attachment 71282
I get scared at 45kph and higher so I apply the brakes. Especially downhills at 48-50kph.Only a handful full of times I went that fast and maintained it when I was in a rush to beat unexpected rainstorms. Although It felt safe on my allant8s I simply wasn’t comfortable going that fast on a ebike.

I usually cruise between 32-36kph.

I live in a very hilly area so almost everytime I ride I hit 40mph+, my fastest e bike speed shown on GPS is 48mph. My Evo display once registered 49.4mph but my GPS showed 47.5 that day! I have been over 50 mph but just with a standard speedo reading from the wheel so not very accurate! I always ride to the conditions and never take chances, my bike makes me feel safe as its super stable at speed! I fell off a 2mph (my feet slipped off the pedal) earlier this year and it hurt so I really don't want to be falling off at speed!

When I was a kid my brother and I routinely went 35mph plus on a long downhill road in rural AZ. We were 13 and 15 on cheap K-Mart 10-speeds. Today, 20 mph is my limit!

Back