BH Atom X Pro RC Review

The duke

I exchanged a brand new Bulls E-Stream Evo 2 for a BH EasyMotion Atom X 27.5+ Pro RC hardtail. I felt at the time that the BH offered superior tech, a superior battery, superior quality and a superior warranty. Now I'm having doubts about that decision.
20190425_121200.jpg20190425_100435.jpg
I'm 5'11" with a 31" inseam and got the medium BH which is rated for 5'6" to 5'10". My first observation was that this bike runs large. Clearance over the top tube is sufficient, but tight. This bike will be for cross country, not crazy downhilling, so it's not an issue for me, but I am glad I didn't go with the large, and the small would have worked for me if I were doing more technical riding.

The 2nd thing I noticed was that the seat tube appeared bent, twisting counter clockwise as it went down towards the mid drive motor. There's a large gap at the motor housing created by the crookedness of the seat tube. As you lower the seat post, it grinds against the twisted frame of the seat tube. This makes the welding of the frame and placement of bushings and seals seem really sloppy. I called BH about this and was told it's normal and that several of the bikes in their showroom look the same way. If that's the standard, then I'm disappointed with the quality. That will be filled with mud in no time, which I hope won't rust thru my motor.

20190424_164118.jpg

I took the bike out on the road and was excited to test the Brose S Motor. I weigh 202lbs and live up a steep hill. It's a 2.5 mile climb of about 1,100 feet in elevation, making for an average grade of less than 9 degrees. I did it once using the highest level of assist, and it sucked up 30% of the battery. I did it a 2nd time which reliably used another 30%. I headed down to try it a 3rd time with 40% battery remaining and was shocked to find the last 40% drained at almost double the rate. What's worse, at 20% battery life, the assist automatically drops from boost to the mid level and at 10% battery, the assist drops again to the lowest level. With the nearly drained battery, this assist level was almost unnoticeable.

The full battery gave me 6 miles of 9% grade smooth road climbing on full assist, then another mile of partial assist, so about a 7 mile range or I'd guess around 3,000 feet of climbing.

The Brose motor is amazingly smooth and quiet. A passerby would never guess I had motor support without knowing about ebikes. But the climbing wasn't easy. 'Assist' is the key word....it helps you, but doesn't do the work for you. As long as you maintain a smooth RPM, the brose provides smooth power to back you up, but at 9 degrees, your'e still working....i couldn't have done it for long. Full disclosure...the 3 trips up my mountain were made over 2 days due to my leg fatigue...and I'm not in horrible shape.

One complaint about the Brose motor....I like to stand and get out of the saddle. When the climb doesn't necessitate out of the seat pedaling, which is common with ebike assist, I like to take a hard standing pump, coast a second, then take another weighted standing pump, and repeat. Hard pump, coast, hard pump, coast, etc. The brose motor isn't great with this as it isn't capable of engaging and disengaging so quickly. The ride becomes too jerky pedaling this way. I was forced to stay in the seat and keep my pedal rotations more rhythmic and consistent to realize the benefit of the motor. It made for a more sore butt than I had anticipated.

A small gripe, some of BH's promo material says the bike has 720Wh of battery, while other sources (most) say 700.....it's 700.
Screenshot_20190501-224036_Gallery.jpg 20190502_175420.jpg

I was hoping for nearly 100Wh more than the 650Wh Bulls, but it's closer to 50. The battery does charge quite quickly. From empty to 100% took a little over 4 hours. Another small gripe....to access the battery charge port, you need the key. This is a pain. The charge port sits atop the bike frame under the locking door....the connector is also difficult to line up with the charger as it only inserts in one odd direction. Yet another complaint, the waterbottle mounts are on the short top tube. The space is so tight, that only the smallest of waterbottles can fit there, and it requires a side entry water bittle cage to access. If you want more than 12oz's of liquid, it'll have to be a camel pak.
20190430_122553.jpg

The shimano 180mm brakes function well on the bike. Flying down 2.5 miles of hill at 30mph and riding the brakes the entire way, there was no fade, pulsing or weakness. I do hear the rythmic metal rubbing of both the discs ALL the time when I ride....maybe an adjustment is necessary?

The seating position on the Atom X is definitely on the upright side for a mountain bike, which is what I wanted. The stem is short and rises slightly. The handlebars also rise and are angled inwards. Very comfortable on the back and wrists for a long cross country. The 2.8" Nobby Nics hold the trail extremely well...so much better than the 2" 29s Im used to. No slipping on gravel and hugging the slanted edge of a singletrack to avoid the dog poop that seems to litter every SoCal trail is easy.

BH X SYSTEM

New for 2018, every BH promotional piece, every BH webpage and every BH staff interview on YouTube focuses on the new, aluminum encased and hardened, bluetooth enabled, Garmin compatible, heads up display with 256mb A7 processor. YOU DO NOT GET THIS. They also ALWAYS advertise an ergonomic LED controller with built in vibration motor offering tactile feedback. YOU DO NOT GET THIS EITHER. Despite them being on the BH USA website and touted by BH USA executives, these are only for Europe. What you get in their place is a somewhat hokey looking, plastic, clip on setup. They are "completely functional" as I'm always being reminded by the folks at BH, the folks at my vendor and some folks here on this forum. But they are not what BH advertises. There is no GPS connectivity. You cannot check texts on the bike's computer. It is not hardened to survive a crash. You cannot shift without looking and depending on haptic feedback. It's not nearly as cool as the ads.

In using the clip on computer that comes with a plastic mounting bracket, the color display is clear under most light and easily readable. The 20mph power assist cutoff actually occurs variably between 19.2mph and 19.8mph according to the speedometer. According to my Garmin, it occurs at about 18.5mph, which is just a tad slow for keeping up with the pack on flat smooth road. The Brose engine cuts out almost imperceptibly though, and there is zero motor resistance. The power assist just slowly fades away until you realize it's all you pumping. Very nice transition. I really feel Brose is the best motor out there, though sadly not the most powerful.

20190424_165843.jpgScreenshot_20190424-215948_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20190424-163819_Chrome.jpg20190424_155751.jpg

When trying to use some of the features on my computer, I'm getting errors. When reading the current wattage being used, I'm getting gibberish numbers instead of something between 0-250w. If these numbers actually mean something, hopefully someone can educate me.
20190427_090055.jpg20190427_090058.jpg
The BH Atom X Pro RC weighs in at 52.2lbs on my home scale. The Bulls Evo 2 weighed just over 48lbs. The reflectors, pedals and bulkier control setup on the bike are probably what push it over the rated 51lbs. The extra 4lbs of the BH over the Bulls is really felt when you try to carry the bike over a berm or some rocks. It is definitely significant, and is a reminder that we still have a ways to go until we have long range, light weight, powerful ebikes that are priced for the average consumer.

BH/EASYMOTION VS BULLS
The BH was an easy decision components wise over the Bulls. It has the newer Brose S motor over the Bulls' Brose T motor. It has a 700Wh battery with the newest 21700 battery which is supposed to be good for 1000 charges over the Bulls' 650Wh 50-cell battery that is rated at a 500 charge lifespan. The BH Fox 34 front fork is superior to the E-Stream Evo 2's SR Suntour, and the BH's Shimano brakes feel immediately more powerful than the Bulls' Tektro brakes.

Learning of the superior BH warranty was probably the major reason I decided to return my Bulls Estream Evo. The Bulls has a 1 year parts warranty with no labor. Great if you've got a good local retailer you're willing to put your faith into. But retailers come and go, and warranties are only as good as the paper they're written on. My local guy would only give me a verbal promise that I'd always be taken care of. He also admitted that Bulls are notoriously difficult to get parts for.

BH has a 5 year bumper to bumper warranty with 2 years on the battery, including parts and labor. While I doubt either company will go bankrupt, Bulls has been around for over 20 years and has really been on the international scene for a little over 10 years. BH is a 110 year old company that has been making bikes for 100 years! I felt the longer warranty and more solidity of the company tilted buyer security in favor of BH.

CONCLUSION
The BH Atom X Pro RC is a smooth riding bike with great components. The new frame design feels very rigid and the odd battery placement keeps the hefty 52lb weight centered. In the end, I've been disappointed with a bunch of little problems I've had that I wouldn't expect from a $4,000 bicycle made by a 100 year old, European company. This was supposed to be a Mercedes, but it's feeling like a Honda.

Attachments

• 20190424_171922.jpg
    20190424_171922.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,617
Last edited:
It’s a nice review, you are a very demanding with this one... i mean you can’t expect running it on full assist to not drain like that... just pedal easy on eco, is not a rocket ? .
I’m eager to see what BH haS for 2020.

Well, they do have the Atom X carbone which is truly a dream e mtb. Bike, 35-38lb,and i think is either 720or 750wh. But it also cost 6- 7.000$. I do have to say that given their great warranty. And Zero failures with post 2017 BH ebikes, it is worth it ! Even with a failure i can easily ride a 38lb ebike home.

Last edited:
It’s a nice review, you are a very demanding with this one... i mean you can’t expect running it on full assist to not drain like that... just pedal easy on eco, is not a rocket ? .
I’m eager to see what BH haS for 2020.

Well, they do have the Atom X carbone which is truly a dream e mtb. Bike, 35-38lb,and i think is either 720or 750wh. But it also cost 6- 7.000$. I do have to say that given their great warranty. And Zero failures with post 2017 BH ebikes, it is worth it ! Even with a failure i can easily ride a 38lb ebike home.

I'm a little shocked by your comment, mainly because you're not the only one telling me that the ranges I'm getting are 'normal'. I am getting 6 miles of range (mostly climbing) on the highest (boost) level and 8 miles of range on the mid level assist (sport). After that, I'm on my own, lugging around a dead, 52lb+ ebike. This is a 700w battery and my expectation from my reading on this forum were a little higher. I an only imagine if I had purchased something with a 500w or 350w battery....with my 200lb weight, hilly neighborhood and love for low 20lb pressure in my tires....I might not make it to the end of the driveway and back!
20190524_181103.jpg

Yes, weight and a long steep incline plays a huge factor in the battery drainage. Is exponentially increaseas how fast the cells empty out. Also changing the tires for something with different threads, maybe even a mixture in between road/mtb. Tires will increase the range a lot.

I’m at 175lb and i have to either stay at this weight or get lighter in order to do a 50-60mile ride. And that is with a spare battery also, the backpack probably adds another 25lb. But i ride mine’s at 24mph and UP.

One thing that can improve the range in any assists :
- your display is a lot more advanced then the B/W display and yours has many motor parameters that can be adjusted. Try setting and testing different levels of motor % assist from that menu.

Maybe also reducing the amperage from the menu can boost the range. I don’t know for sure b/c I don’t have a lot of hilly terrain here so i just ride it the way it is . Also i’m not an expert when it comes to highly technical stuff. But i know what I don’t know?

Why can’t you ride in “tour” mode ? That one is still plenty fast and responsive.

There are 4 assist modes , right ? Eco, tour, sport, boost. Actually 5 if you include the “throttle” mode.
The last 2 are really taking the juice fast, esp. at a higher then 175-185lb weight and on an INCLINE. Is the same for all ebikes, probably worse for those w/o good batteries as this brand or other better brands.

In the Eco mode you can go a loooong way , and “tour” mode is good too for medium lenght rides.
It takes time to learn how to ride an ebike and judge the battery levels, to know how to pedal it efficiently.

Q- have you weighed the ebike on a scale ? I know mine is also 55-57lb but i will actually visit a bike store to find out the weight.

That is one reason (lighter ebike) i was really checking out the Atom X Carbon- that one sheds 20-25lb and has the same 700wh battery. But it starts @5k plus.

Last edited:
Yes, weight and a long steep incline plays a huge factor in the battery drainage. Is exponentially increaseas how fast the cells empty out. Also changing the tires for something with different threads, maybe even a mixture in between road/mtb. Tires will increase the range a lot.

I’m at 175lb and i have to either stay at this weight or get lighter in order to do a 50-60mile ride. And that is with a spare battery also, the backpack probably adds another 25lb. But i ride mine’s at 24mph and UP.

One thing that can improve the range in any assists :
- your display is a lot more advanced then the B/W display and yours has many motor parameters that can be adjusted. Try setting and testing different levels of motor % assist from that menu.

Maybe also reducing the amperage from the menu can boost the range. I don’t know for sure b/c I don’t have a lot of hilly terrain here so i just ride it the way it is . Also i’m not an expert when it comes to highly technical stuff. But i know what I don’t know?

Why can’t you ride in “tour” mode ? That one is still plenty fast and responsive.

There are 4 assist modes , right ? Eco, tour, sport, boost. Actually 5 if you include the “throttle” mode.
The last 2 are really taking the juice fast, esp. at a higher then 175-185lb weight and on an INCLINE. Is the same for all ebikes, probably worse for those w/o good batteries as this brand or other better brands.

In the Eco mode you can go a loooong way , and “tour” mode is good too for medium lenght rides.
It takes time to learn how to ride an ebike and judge the battery levels, to know how to pedal it efficiently.

Q- have you weighed the ebike on a scale ? I know mine is also 55-57lb but i will actually visit a bike store to find out the weight.

That is one reason (lighter ebike) i was really checking out the Atom X Carbon- that one sheds 20-25lb and has the same 700wh battery. But it starts @5k plus.

I agree that lower assist will get me farther and that's how I frequently ride. But in testing this new ebike, I'm disappointed that on a 9% grade with a 200lb rider on the highest assist, this bike only goes 6 miles. That is how this bike performs under 'demanding' conditions. When they advertise 150km of range, they make no mention that it could also be as low as 6% of that, which is pretty shocking. Imagine if I wore a 25lb pack and tackled an even tougher hill....I think I need to do another test to see if I can get actual performance down to 3% of advertised. 😜

And I had my bike weighed at a bike shop to come up with 52 and a half pounds. This has been an exciting foray into ebiking, but this bike really leaves me feeling that if it is state of the art, then the industry really hasn't gotten to where it needs to be. I'd like to see denser, lighter batteries with a longer life. Hopefully there will be strides made in the next 5 years to get advertised battery life closer to real battery life under demanding conditions.

When i ride my Nitro on a 1mile 6-7% local climb @ level 2PAS (Pas has 4 levels) , my weight between 165-175lb, it uses about 13-15% of the Battery. I keep it at 10-12mph.
The ebike weights 58-62lb (rear rack and other accessories).
I never tried it at Sport or Boost for the whole climb b/c from the climb is a long way back home and the charger is only a 2amps one....
Have you done that ride in cold weather or in the summer ? When i ride @less then 70 degrees, i can tell the battery is sluggish until is warming up.

When i ride my Nitro on a 1mile 6-7% local climb @ level 2PAS (Pas has 4 levels) , my weight between 165-175lb, it uses about 13-15% of the Battery. I keep it at 10-12mph.
The ebike weights 58-62lb (rear rack and other accessories).
I never tried it at Sport or Boost for the whole climb b/c from the climb is a long way back home and the charger is only a 2amps one....
Have you done that ride in cold weather or in the summer ? When i ride @less then 70 degrees, i can tell the battery is sluggish until is warming up.
That disgusts me. You weigh 165lbs. You climb a 6% grade hill for a mile and use 15% of your battery?.....on level 2 of 4 assist??? Extrapolating, that would mean you could climb for about 4 miles before exhausting the charge? That's so sad and disappointing. How come those types of stats are never features in reviews?

Last edited:
6-7miles to exhaust the battery... but after 2-3hours for charging it, i can do it again , that’s the good part.
If it was a 750wh and a 38-40 weight, it would have been a lot better.

The Atom X Carbon is just that but is 6-7grand !!

That disgusts me. You weigh 165lbs. You climb a 6% grade hill for a mile and use 15% of your battery?.....on level 2 of 4 assist??? Extrapolatinf, that would mean you could climb for about 4 miles before exhausting the charge? That's so sad and disappointing. How come those types of stats are never features in reviews?

Check this out :

I've just placed an order for the BH EasyMotion Atom X 27.5+ Pro RC. Wondering what the OP's experience have been a few months with the ebike? Also, any recommendations accessories/upgrades? Have you found a good water bottle solution given the tight bottle cage space?

Hi e-ocean. I bought a Topeka Alt Position Cage mount. It moves the cage mount screws down about two inches.

I had hoped this would create enough space for a decent water bottle....it does not. 😩😠 All I can fit in there is a stubby, 21oz waterbottle, and even that scratches the frame because it's such a tight fit.

If and when you ever have to carry this bike, you'll find it is heavy. Your hand NEEDS to grab right where the cage mount it. You cannot have a water bottle there...not with a 51lb bike. The only solution I've found is the saddle/seatpost bottle cage adapter.

Regarding upgrades, mine were all pretty specific to my preferences....favorite saddle, runflats, a narrower handlebar, hopefully a suspension seatpost soon. Can't think of any upgrade that's generally needed tho.

I've enjoyed the bike and the customer service from BH has been top notch. I did a TON of competitive research and priced all over SoCal and the internet before deciding to buy. PM me if you're interested in the best deal I found! Enjoy the bike!

I’m about to get this from Lenny’s - is on sale for only 1780$. Can’t complain. The battery is 1300$.

Q- is it a 36v or a 39.6 volts battery ? In your post pic it says 39.6v which is strange, I never encountered a 39.6vokt battery. I’ll ask the folks @ the bike shops about it...

...my battery is the same as pic in this post, which shows 39.6 V / 700Wh. Also purchased from Lenny's.

I’m about to get this from Lenny’s - is on sale for only 1780$. Can’t complain. The battery is 1300$.

Q- is it a 36v or a 39.6 volts battery ? In your post pic it says 39.6v which is strange, I never encountered a 39.6vokt battery. I’ll ask the folks @ the bike shops about it...

That is an excellent price for a BH hardtail eBike with a 700Wh battery and Brose S motor.

Where did you find the $1,780 sale price... I see the BH Atom X Pro RC listed for $2,380?

That is an excellent price for a BH hardtail eBike with a 700Wh battery and Brose S motor.

Where did you find the $1,780 sale price... I see the BH Atom X Pro RC listed for $2,380?

It was earlier (about 4-5days who) at that price and he promised to honor that price for me.
But then there’s the other one the Atom X Lynx 6 Pro for 2380$ and now I’d like to switch for that one.
It has rear shock, better Fox front suspension , dropper seatpost and few other upgrades.
It was 6.000$ retail.

I wonder what Bh will bring in 2020 to make me regret the purchase?? Those bluetooth and gps accessories would be nice as an add on.
They already have the AtomX Carbon in Eu but that’s 7.000$ and very unlikely to be on sale within 12-16months.

How much can this technology progress ?? Airbags, Abs, 1lb mid motors, , 2kw battery under 6lb , Rear view cameras+integrated GPS ?? That’s pretty much it Unless they put retractable rotor wings on them... flying ebike drone.

Last edited:
It was earlier (about 4-5days who) at that price and he promised to honor that price for me.
But then there’s the other one the Atom X Lynx 6 Pro for 2380$ and now I’d like to switch for that one.
It has rear shock, better Fox front suspension, dropper seatpost and few other upgrades. It was 6.000$ retail.

I wonder what Bh will bring in 2020 to make me regret the purchase?? Those bluetooth and gps accessories would be nice as an add on.
They already have the AtomX Carbon in Eu but that’s 7.000$ and very unlikely to be on sale within 12-16months.

How much can this technology progress ?? Airbags, Abs, 1lb mid motors, , 2kw battery under 6lb , Rear view cameras+integrated GPS ??
That’s pretty much it Unless they put retractable rotor wings on them... flying ebike drone.

Thanks for the information... I am also now looking at the Atom Lynx 6 Pro for $1,980.
I like the integrated 600Wh battery, Brose S motor and Rockshox full-suspension design.

The only drawback is the 25kph/16mph euro speed limit... time to look for a Brose speed box.
Do you know if the Lynx 6 Pro comes with the upgraded euro display and control toggle switch?

Last edited:
I want to ask them tmrw- Wenesday about the display, the switch and max . Speed limit.
In Eu they already have the new AtomX and Lynx and they come with a Right side mounted color display and a small vibrating switch. Plus the gps !!

Bicicletas electrical de Montana😉.I’d take 3 of this Por Favor

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

But I think this one since it’s sold here in Us it’s a 20mph ebike, do you think that with a Brose speed box would go even faster on the highest assist ?

About 2020- They also have some e road bikes with 540 wh batteries and their own Bh motor. Is all on that website. They keep us behind here in the States.

Attachments

• 9635A33E-22D1-4F32-BDCD-F85586479570.png
    9635A33E-22D1-4F32-BDCD-F85586479570.png
    639.7 KB · Views: 809
I want to ask them tmrw- Wenesday about the display, the switch and max . Speed limit.
In Eu they already have the new AtomX and Lynx and they come with a Right side mounted color display and a small vibrating switch. Plus the gps !!
Bicicletas electrical de Montana😉.I’d take 3 of this Por Favor

But I think this one since it’s sold here in Us it’s a 20mph ebike, do you think that with a Brose speed box would go even faster on the highest assist ?
About 2020- They also have some e road bikes with 540 wh batteries and their own Bh motor. Is all on that website. They keep us behind here in the States.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Wow, the new 2020 BH bike models look great.

Regarding the speed limit, I have used the Badass box successfully on my Shimano E6000 equipped eBikes.
It removes the 20mph limit and allows you to reach a max of 40mph... actually mid-30's due to gearing. ;)
I know that a de-limiter is also available for Brose and the display shows 1/2 the actual speed, mileage, etc.

So after having the Atom X Pro RC for over a year, do you still recommend? I am looking into getting one of these, but wanted to get more information. Have you had any significant issues with it, or anything of note? What kind of range do you get when not riding hilly terrain and on lower PAS?

Back