Helmet For Class 3 E-Bike

All of these helmets look and I'm sure perform great. But they are also very expensive ~$150-400. My Triple 8 looks and feels extremely sturdy and well made and it only cost me $22 on Amazon Warehouse.

I ride with the Giro Bexley. It is quite comfortable. I really like the rear blinking red light panel. I use the drop down visor all the time. In the winter, the removable ear covers are great. It is surprisingly well vented but the vents have a tab that closes them making the helmet quite good in the rain, not fully waterproof for a real deluge but it keep out a good shower. It is expensive but has the safety and convenience features that I find very useful. The fidlock magnetic clasp is super convenient once you become accustomed to it.
I'm considering the Bexley. Ventilation is my biggest concern. You say that it's surprisingly well ventilated. Would you mind expanding on that? I live near San Diego. It's summer half the year and it's definitely getting warmer. The last few years summer temps have been hitting the 90's with dismal regularity. Commuting to work I need a well vented helmet. I appreciate the feedback.

@GeorgeM - Take a look at the Fox Proframe. It looks like it would be hot but it isn't. The vents work super well and it is very light for its size. I commute in one and only get a little sweaty in the summer. Great face protection too. That was my main concern. If you fall at 20+mph you will be lucky to keep your teeth in a regular helmet. This gives you a much higher level of protection. Only downside I've really found is that it is hard to mount a light on it.

I'm considering the Bexley. Ventilation is my biggest concern. You say that it's surprisingly well ventilated. Would you mind expanding on that? I live near San Diego. It's summer half the year and it's definitely getting warmer. The last few years summer temps have been hitting the 90's with dismal regularity. Commuting to work I need a well vented helmet. I appreciate the feedback.
I do use a Bell super air meps during the summer months (without the chin guard for road rides) but up to about 75 degrees the Bexley remains very confortable.

All of these helmets look and I'm sure perform great. But they are also very expensive ~$150-400. My Triple 8 looks and feels extremely sturdy and well made and it only cost me $22 on Amazon Warehouse.
Triple 8 makes some very good gear.

Any helmet is better than no helmet!

I am sure that ordering the cheapest off amazon is not really the best way to decide on a helmet. The NTA independent testing is important work!!, but you still have to try it on. Like a saddle, if its not comfortable your just not going to use it.
Stefan Mikes...I really liked the fit and features of the Abus helmets. Always loved the look of the Fox and Troy Lee helmets until I was disappointed seeing and trying them on in person. But beauty and fit is really in the eye of the beholder. Bell Super Air helmets with removable chin bar are also nice and light, if a bit expensive. A good one to short-list.

I am currently using a Specialized Ambush with ANGI, as I often ride alone. Love the fit and great ventilation too. Giro helmets are also very high quality too.

Any helmet is better than no helmet!

I am sure that ordering the cheapest off amazon is not really the best way to decide on a helmet. The NTA independent testing is important work!!, but you still have to try it on...I am currently using a Specialized Ambush with ANGI, as I often ride alone. Love the fit and great ventilation too. Giro helmets are also very high quality too.

Yes, and Triple 8 only has one model with MIPs ... I doubt that is the $22 version. I like the sound of that ANGI system. Wonder if there is anything out there similar that isn't bike brand/software specific? I have a similar function on my Android watch but requires being conscious and capable of pressing the alert button.

I wear Bern helmets which are also used for snowboarding and skateboarding. I think they offer good protection. I will also wear a motorcycle back and check protector vest if riding in high traffic or dangerous areas for extra level of protection - https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2622/3862/products/03_800x.jpg?v=1551456852

Consumer reports tested helmets, and price is no guarantee of quality.

Top rated,
Screen Shot 2020-04-12 at 2.16.40 PM.png

Second choice.
Screen Shot 2020-04-12 at 2.16.40 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-12 at 2.17.32 PM.png

The ABUS Pedelec+: First Impressions

I've got the helmet from an Internet store in the Netherlands called Frank. It is not that easy to buy the ABUS Pedelec+, since only a few stores carry these helmets in Europe.
  1. The helmet is very lightweight;
  2. The fitting to your head is done with a knob as it is in the most of helmets. The size Large helmet is good for 56-62 cm (my head has the circumference of 60 cm, no issues);
  3. It has a very good, intuitive straplock (we expect that from ABUS);
  4. The helmet is made with thirteen vents that ensure perfect ventilation of which the frontmost ones sport the anti-insect net; it is decidedly a warm season headgear;
  5. There is a rear LED light, operated by pressing the triangle at the rear of the helmet. The lamp produces continuous or blinking light or it could be switched off;
  6. The rear of the helmet also includes a well-fitted flap under which a nylon rain hood is stored. Very nice thing indeed;
  7. The helmet is NTA 8776 certified.
It was unclear to me how you replace the spent LED battery but ABUS have explained that on their Facebook fan-page.

1587042458505.png

Effective April 16th, 2020, any individual appearing in the public in Poland must cover their nose & mouth.

1587042584750.png

The certification label.

1587042660234.png

The rear LED light (before first use) and the flap cover for the rain-hood.

Last edited:
ABUS Pedelec+ Revisited

It is hard to make a review of a cycle helmet; it is a rare chance to be able write "Hi guys! I had a bad fall on my bike head down just after my wore my new XXX helmet..." 🤣 I have just completed my first ride in the ABUS Pedelec+ helmet and can only say: Worth Every Eurocent! 😊 The helmet is unbelievably comfortable; you actually forget you have worn some headgear such lightweight and comfy the Pedelec+ is. I have also discovered the little secret of the strap-lock. It is magnetic and locks easily without any thinking -- it just snaps in the place itself. There is a security measure in the lock though: It cannot unlock itself. You have to push a part of the lock forward with your fingers to unlock it. Very, very smart, Abus!

1587697858576.png

After the first 50-mile ride in ABUS Pedelec+

ABUS Pedelec+ Revisited

It is hard to make a review of a cycle helmet; it is a rare chance to be able write "Hi guys! I had a bad fall on my bike head down just after my wore my new XXX helmet..." 🤣 I have just completed my first ride in the ABUS Pedelec+ helmet and can only say: Worth Every Eurocent! 😊 The helmet is unbelievably comfortable; you actually forget you have worn some headgear such lightweight and comfy the Pedelec+ is. I have also discovered the little secret of the strap-lock. It is magnetic and locks easily without any thinking -- it just snaps in the place itself. There is a security measure in the lock though: It cannot unlock itself. You have to push a part of the lock forward with your fingers to unlock it. Very, very smart, Abus!

View attachment 50650
After the first 50-mile ride in ABUS Pedelec+
A local brew perhaps? Always a good way to end a ride.

A local brew perhaps? Always a good way to end a ride.
That's from one of the best contract-brewers in Poland, Piotr Sosin of "Browar Trzech Kumpli". He delivers his know-how, recipe and raw material as well as labels to a larger brewery having good water, skill and right equipment; the larger brewery makes the beer by contract for him. Sosin is not only an excellent brewer but his counterpart at the brewery is an excellent brewer, too. No brew from Sosin has ever been bad; he's renowned country-wide amongst Polish hop-heads and he also knows how to sell beer!

Stefan I have been unable to find the Abus Pedelec + in the US, just the Abus Pedelec 2. Seems the only difference is that the light uses a replacement battery for the + and is rechargeable for the Pedelec 2. I like the idea of replacing the battery.

David, I'm not sure whether the Pedelec 2 is certified for Class 3 but who cares? These are good helmets. The Pedelec+ has already saved my head on a fall.

Last edited:
If you’re insured, check your helmet is CPSC certified, I used a 1st gen ABUS pedelec helmet for a couple years that I bought from Rose Bikes in Germany. Great helmet but after a fall I replaced it with an ABUS Hyban helmet I bought off Amazon US which is CPSC certified. It’s not tested to Class 3 speeds and I ride a Class 2 so I’m not recommending the Hyban to you, I’m just saying US insurers have that clause.

Here is the list of NTA8776 certified helmets:https://www.nen.nl/Standardization/Certification/SpeedPedelec-Helmet/Certified-Helmets.htm

The Abus Pedelec 2.0 is NTA8776 certified.

Dewey brings up a good point about CPSC certification. I ASSUME the Pedelec 2.0 is certified since it's listed on the US website and offered for sale in the US. The variant with adjustable face shield has to be imported from Europe and probably doesn't have the CPSC certification sticker.

I've been trying to get hold of a Lazer Anverz for a couple of months now: NTA8776 and CPSC certification, MIPs, highly rated by VT, face shield, removable cover, built in light,

Back