Help troubleshoot...assist just stops?

I'm having the same issue. Yesterday I noticed some sort of intermittent clicking sound coming from somewhere on the bike. I gave the bike a once over and the only thing I noticed that it could be is the battery, which can move slightly and tap against the frame.

This morning the assist quit after about five minutes of riding with a full battery. I tried powering down and powering back up, but that didn't work. I removed and reinserted the battery and that worked for a few seconds before it quit again. Then nothing I did would get it to work again.

Coincidentally, I ordered the throttle kit a couple of days ago and it should be arriving tomorrow. It will be interesting to test it out. Either way I'm taking it to the shop this Saturday.

N̶o̶w̶ ̶I̶ ̶b̶e̶l̶i̶e̶v̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶c̶l̶i̶c̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶s̶o̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶j̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶a̶ ̶l̶o̶o̶s̶e̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶l̶e̶c̶t̶o̶r̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶p̶e̶d̶a̶l̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶h̶a̶d̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶d̶o̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶p̶e̶d̶a̶l̶ ̶a̶s̶s̶i̶s̶t̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶b̶l̶e̶m̶.̶ I removed the reflector and the noise still happens.

Last edited:
Not sure if this would affect the assist, but I think this has been the issue with my CC's blinking display & shutting down. Looks like corrosion in the connector from the display. I've read that dielectric grease will prevent this.
CC_display_connector.jpg

Youth, Dow Corning DC4 is a good electrical grease. I would use some Boeshield to clean the electrical pins (let it sit overnight) and then add the DC4 to waterproof the connector. Both of these products are popular in the aviation maintenance world.

Not sure if this would affect the assist, but I think this has been the issue with my CC's blinking display & shutting down. Looks like corrosion in the connector from the display. I've read that dielectric grease will prevent this.View attachment 10853
There was no corrosion on any of my connectors. However, I did just install the throttle and discovered that t̶h̶r̶o̶t̶t̶l̶e̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶k̶s̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶p̶e̶d̶a̶l̶ ̶a̶s̶s̶i̶s̶t̶ ̶s̶t̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶d̶o̶e̶s̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ throttle worked for a minute while the bike was in the bike stand, but then I took it for a ride and it stopped working immediately. I'm going to take the bike to the shop tomorrow and see what they say.

Last edited:
There was no corrosion on any of my connectors. However, I did just install the throttle and discovered that throttle works but pedal assist still does not. I'm going to take the bike to the shop tomorrow and see what they say.
Controller was replaced, and bike works like new! My dealer, Rocket Electrics, has been awesome! I don't think I have ever had such a positive customer experience with anything. They gave me a loaner bike, called me with updates, and genuinely cared about getting me back on the road.
My problem was a bad controller also. I took the bike to Bike Attack Electric in Santa Monica,CA and they diagnosed the controller and replaced it the same day. The bike is running normally now.

My problem was a bad controller also. I took the bike to Bike Attack Electric in Santa Monica,CA and they diagnosed the controller and replaced it the same day. The bike is running normally now.

That's my dealer as well. Went in yesterday to get my 10.4ah battery but had an issue with it so I'll come back next week. I see lots of Cross Currents buzzing around the area. They were saying that a lot of people bring their electric bikes in after burning man to be cleaned up.

Youth, Dow Corning DC4 is a good electrical grease. I would use some Boeshield to clean the electrical pins (let it sit overnight) and then add the DC4 to waterproof the connector. Both of these products are popular in the aviation maintenance world.

Looked it up and expensive. Thought might have some at work, but closest thing is Dow Corning Molykote 111. That should work too? Data sheets show that both are very similar.

Looked it up and expensive. Thought might have some at work, but closest thing is Dow Corning Molykote 111. That should work too? Data sheets show that both are very similar.

I'm not sure on the 111, description says food grade silicon lubricant. The DC4 description says electrical insulation compound. There's some on ebay for $15.75 shipped.

I'm not sure on the 111, description says food grade silicon lubricant. The DC4 description says electrical insulation compound. There's some on ebay for $15.75 shipped.

I just may go for the smaller cheaper stuff at a local autoparts/home improvement store. The DC tubes are pretty big that I will never use it up.

Going to get replacement display & wire harness, but in the meantime this temporary fix has worked to keep the contact going. The assist seems to be working normally too so in my case the bad connection was probably the cause of all my issues.
CC_display_connector_tempfix.jpg

My pedal assist just stopped working suddenly Friday at the end of a ride (~500 miles on the bike.) It came back on the next day and stopped working again after 10 miles. No pedal assist or throttle response even with a full charge. Dropped it off at Bike Attack Electric. Thinking it's the controller and they have one coming in tomorrow so hopefully I'll get it back soon. The loaner bike I'm on is cadence sensing and 20mph max :\

The Cross Current is a real pig to ride with no electric assist - 50lb bike with drag from the rear motor - who woulda thunk :)

Last edited:
The Cross Current is a real pig to ride with no electric assist - 50lb bike with drag from the rear motor - who woulda thunk :)

I can only maintain 14-15mph without assist. My only other experience is with Bionx which felt similar unassisted. I thought geared hubs were suppose to be have less cogging then direct drive.

I thought geared hubs were suppose to be have less cogging then direct drive.

They freewheel which DD motors apparently don't but you still get some drag from the magnets. If you lift the rear wheel up, spin it up, and let it coast down it stops pretty fast. My road bike wheels seemingly spin forever when you do this.

Back