Help finding the right mountain bike?

DanInStPete

I'm looking for a hard-tail or low-travel FS mountain bike with the following specs:

- Brose or Yamaha motor
- In-tube battery with 600Wh or more
- XL size frame (I'm 6'4" tall)
- Prefer thru-axles front and back
- 52 lbs. or less
- From a quality brand with quality components
- $3,500-$5000

I was really excited about the BH Atom X until I saw they don't make an XL!

The Bulls E-Stream Evo 2 27.5 works but I cannot find a 54cm.

If anyone has any other ideas I would love to hear them.

Thanks!

I’m a real fan of Haibike. I ride a 2016 XDURO Full Seven S RX. It has Bosch power. I’ll pass 3,000 miles on it today.

That YDX is nice, but no in-tube battery.

I am a fan of Haibike as well, I had a FullNine 6.0 that I put a couple thousand miles on. Had a Yamaha motor, was a great bike.

If they had a bike with Yamaha's new, larger in-tube battery and new motor that would be great!

Too bad the Atom X doesn't fit, it's an awesome bike at a great price. I'm 6'2" and ride a medium but I like a smaller fit with a mountain bike so I can throw it around. Good luck finding the bike you want.

Too bad the Atom X doesn't fit, it's an awesome bike at a great price. I'm 6'2" and ride a medium but I like a smaller fit with a mountain bike so I can throw it around. Good luck finding the bike you want.
Wow, you ride a medium? And you don't feel scrunched in the cockpit? I don't really know for sure that the Atom X doesn't fit, but 480mm is pretty short, and my Haibike was a 56cm (though maybe slightly big).

Is this available in the US?
Comes with Yamaha mid drive with in-tube battery.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
That HardNine 5.0 is really sweet. Not a larger battery but I'm probably going to have to compromise somewhere. I can't find it in the US though.

Wow, you ride a medium? And you don't feel scrunched in the cockpit? I don't really know for sure that the Atom X doesn't fit, but 480mm is pretty short, and my Haibike was a 56cm (though maybe slightly big).

Okay, full disclosure...........I'm 80 and haven't checked my height in decades so I'm a lot shorter I'm guess. I have a couple mountain bikes, my other bike is a Yamaha PW-X powered BH Rebel Lynx 5.5 and that's also a medium but seems smaller than the Atom X. I competed in mountain biking when it started ( yes, I was old then ) and even then I just preferred smaller bikes to toss around on tight trails and I still do, I ride larger bikes on the road and rail trails. By the way I've had a Bosch CX Haibike and have two BBSXX powered bikes as well as an eProdigy mid drive and prefer the Yamaha over all of them including the Brose. That's for mountain biking, if you prefer quite, smooth, and refinement Brose is the way to go.

Dennis at BH USA got back to me quickly and said the Large Atom X is good for people up to 6'2". It's a shame, them and Raleigh don't seem to be making sizes for taller guys. And some of the Bulls bike cut off at 6'3". I need to be just a little shorter!

If Specialized made a hardtail with that 700WH battery I would be so happy...

@Feliz you are the man. I hope in 29 years I'm still out there crankin' away and on the forum talking about all my bikes!

@Timpo thank you for that suggestion, he is doing some really cool stuff. For me custom is probably not going to work though. I've bought 5 bikes in the past 20 months and sold 3. I love riding, and also love shopping and trying different things.

Let me explain what I am trying to do. I'm trying to buy one nice ebike for everything from flat single-track to street. To me, a hardtail mountain bike is the most versatile of bikes. You can put some Panaracer Pace tires on it, which are great on the street (I have them on my girlfriend's hardtail) and you're good to go for all of it.

This bike would be perfect for me right now, if it were not regulated off trials I want to ride: https://shopsandiegoflyrides.com/co...-na-cube-reaction-hybrid-45-ex-625-29-allroad

If I buy the Class 1 version I'm stuck at 20MPH on the street, which would be constantly annoying (I like to cruise around 21-24MPH).

So, I need a Class 1 for the trails that I can chip for the street. I had a BikeSpeed RS on my Haibike and it works seamlessly and perfectly. Since Bosch went all Big Brother with the new motors I can only do it with Yamaha or Brose (and really, I don't want to support a company who will brick your motor if you ride too fast).

If I can't find what I'm looking for I'll have to buy a Class 1 hardtail and eventually buy a bike just for the street. Like a Turbo Vado 5.0. This would put me well over $9K, which is double what I want to spend.

Thanks all for your input, I appreciate it!

Specialized has four frame sizes in the Turbo Levo. It is full suspension. There are a few online shops having sales.

So, after months of trying to figure out a solution I finally gave up on trying to have one bike for trail and street. With only Class 1 allowed on trails, and 20MPH being too slow for me for the street, the only answer is 2 bikes. I was sure I was going to buy a Levo Comp or a Giant Stance Pro 29, but then had a last minute change of heart.

So I ended up buying a 2020 Vado 5.0 and set it up like a gravel bike, with Panaracer Gravel Kings running tubeless. Can't ride the trails but it'll smoke everywhere else! I guess it's sort of an in-between solution. Once I get over the shock of this purchase, which will take a while, I'll start looking for a mountain bike...

Thanks again all for your input!

Attachments

• 2020 Specialized Turbo Vado 5.0.jpeg
    2020 Specialized Turbo Vado 5.0.jpeg
    637.3 KB · Views: 358
Back