Help Me Upgrade My E-bike

Pabigbear

Region
USA
I'm currently riding an M2S all terrain, full suspension e-bike with the bafang bbs02 motor. I have no complaints on the motor or battery, but I've broken or replaced nearly everything on the bike in 1100 miles while riding mostly logging roads and occasionally pulling a small trailer with hunting gear. I've cracked the frame, replaced brakes, chains and cassettes twice, derailleur, derailleur hanger and cable and I'm sure I'm forgetting some other things. So, I'm looking to upgrade to something that will hopefully be more reliable. I'll be using it as described above, mostly logging roads with a trailer once and a while with hunting gear or deer, occasionally a single track. I'd like to stay under 3k, but I'm not sure that's realistic, so I'll say under 4k. Fat tires are not important, but I'd definitely like to stay above 2.7". Brand of motor is not important, but something that will assist my 250 pound frame and gear up some decent hills reliably. MUST be able to operate without a throttle. I was looking at the Frey Hunter and Defung E06, but I'm not sure I want to get into a carbon frame.

Thanks for any suggestions.

See this thread https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/big-guy-looking-for-a-bike-66.48928/
about bikes for people in the 400 lb class.
I would imagine a bike that could withstand 400 lb probably won't crack the frame off road at 250 lb.
I don't imagine those bikes meet your budget.
I hope you log your cracked frame under "known problems and solutions" on the M2S brand forum: So other people will know what they are purchasing. I was stabbed by a fractured frame on a Sears bike in 1957, and have no tolerance for that fault. Unless a published weight limit of the bike is exceeded. I weighed an enormous 40 lb in 1957.

I'm currently riding an M2S all terrain, full suspension e-bike with the bafang bbs02 motor. I have no complaints on the motor or battery, but I've broken or replaced nearly everything on the bike in 1100 miles while riding mostly logging roads and occasionally pulling a small trailer with hunting gear. I've cracked the frame, replaced brakes, chains and cassettes twice, derailleur, derailleur hanger and cable and I'm sure I'm forgetting some other things. So, I'm looking to upgrade to something that will hopefully be more reliable. I'll be using it as described above, mostly logging roads with a trailer once and a while with hunting gear or deer, occasionally a single track. I'd like to stay under 3k, but I'm not sure that's realistic, so I'll say under 4k. Fat tires are not important, but I'd definitely like to stay above 2.7". Brand of motor is not important, but something that will assist my 250 pound frame and gear up some decent hills reliably. MUST be able to operate without a throttle. I was looking at the Frey Hunter and Defung E06, but I'm not sure I want to get into a carbon frame.

Thanks for any suggestions.
I'd like to know more about the cracked frame. Was this crack in the area of the seat post, potentially because the seat post was over extended/too short? If so, that might come under the customer abuse heading.... What did M2S have to say about it?

Wondering as well about the drive line wear? So many variables, especially when ridden hard in an off road scenario (like pulling a trailer off road for instance) .

Bottom line, I wouldn't put too much blame on M2S too quickly. Even if their choice of cassettes, chains, brake pads, etc, were not the highest quality available, proper choices made when replacing those components could have been going to top of the line components.

Thought being, when it comes to replacement parts, carefully made choices could upgrade the factory M2S to one of the better bikes available....

Then, proper usage and good maintenance is STILL going to be key to how long even top of the line drive line components will last.

My thoughts anyway, FWIW.

I've no experience with them, just bumped into guys riding them around here - but would QuietKat bikes fit the bill? My understanding is they are burly and targeted at hunters and the like? (I seem to recall seeing them in Bass Pro Shop)

The Surly Wednesday bike is a fat tire bike you may want to check out. Its not an ebike but should have no problems taking a BBS02 or HD. The bike ($1800) + BBSHD ($670 at Luna) + (52v 28ah panasonic battery $1025) = $3495.
with 1456 watts available for towing, that should be enough to tow pretty good distances

Here is one owner's Wednesday bike with what looks like a BBSHD and a large frame battery.
105967400_653445615386105_8404999739393486758_n.jpg

Back