How can I tell if I'm buying a 2015 or 2016 Stromer ST2?

gbdesai

I test rode a ST2 today and loved it. Big surprise right? Got the same type of feeling as I did when I stepped on the accelerator in a Tesla Model S...

Anyway, they only have one bike in stock, the one I rode, and when I asked they said sure it's the latest, but I didn't have great confidence in the answer.

Are there model year differences that would help me figure it out on my own?

Thanks!

My easy motion had a date of manufacture on the battery, maybe pop it out and check there? I don't know the differences for stromer model years myself.

There is no year indicator on the bike or in the literature. Many vendors do not designate a year if there are no changes. You get the same product whether you are buying a 2015 model or a 2016 model. What matters most is the mileage and the condition of the bike. With the ST2 you can check the total mileage on the bike by going through the menu options. This will give you an idea of how many miles the bike has been ridden.

Where are you located?

Thank you both for the info. I just wanted to make sure i wasn't getting a smaller battery that was maybe in an earlier iteration of the bike.

I'm in the East Bay in California. This bike shop was in Pleasanton, CA.

There were some updates on the ST2.. Pulling the battery out and checking the man. date is a good idea.

If you really are concerned, the serial number should be stamped on the bottom of the bottom bracket.. Take a pic of it and call Stromer HQ in San Diego.. They will telll you.

I test rode a ST2 today and loved it. Big surprise right? Got the same type of feeling as I did when I stepped on the accelerator in a Tesla Model S...

Anyway, they only have one bike in stock, the one I rode, and when I asked they said sure it's the latest, but I didn't have great confidence in the answer.

Are there model year differences that would help me figure it out on my own?

Thanks!

The new 983Whr batteries are not available until the OMNI 3.0 update goes live (which would be sometime in May 2016). Even then, it's only an upgrade. ST2 comes with the same old 814 Whr battery.
As Paul mentioned, you could look at the battery/bottom bracket area and find out the manufacturing date. Battery should have the manufacturing date etched on the outer surface.
From what I have observed, the tire clearance near the chain stay area was extremely tight for the early 2015 batches and that has been solved to some extent. Also, the rack capacity was increased from 10Kg to 17Kg.
They sent out two over the air firmware updates in 2015. Other than these minor changes, 2015 and 2016 are identical. Stromer's product cycle ~ 3 years before any major upgrade happens.

Thanks Ravi , the new battery was something I might plan on getting, as I'm venturing further and used level one almost exclusively yesterday. Either Bionic legs or new battery on the horizon.

So many good dealers in the SF Bay Area there is no need to shop mail order.

The new 983Whr batteries are not available until the OMNI 3.0 update goes live (which would be sometime in May 2016). Even then, it's only an upgrade. ST2 comes with the same old 814 Whr battery.
As Paul mentioned, you could look at the battery/bottom bracket area and find out the manufacturing date. Battery should have the manufacturing date etched on the outer surface.
From what I have observed, the tire clearance near the chain stay area was extremely tight for the early 2015 batches and that has been solved to some extent. Also, the rack capacity was increased from 10Kg to 17Kg.
They sent out two over the air firmware updates in 2015. Other than these minor changes, 2015 and 2016 are identical. Stromer's product cycle ~ 3 years before any major upgrade happens.

Hi ravi
Are you sure about the 17kg rack capacity for the 2016? I bought a new 2016 ST2 in Switzerland 2 weeks ago, and it was ordered directly from stromer by the shop (wasn't in stock, took 2 weeks until it arrived), and my rack has 10kg capacity.

Hi ravi
Are you sure about the 17kg rack capacity for the 2016? I bought a new 2016 ST2 in Switzerland 2 weeks ago, and it was ordered directly from stromer by the shop (wasn't in stock, took 2 weeks until it arrived), and my rack has 10kg capacity.

Mine is a 2015 model and has 10kg limit but I have seen the newer 2016 models and they show 17kg limit.
I thought they started using ticker gauge tubing but you need to speak with them to find out what's really going on.
10Kg is too low for practical usage. The Ortlieb panniers themselves weigh 1kg ..

I got a reply from Stromer HQ and my dealer in Switzerland: the rack didn't change, in tests they found out that the old rack can be used up to 17kg, thats why in newer models they have 17kg imprinted, but technically its the same rack as the one that has 10kg imprinted (thats why the 10kg racks can now be used up to 17kg).

My Bike was actually produced in 11/2015, even though I bought it in 04/2016. The only thing that changed in the 2016 produced ST2 is the kickstand, the rest is the same.

That makes sense, the 17kg one doesn't look different.

The only other thing you might want to keep an eye out for is squeaky break pads, which were a nuisance on the 2015 models and have apparently been swapped out in 2016. I've only had mine a few days but definitely no squeaking yet.

One niggle I had was that after hitting a couple of bumps the saddle rotated upwards. The guys in the store said that happened quite a lot, and swapped the seatpost for me to a different one (one that Stromer is switching to since the release of the ST2 S). It has an extra screw that fastens the seat angle and so far seems to be rock solid.

What is different about the kickstand and is it obvious which one is on the bike?

Back