Help...Deciding on which dongle to buy..

Two versions that work differently.
I liked the internal mounted version of the Bikespeed RS. It displays correct speed and distance. Since it is a mountain bike, I stuck it inside a piece of foam up in the downtube, safe and secure.
The USB version, the Bikespeed-key is mounted externally, and works differently by halving the speed sensor signal (like the BadAss Box). I didn't see any advantage for me. I just read the website again, it does not say, but I think the Bikespeed-key would display half the speed and distance. Again, this is not a problem to double displayed speed in your head.

Since it is a mountain bike, I stuck it inside a piece of foam up in the downtube, safe
HammsBear, were you OK with doing this yourself after watching the video ?? I am new to riding, having only started riding again in the past year, so mechanically, I can't even keep my chain clean and lubed at this point.

HammsBear, were you OK with doing this yourself after watching the video ?? I am new to riding, having only started riding again in the past year, so mechanically, I can't even keep my chain clean and lubed at this point.
I just put mine in 15 minutes ago, and I am not mechanically inclined AT ALL. Ohh, I did notice the rear derailleur was a mucky mess, so I tried to wipe that off. Only difficult part was loosening the 3 large screws holding the motor in - I had to use a breaker bar on my tiny Allen wrench since it was so small. Only other concern was making sure the wiring is tucked into the downtube and does NOT get smashed on top of the motor when it rotates back into place.

BadAss Box can not be shipped to the USA direct from the manufacturer... but, I got mine from http://www.chefvomradweg.de/ I received it in 15 days. I suggest using PayPal. I use this on both Yamaha PW and PWX Haibikes. I also have a SpeedBox 2 and Bikespeed for Yamaha PW. My preference is the BadAss Box. I can install / remove in 20 seconds. There is nothing to turn on / off, and the ability to use the same unit on PW or PWX. It displays half speed and distance after 10 MPH, but that is not a problem to double speed reading in my head.
Bikespeed works well also. Display speed and odometer read correctly.
SpeedBox 2 must be used in kilometer mode to avoid glitches. This I find annoying.
With any of these units, don't expect to to turn your bike into a hotrod. It takes pretty hard pedaling to maintain 25 MPH.
I am having so much fun on my Haibikes! ... and the little woman can keep pace.

HammsBear-Which Haibike do you have? I am searching for a Haibike with the PWX motor and am interested in putting a delimiter on it once purchased.
Do you recommend the BadAss for the PWX? Sounds like a simplified and easy add on. How about diagnostics from the dealer? I know the Bosch system diagnostic software will detect it was used and flag errors possibly causing a voided warranty on the motor. Just curious before moving forward. Love the extra speed!

Two versions that work differently.
I liked the internal mounted version of the Bikespeed RS. It displays correct speed and distance. Since it is a mountain bike, I stuck it inside a piece of foam up in the downtube, safe and secure.
The USB version, the Bikespeed-key is mounted externally, and works differently by halving the speed sensor signal (like the BadAss Box). I didn't see any advantage for me. I just read the website again, it does not say, but I think the Bikespeed-key would display half the speed and distance. Again, this is not a problem to double displayed speed in your head.

Another question there, the Bikespeed-Key is described as inactive until 20 km/h (or 12.4 mph), then cutting the speed sensor signal in half to the motor and speedo.

The Bikespeed-RS is not described in terms of its behavior at lower speeds or say climbing. I asked Bikespeed by email if it is the same or a similar threshold for modulating the speed sensor signal, and they indicated they would not tell me!!

Do you find the Key and the RS identical in influence on the bike at low speeds?

(My interest is in using it on Yamaha's own Cross Core or Connect to overcome the 20 mph limit, which also reportedly uses a Cadence sensor to optimize power delivery, and potentially complicates the role of Bikespeed's Key above 12.4 mph, and perhaps the RS at any speed.)

Thanks!

Back