Helmets...Wear Them!!!

Dirty Cash

I’m a huge proponent of wearing PPE at all times. I became adamant about PPE many years ago when I began ring motorcycles! Unfortunately, this morning about 6 miles into a short 15 mile ride, I was lucky (or unlucky) enough to test the cranium saving capabilities of my Sena R1. Got a bit too close to where the shoulder meets the unpaved area, gravel and grass and the rest is history! A couple of good samaritans passing by stopped and checked on me.

I took some minor scrapes to my elbows, as well as some scratches to my right grip, pedal and the rear right side of my front fender. Other than that, the bike survived and I was able to finish my ride.

Time for a new helmet!!!

Attachments

• 876DB1B5-5F09-4EB6-BCB6-CA3F630367A8.jpeg
    876DB1B5-5F09-4EB6-BCB6-CA3F630367A8.jpeg
    129.4 KB · Views: 596
  • D377CA30-07FA-4641-898D-7F77A532CA22.jpeg
    D377CA30-07FA-4641-898D-7F77A532CA22.jpeg
    86.1 KB · Views: 594
  • E4EE92D6-7A04-4127-995C-CC8E086BE505.jpeg
    E4EE92D6-7A04-4127-995C-CC8E086BE505.jpeg
    89.3 KB · Views: 577
I have bounced mine off a few surfaces but nothing hard enough to do more than tear the paint up. Glancing blow I guess. Seems like my right knee and shoulder always take the worst of the impacts. Sometimes I forget that my helmet is on now after wearing it so much... even when the visor is down. I guess after wearing an Army helmet (both steel and kevlar) for over 20 years the Giro just doesn't register, hell, even with a GoPro hanging off it.

I have bounced mine off a few surfaces but nothing hard enough to do more than tear the paint up. Glancing blow I guess. Seems like my right knee and shoulder always take the worst of the impacts. Sometimes I forget that my helmet is on now after wearing it so much... even when the visor is down. I guess after wearing an Army helmet (both steel and kevlar) for over 20 years the Giro just doesn't register, hell, even with a GoPro hanging off it.

I can understand that! Although I served in the USAF, the few times I had to wear that Kevlar helmet during deployments and deployment training, the weight of a bicycle helmet isn’t even a factor! Agreed, when I low sided my motorcycle a while back, I went down on my left and my shoulder, elbow/forearm and left knee took a high percentage of the impact.

My sincere thanks for your service!

I can understand that! Although I served in the USAF, the few times I had to wear that Kevlar helmet during deployments and deployment training, the weight of a bicycle helmet isn’t even a factor! Agreed, when I low sided my motorcycle a while back, I went down on my left and my shoulder, elbow/forearm and left knee took a high percentage of the impact.

My sincere thanks for your service!

My last crash has my right shoulder clicking and popping like a card in some kids spokes and it's not gettin' much better. Do they even issue helmets in the Air Farce? Just Kidding! Don't take that seriously... <wink, wink> ;)

Hehehe I just thought of a good joke for my last comment... "My last crash has my right shoulder clicking and popping like a card in some kids spokes when I am....".

None taken!

I know it’s difficult for my Army brethren to comprehend things without the aid of stick figure pictures 😂!!! LOL!!!

I don't like helmets. Never wore one when I was younger. But after the new e-bike and adamant family insistence, I now wear one. I DID NOT want to be that headline, "Newly retired bicyclist now in coma....."

Many years ago I caught the meridian strip while crossing the road, I when over sideways, broke my right collarbone and a couple of ribs and knocked myself out, don't know how long I was out for but I woke up on the stretcher being loaded into an ambulance.

Thanks to the helmet I didn't crack my skull and I am very sure it would have been far worst if I didn't have the helmet on.

Many years ago I caught the meridian strip while crossing the road, I when over sideways, broke my right collarbone and a couple of ribs and knocked myself out, don't know how long I was out for but I woke up on the stretcher being loaded into an ambulance.

Thanks to the helmet I didn't crack my skull and I am very sure it would have been far worst if I didn't have the helmet on.

A collarbone must be bad, really bad. I landed on my chest once and couldn't cough or sneeze (without crying) for over a month. It feels different when you get back on the bike after a bad landing. Little more trepidation maybe, but that lasts about as long as when I say no more Tequila after a mega-hangover.

Yes broke it in two places, but the ribs were the worst, could not lie flat on the bed, so spent a few weeks sleeping on the couch(sofa) in an upright position, not fun

What model Giro comes with the sun visor?

What model Giro comes with the sun visor?

The GIRO Air Attack - Discontinued. I have worn my present helmet almost 10K miles, a little scratched up is all. When I dinged it the last time I started looked at what was on the market and didn't want anything I could find. After searching for a few day's I found one helmet (Tiawan) same color and size that I have now and snapped it up. Not perfect, it should hold both a tinted and a clear visor at the same time, but this is close to perfect for me.

I had a nasty crash two days ago. I was going slow over a mowed grassy area, and was going to cross a curb onto a roadway. The ground near the curb was eroded and masked by the grass. My bike flipped with me going over the handlebars. My 270 pound Adonis-like hulk hit the pavement hard and the bike landed on top of me. I layed in a stunned state for a few seconds thankful there was no traffic. Many scrapes, the worst is a nine-ten inch gash up high on my inner thigh. Bruises are still surfacing. I'm thankful for the helmet that my daughter gave me. I have had brain surgery years ago and am concerned about the noggin. I'll stick to 100% paved roadways in the future.
~Lee

Last edited:
I had a nasty crash two days ago. I was going slow over a mowed grassy area, and was going to cross a curb onto a roadway. The ground near the curb was eroded and masked by the grass. My bike flipped with me going over the handlebars. My 270 pound Adonis-like hulk hit the pavement hard and the bike landed on top of me. I layed in a stunned state for a few seconds thankful there was no traffic. Many scrapes, the worst is a nine-ten inch gash up high on my inner thigh. Bruises are still surfacing. I'm thankful for the helmet that my daughter gave me. I have had brain surgery years ago and am concerned about the noggin. I'll stick to 100% paved roadways in the future.
~Lee

Wow!!! I’m seriously glad that you (walked/pedaled) away from this crash. I didn’t suffer near as bad as you detailed, most of my injuries were minor, with the exception of embarrassment. Helmets/seatbelts save lives!

I was recording via my GoPro while riding yesterday, as soon as I make some time, I’ll have to review the footage and possibly post a link to the video.

Also, as a positive, I reached out to Pedaling Innovations to inquire about purchasing a single replacement pedal vs. a pair. Although they don’t sell singles, they do have a Crash Replacement program with a hefty discount on a new pair. Just shoot them an E-mail ( along with your order number) and they’ll respond by the next business day with a special code...just for you! I purchased my crashed set from them based on @gadgetnut (EBR member) recommendation, and I have to say that they have already proven to stand behind their product, somewhat a rarity today.

Last edited:
Wow!!! I’m seriously glad that you (walked/pedaled) away from this crash. I didn’t suffer near as bad as you detailed, most of my injuries were minor, with the exception of embarrassment. Helmets/seatbelts save lives!

I was recording via my GoPro while riding yesterday, as soon as I make some time, I’ll have to review the footage and possibly post a link to the video.

Also, as a positive, I reached out to Pedaling Innovations to inquire about purchasing a single replacement pedal vs. a pair. Although they don’t sell singles, they do have a Crash Replacement program with a hefty discount on a new pair. Just shoot them an E-mail ( along with your order number) and they’ll respond by the next business day with a special code...just for you! I purchased my crashed set from them based on @gadgetnut (EBR member) recommendation, and I have to say that they have already proven to stand behind their product, somewhat a rarity today.

Helmets and seatbelts are real life savers. Back in the '60's I raced stockcars and believe me you do need them. I got pushed sideways into a concrete wall and other than a bruise from my seatbelt I was okay. I fared better than the jerk who intentionally pushed me. He got a battered face after the race. Things were different then. Now people seek restitution or official sanctions. We never tangled again.

~Lee

Back