Help finding a suitable ebike

Kitkat

Region
United Kingdom
Hi. I’m looking to purchase my first electric bike. Ill be using it occasionally for leisure on cycle paths, which could consist of road, gravel,grass and possibly dirt tracks. I also live where there are lots of hills so I need something that means I can ride up the hills.
I also want a step through as I find them easier to get on as I’m 5ft4. The problem I’m finding is that I like pretty city bikes. E.g pastel colour Pendleton, pashley etc with a basket, but I can’t seem to find any pretty hybrid bikes, only city bikes.
Also the other half is saying I need suspension, mid motor and disk brakes. All which are making my search even narrower.

Can someone tell me if I really do need a mid motor or will a hub suit my needs?

These are some of the bikes I’ve narrowed my search down to. Would someone be able to let me know if they’re ok? Or if anyone knows of any pretty pastel hybrid bikes. 😁. My budget is £2k
Thank you
https://voltbikes.co.uk/e-bikes/classic/burlington
https://www.e-bikesdirect.co.uk/electri ... ah-battery
https://wisperbikes.com/shop/e-bikes/st ... p-through/
https://eskute.co.uk/products/polluno-pro
https://www.leoncycle.co.uk/NCM-Milano-Trekking-E-Bike
https://www.damianharriscycles.co.uk/Ha ... ng-4.0-low

Well, you've left a lot of questions for us...

for example, would you rather have bionic legs, or do ghost pedaling?

At 5'4" you are typically talking a size small. Not everyone sells a size small. Step through is a good pick.

Do you want an integrated battery, or one that looks like it's been bolted on?

Your needs? Are you a stronger peddler, or one that needs more assist? On the specialized website for example, it talks about 2X you bikes and 4X you bikes. Which would you need?

Also, no mention of range...

Here's one that @PedalUma built... is that what you had in mind?

Last edited:
That pink Public one has gravel tires so it can go more places. Those WTB tires on it have hard compound at the center and soft nobs at the edges. I have a small Giant Momentum Vida that has not yet been converted. It is not a Pashley. It is an advanced computer cad generated with a superior step through frame design. Here are a couple of them in Mediums, mid-drives, not Small. And here is a Dutch bike I made electric that is like a Pashley Princess. It blows away $4700 bikes. Someone handy in you neighborhood could do this for you.

Attachments

• BlackVida1.JPG
    BlackVida1.JPG
    390 KB · Views: 227
  • BlackVida2.JPG
    BlackVida2.JPG
    535.4 KB · Views: 227
  • Vida2.JPG
    Vida2.JPG
    425.4 KB · Views: 214
  • Vida3.JPG
    Vida3.JPG
    373.7 KB · Views: 215
  • Dutch02.JPG
    Dutch02.JPG
    358.5 KB · Views: 214
  • DSCF7861.JPG
    DSCF7861.JPG
    982.4 KB · Views: 217
  • Dutch Tweed.JPG
    Dutch Tweed.JPG
    383.1 KB · Views: 208
PedalUma, do you really think someone with no experience in bike maintenance, or a lot of mechanical and electrical aptitude, could rely on a home built bike built by a neighbor? I'm doubtful...

I can't speak to specific bikes but your spouse's 3 requirements all add to price. My ebike has my first disk brakes in a lifetime of bicycling and I love them - very responsive. I'd never go back.

In general a mid drive motor will be better on hills. But I've never had a bicycle with suspension and do just fine. I find getting the seat and handlebars adjusted how I like them makes more difference in my comfort. My husband, on the other hand won't ride a bicycle without suspension. So that is personal preference but if you are riding on bumpy trails it might be nice.

I'm doubtful...
@mikeschn brought it up so I addressed it. I think that anyone with the intelligence to swap a mother board on a washing machine and can adjust a derailleur could do it in these days of DYI videos. It is not like the Maytag man needs a PhD. Just YouTube. I think there are plenty of people like that. It did take one woman in Manhattan about two years to think it over and get it done. There are people like that also.

Given you want to climb hills I would recommend the Wisper Wayfarer M7 mid-drive model over the H7 hub-drive model, the motor is twice as powerful, also the 2022 model year Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 step-through

Last edited:
Apologies for the silence. I’ve been spending evenings trying to look for what appears to be a unicorn bike. Ie just doesn’t exist in my budget.
@mikeschn ive test rode two bikes and actually preferred the feel of the mid motor pushing me, it felt like I was given a boost over the mid motor. But the other half is telling me mid motors are better and that’s why they’re in all the expensive bikes etc and I’ll regret getting a hub one.
Originally I wanted an integrated battery as I think they look more like a traditional bike, however due to the list of requirements im finding it hard to find one and now resigned myself to the fact it’ll have to have the battery in display. If that’s the case I prefer the battery on the frame as opposed to the luggge rack. Peddle wise I’m relatively fit but struggle on the hills esp as my bike is 20kg and only 7gears. It means I end up pushing the bike uphill. The bike you’ve linked to is the look I want but I need it to be able to handle slight off road use ie bumpy grass, gravel paths. I’ve currently got a non electric Pendleton and find my body rattles(along with the bike) over any non paved surface.
@Bikeknit you mention a hub motor would be better on hills. Would you mind saying why so I can understand the difference? Thanks
My budget is £2k although ideally I wouldn’t want to spend that much as it’s only for occasional use when the weathers fine and we have holidays etc.
thank you everyone for all your replies

You mention mid motor 3 times, but your use of the terms are conflicting. Can you clarify which is mid and which is hub?

It sounds like price is pretty important to you... check out the two videos in this thread:

Last edited:
Carrera CrossFuse has a Bosch Active mid-drive, a suspension fork, two frame sizes, and can be serviced at any Halfords.

Liv Rove E+ is above your budget but has 3 frame sizes, a Yamaha derived mid-drive, and can be bought from and serviced at bike shops that carry the Giant brand.

Forme Peak Trail 2ELS uses a Bafang M200 mid drive, two frame sizes, and a suspension fork. Or their Morley 1ELS model is available with smaller 26” wheels, Bosch Active mid drive, and a suspension fork.

Last edited:
You mention mid motor 3 times, but your use of the terms are conflicting. Can you clarify which is mid and which is hub?

It sounds like price is pretty important to you... check out the two videos in this thread:

Sorry. It’s probably my understanding of the different motors. From what I’ve read hub motor is a motor that can be on the back wheel or front wheel whereas a mid motor/crank motor is generally in the pedal area. From what I’ve read the mid motors are the better ones

Carrera CrossFuse has a Bosch Active mid-drive, a suspension fork, two frame sizes, and can be serviced at any Halfords.

Liv Rove E+ is above your budget but has 3 frame sizes, a Yamaha derived mid-drive, and can be bought from and serviced at bike shops that carry the Giant brand.

Forme Peak Trail 2ELS uses a Bafang M200 mid drive, two frame sizes, and a suspension fork. Or their Morley 1ELS model is available with smaller 26” wheels, Bosch Active mid drive, and a suspension fork.
The frome peak looks like something I was after as preferably I wanted a step through. I’ll take a look at it. Thank you

The forme peak looks like something I was after as preferably I wanted a step through. I’ll take a look at it. Thank you
Yes, the Smaller 16.5" frame size fits riders 5' 2" to 5'8" which is good for a bike with full size 700c wheels. More details about the Bafang M200 motor can be found here, and an article introducing the motor here. According to Trade news publication Bike Europe Bafang has had the motor receive a "UKCA certificate from TÜV SUD, an international third-party testing, inspection and certification institution for its M200 central motor drive system...indicates that the product conforms to the latest market access requirements of the UK" in particular meet the requirements of the EN61000 standard to check the system operates without producing electromagnetic interference around it.

Last edited:
My untechnical understanding is that a motor on a rear hub is more likely to overheat or just not have the same range as a similarly sized motor on a mid drive on hills because it is pushing the bike uphill rather than using the bike's drivetrain.

That said, depending on what kinds of hills you are facing, short and not steep vs long and steep, this may not matter. I also understand that some rear hub motors are better at hills than others. Just something to consider since hills are a factor.

My untechnical understanding is that a motor on a rear hub is more likely to overheat or just not have the same range as a similarly sized motor on a mid drive on hills because it is pushing the bike uphill rather than using the bike's drivetrain.

That said, depending on what kinds of hills you are facing, short and not steep vs long and steep, this may not matter. I also understand that some rear hub motors are better at hills than others. Just something to consider since hills are a factor.
Speed, especially throttle only fast hill climbing, can quickly lead to motor thermal shutdown. Saying that, there's lots of folks that aren't after speed and just want an effortless ride, slowly cruising along.

Sorry. It’s probably my understanding of the different motors. From what I’ve read hub motor is a motor that can be on the back wheel or front wheel whereas a mid motor/crank motor is generally in the pedal area. From what I’ve read the mid motors are the better ones
I see in the "best bike" article they mention Aventon. I have one, actually, we have three. For some reason mine has an issue that keeps giving me an error message and cutting out the motor. Tried going through their customer service but got only textbook solutions which did not help. Finally got to technical support and they sent a controller replacement. I had to pay $100 to get it installed (never reimbursed as promised). Turns out it was a used one and not the proper controller for my bike. It partially functions, but I still get the same error message. Tried to get back in touch but get no response from e-mail. I believe they have my phone blocked because I keep getting disconnected after listening to their robo answering system. Anyway, still working the issue. Just be careful. Any bike can have issues, but a company is only as good as its support groups.

Hi,

Have a nice day and all the best.
This is Changzhou Feinidi Co., Ltd. Located in Changzhou, China.
We build e-bikes according to your wishes, but we can build them at a more competitive price.
Please send us OEM or ODM inquiries. thanks.

best wishes
Marcus Liu
Sales Manager
Changzhou Feinidi Co., Ltd.
WhatsApp: +86 17768253673
EBIKE sales link : https://finiti.en.alibaba.com/?spm=a2700.7756200.0.0.145d71d2c8w4cz
Your post is totally inappropriate. There is a classified forum where this belong. You should not be hocking your junky ebikes directly to our members like this. Your posting here is most unwelcome.

According to the environment you are in, I suggest you choose fat tires , which can adapt to various terrains and have better wear resistance.
In addition, choose a high-power electric bike.

Back