How do you inject tube sealant?

tomjasz

Region
USA
City
Minnesnowta
Is there another tool suitable for tubed tires?

Park Tool TSI-1 Tubeless Sealant Injector

30 years of refusing to use. An old dog can still learn...

Park Tool TSI-1 Tubeless Sealant Injector – The Bikesmiths.png

Sooo....to open up a bit of discussion, does sealant actually work? Anyone have before/after stories to share? Is it more than just another mystery oil, like used to be peddled in the USA?
Thanks

As far as getting it in to the tire, I don’t know why you’d need an injector… remove the valve core and just pour one of those two ounce bottles of Stan’s in through the valve stem. The tip of the bottle fits nicely on the stem (assuming Presta here), then screw the core back on and pump it up again. No fuss, minimal muss.

As to question 2, I’ve had some successes and some failures with it, but on balance I prefer tubeless for my gravel bike, which tends to find itself far out into the bushes and on more widely based trips - like up to NH for the Northern Rail Trail… while my road oriented bike, which is more locally focused, might go either way from time to time. My new Creo, which I should be picking up today, is going to start it’s career with tubes, and we’ll see what happens from there. At some point I expect I’ll change it up.

Even with a tubeless setup, always have a spare tube anyhow. If all else fails with a big enough problem, you can throw it in and get back out of bear country, so to speak!

Last edited:
I buy Slime in a gallon jug. With 6 bikes and many tractor implements which have pneumatic tires, I use a lot of the stuff. It's much cheaper in quantity.

The gallon jug comes with a pump that dispenses one oz. with each stroke.

It's convenient to use but it's important to clean the injector tube after each use.

Sooo....to open up a bit of discussion, does sealant actually work? Anyone have before/after stories to share? Is it more than just another mystery oil, like used to be peddled in the USA?
Thanks
First flat at 600 miles. Added slime after the repair and have not had another one since. Bike has over 3,000 miles now. Also have not had to add any air in two years.

The tire sealant products sold for tube tires like Slime come with everything you need. Remove the valve core using the bottle cap (if you don't have the tool) attach the bottle tube and squeeze it into the tire. Clean things up with some water and reinstall the valve core. Easy_peasy_Japanesey

One note on adding air or checking pressure afterwards... Give the tire a good spin so that centrifugal force moves the sealant away from the valve. I've fouled a core not doing so. When home I always give it a blast of air with the compressor/tire chuck to blow any residual into the tire before checking/changing pressure.

ps.... Google is your friend 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:
For my tubeless set up, I use a disposable 25 ml syringe and a blunt drawing up needle - they are cheaper from the vet than chemists , and my current supply are all ( used) horse ones - so far stans plays well with penicillin. They get a bit grungy after about 12 months (10 tyres in a 5 bike family) , so I throw them out .

Theoretically this would cost about the same as that park tools syringe after 10 years IF we ever get rid off the horse....but for now the stupid creature seems dedicated to giving me a lifetime supply of syringes.

Thanks

I think stans works in my tubeless set up - about every 3-6 months I start noticing the tyre goes flat between rides. After 3/4 times I get around to checking sealant level . Pour some new stans in and the flats dtop for another 3-6 months

Thanks
its limited. higher psi it will fail rain it may fail if you cant find what gave you the flat and pull it out it wont work.

wit my new bike and only 50 psi tires I got a flat and I had flat out in the tire. I found a nail in the tire pulled it out and got out my co2 inflator. fill the tire and unscrew it and it unscrews the valve too. ugg. I only had one more cartridge and I forgot I had a tool to tighten the valve so I just replaced the tube.

Google is your friend 🤣🤣🤣
And my look around Google was successful. I wanted opinions from the trusted sources here. As I wrote, I avoided their use after a disastrous mess with these products two decades ago. My exhaustive Googling convinced me that Flatstop was trial worthy. HOWEVER, measuring the correct amount is very unprecise as I watch the videos and read reviews.

And my look around Google was successful. I wanted opinions from the trusted sources here. As I wrote, I avoided their use after a disastrous mess with these products two decades ago. My exhaustive Googling convinced me that Flatstop was trial worthy. HOWEVER, measuring the correct amount is very unprecise as I watch the videos and read reviews.
The bottle is graduated and the amount is written on the bottle... Probably best to start with the manufacturer's directions.

pss... You must have really piss'd off @AHicks for him to pass on an opportunity to praise Slime 😇

New to eBikes but after looking at various YouTube videos I bought FlatOut, which many say is a better Slime. The goop apparently works very well.

I recently came across a bunch of YouTube videos done by "Project Farm," in which the guy tests multiple examples of numerous tools, such as torque wrenches, cordless drills, oil additives, you name it, and he does all the tests in a very logical and rigorous way and then ranks the results. The other day I saw his video where he tests goops in auto tires at normal tire pressures! He drives screws, nails, and even a spike to see if the products can seal holes. I think Slime did very well (FlatOut wasn't tested). By far the worst was the aerosol can "Fix-a-Flat," which produced a milky liquid that sealed nothing.

But he was amazed that the Slime-type goops did amazing jobs on auto (tubeless) tires. I'd assume once you got home you'd want to go to the tire shop to get the tire patched properly.

New to eBikes but after looking at various YouTube videos I bought FlatOut, which many say is a better Slime. The goop apparently works very well.

I recently came across a bunch of YouTube videos done by "Project Farm," in which the guy tests multiple examples of numerous tools, such as torque wrenches, cordless drills, oil additives, you name it, and he does all the tests in a very logical and rigorous way and then ranks the results. The other day I saw his video where he tests goops in auto tires at normal tire pressures! He drives screws, nails, and even a spike to see if the products can seal holes. I think Slime did very well (FlatOut wasn't tested). By far the worst was the aerosol can "Fix-a-Flat," which produced a milky liquid that sealed nothing.

But he was amazed that the Slime-type goops did amazing jobs on auto (tubeless) tires. I'd assume once you got home you'd want to go to the tire shop to get the tire patched properly.
see thats the thing a tubeless tire does not flex like a inner tube does. plus the pressure is lower too except for the fat tires.

Thanks! But, why not?
A lifetime of dissing these products has left me clueless. 🤫
FlatOut may not need to be refreshed as often or ever like Stans every so many months and others need refreshing.

FlatOut is supposed to be able to seal up to half inch holes.

I believe FlatOut "sportsman's formula " is recommended for bike tires. (Thinner?)

Not going to get into a pissing match regarding which is better. The FAR bigger point is to get SOMETHING in the way of flat prevention into that tube.

Back