How Do I Clean My NEW EBIKE?

TaraBara

What do you all do to clean your ebike? Mine is a little dirty from the daily rains we've been experiencing. I want my bike to look shiny and new. Can I hose it off some? I am looking to clean fenders, tires, frame..... you know the dirty places.

TaraBara,
I feel your pain! After riding on muddy trails last weekend I hated how nasty the shiny new bike looked.
I simply used a hose with a gentle sprayer to clean the tires first. No fenders for me so not sure on how to get inside of them. Avoided getting water near the battery, motor and any electrical connections. Used a wet rag on the down tube. Yuck, that was the worst!
Then carefully with a small brush, cleaned and re-oiled the chain. It took a while but patience is worth it.
That’s a very pretty blue bike you have!

TaraBara,
I feel your pain! After riding on muddy trails last weekend I hated how nasty the shiny new bike looked.
I simply used a hose with a gentle sprayer to clean the tires first. No fenders for me so not sure on how to get inside of them. Avoided getting water near the battery, motor and any electrical connections. Used a wet rag on the down tube. Yuck, that was the worst!
Then carefully with a small brush, cleaned and re-oiled the chain. It took a while but patience is worth it.
That’s a very pretty blue bike you have!
Thank you MarciJo!!! Yeah.... the cleaning thing has me totally perplexed. LOL... I like a clean bike and normally I just hose'em down. I am gonna give your suggestions a try. ???

I'd say basically the same way you'd clean a regular bike, with the caveat that you be kind of careful because on some e-bikes the electronics doesn't do very well getting wet.

Another thing that helps a lot is an automotive wheel cleaning brush.

Thank you MarciJo!!! Yeah.... the cleaning thing has me totally perplexed. LOL... I like a clean bike and normally I just hose'em down. I am gonna give your suggestions a try. ???
Get a product like ACF50 or Boeshield and treat all connections, don’t forget about the connections where the battery meets the base. Failure to do so on some batteries can mean nuisance shorts and arcing.

I'd say basically the same way you'd clean a regular bike, with the caveat that you be kind of careful because on some e-bikes the electronics doesn't do very well getting wet.

Another thing that helps a lot is an automotive wheel cleaning brush.
This is a great tip. I might just have to get one of those sprayers. I have a chain cleaning brush. I'll look into a wheel cleaner. Thank you for your help. ?

Damp cloth and lots of rinsing of the cloth to not carry dirt across the painted surfaces. I know of one Bafang hub motor that came on Sondors Fold that had the notch in the axle for the wiring, located on top. Several pictures of rusted motor armatures have shown up on the owners Facebook page. I'm not taking the chances of advertised "made for mud and water". I doubt if the companies would say that includes pressure from a hose.

Mine got cleaned last night during a torrential downpour. We are on a four week camping trip and no place to park it under cover. I even left the key in. Everything worked fine this morning. I don't want a bike that can't get wet. I normally just wash it down with a water hose. If my bike never gets rained on, I am not using it enough.

Mine got cleaned last night during a torrential downpour. We are on a four week camping trip and no place to park it under cover. I even left the key in. Everything worked fine this morning. I don't want a bike that can't get wet. I normally just wash it down with a water hose. If my bike never gets rained on, I am not using it enough.
I agree if I'm in the rain I expect my ebike to hold up. However, I have read that a lot of water can be harmful to an Ebike soooo.... I thought I'll ask my Ebike friends what they do. Maybe someone does it better than me. I like the ACF50 idea.... I'm gonna pick me up a can of that. Last night I used my hose on low and deliberate. Then I wiped it down with a microfiber cloth. My Ebike is clean and it rode like a dream this morning. I like your mini Ebike. Really slick and cool!!!!

ACF50 and Boeshield were designed for use on avionics. They are safe on all electronics and wiring and will absolutely protect components from moisture damage and intrusion. I have to say, most eBikes will stand up to some rain and water spray, but not for long if regularly run without additional protection from water intrusion. I see it often doing customer service. We assume our rides will stand up to rain, but in the world, they may not without some additional attention. As always YMMV. I'm just commenting from 5 years of CS and more phone calls and emails than I can count!

No motor or battery or bearings like any water. So resist the urge to just hose it down other than the tires and fenders.

Last edited:
Back