I crashed today

JedidiahStolzfus

Region
USA
City
Lancaster, PA
Was riding out to pay rent on the commercial kitchen we're using for the trailer. Even though we're not operating yet we started renting otherwise we wouldn't have a spot when we get started. I was going down a secondary road without much of a shoulder that has a lot of truck traffic due to a nearby quarry. I saw a cement mixer tearing up the 25mph zone towards me and decided it would be better to stop on the shoulder. The high grass hid the steepness of the shoulder and it threw me. Broke my right side mirror's glass and loosened it up so it just spins. Lots of mud stuck in things. Scrapes and bruises on my left leg.

Picked the bike up and kept on going. Yesterday I installed hydraulic brakes that someone has suggested a few weeks ago. They're working just fine. Bike is no worse for wear.

Was riding out to pay rent on the commercial kitchen we're using for the trailer. Even though we're not operating yet we started renting otherwise we wouldn't have a spot when we get started. I was going down a secondary road without much of a shoulder that has a lot of truck traffic due to a nearby quarry. I saw a cement mixer tearing up the 25mph zone towards me and decided it would be better to stop on the shoulder. The high grass hid the steepness of the shoulder and it threw me. Broke my right side mirror's glass and loosened it up so it just spins. Lots of mud stuck in things. Scrapes and bruises on my left leg.

Picked the bike up and kept on going. Yesterday I installed hydraulic brakes that someone has suggested a few weeks ago. They're working just fine. Bike is no worse for wear.
Sorry It's a bit late for this thread, but bike injuries can be severe at the average EBR member's age. Glad you eere able to avoid the truck and serious injury ... at least.

My left leg took the brunt of it, but that side already hurts from welding burns, so extra pain really didn't matter that much. I do really like the hydraulic brakes, although I had to use a bracket off the original caliper on the front for the new ones. The bracket that came with it didn't position the caliper properly on the disc. Otherwise, they were easy enough to install.

Sorry to hear Jedidiah! Glad you’re okay. I fell the other day at school and embarrassed myself. My bike has a high frame bar and I usually lean the bike over to get on the bike. I was on gravel doing just that wearing a back pack with 30 pounds of tools and heavy panniers on the bike. While getting on the bike the front wheel washed out and slid out from under me with no traction on the loose gravel. No damage either, just bruised pride.

I was on gravel doing just that wearing a back pack with 30 pounds of tools and heavy panniers on the bike. While getting on the bike the front wheel washed out and slid out from under me with no traction on the loose gravel. No damage either, just bruised pride.
I had an exceptionally unpleasant crash riding my Vado in the forest a couple weeks ago. I was zooming the forest fire-road at a really high speed when the rear wheel slipped in a small puddle. I crashed together with the e-bike, which usually is the safest method to control the damage (the helmet saved my head!) However, a serious crash of that type typically ends with serious hit on one's hip and one of the legs. In my case, I still have three swollen bruises on my thigh and the lower part of the calf, and these heal very slowly...

You guys are scaring me. My biggest fear is crashing, because it doesn’t go well with blood thinners. Yet, I continue to do stupid stuff, because what fun would life be otherwise, so it’s probably inevitable that my time will come. I do keep my head on a swivel and my hands on the brakes though. 😉

You guys are scaring me. My biggest fear is crashing, because it doesn’t go well with blood thinners. Yet, I continue to do stupid stuff, because what fun would life be otherwise, so it’s probably inevitable that my time will come. I do keep my head on a swivel and my hands on the brakes though. 😉
This was my first crash in about 40 years, that was on was far worse. A nice farmer drove me home that day. A few months ago I found out that he passed away a few years ago.

I was just at Maple Shade this past Saturday.
Heal up, live to ride another day.

I was just at Maple Shade this past Saturday.
Heal up, live to ride another day.
You mean Shady Maple? I've lived here since 77 and I was there the first time last year. Was also at the Bird in Hand Smorgasbord. Neither one impressed me much. But I'm a tough critic on restaurants.

Yes, Shady Maple.. didn't go to the Smorgasborg, but did shop for veggies, fruits, cheese & prepared foods in the stores.

Yes, Shady Maple.. didn't go to the Smorgasborg, but did shop for veggies, fruits, cheese & prepared foods in the stores.
Honestly, I don't think the smorgasborg is worth what they charge. Sure you can eat a lot, but it isn't really that good for what they charge. I've never been in the store, as I don't get up there very often. But we are going to try to setup that way with our trailer for lunch down near Eby's trailer.

The All-you-can-eat steak & lobster dinners are well worth the money, I think.
I know the steaks will be really fresh; plenty of cows in Lancaster.. not sure about the lobsters.
I go for the fresh fruits, dairy & my fav tuna casserole at the market, better quality foods.
The food market seems to give you more prepared food (in weight for the cost) than other places that I know.
Lancaster value.

Last edited:

when i read "broke my" i gasped a little, glad it was just a mirror!

Sorry to have come across your misfortune, though I do understand this happened 10 months ago. My question is this, how do most accidents occur on Ebikes? Are they due to misfortunes, carelessness or other?
I am in no way suggesting that this happened to you, I am just trying to learn, I am new to Ebiking.

Sorry to have come across your misfortune, though I do understand this happened 10 months ago. My question is this, how do most accidents occur on Ebikes? Are they due to misfortunes, carelessness or other?
I am in no way suggesting that this happened to you, I am just trying to learn, I am new to Ebiking.

It's different for every rider.
Each of us ride in different environment, different traffic pattern, different situations.
I mostly ride in large metro traffic, among lots of motorized vehicles and need to filter through between cars, etc..
I take it easy, stay vigilant of my surroundings. Most of my closed calls are due to drivers on their cell phones.

Time to revive this old thread on crashes, I guess ...

Back