Helmet for big head?

ronr

Slightly off-topic but hopefully allowed. I’ve got a big noggin: I wear a 7 7/8 size Tilley, and am having trouble fitting my head into a helmet comfortably. On most of them the straps cover about half my ear, and it’s just not a good look or feel. Any suggestions?

Oh, I’ve had a Specialized Como 3.0 for a couple weeks and I absolutely love it! I’m really enjoying this group too. I could get lost in reading for hours given the opportunity.

I've been planning to go to the bike shop and find a helmet that fits, but they're not really open except for repairs til end of this month. I had read that Bern is one maker with big head models.

Meanwhile. I cranked the headband open on my existing helmet and readjusted the straps. Fits lower on my head now.

Guaranteed to fit a large head... Spaceballs! 😉

1592281509889.png

Last year I went through the same challenge as you. What I learned was many of the helmets, even their largest size offered, would only go up to 62cm maximum circumference. A handful of models go all the way up to 64cm which is what I needed for my noggin.

Here's a link to the unit I purchased for example:

For the straps over the ears, what I had to look for (and found in the linked example, just doesn't have the straps shown in the photos) is where the two straps in front/behind your ear came together had an adjustable slider, not a fixed point.

Here's a photo of what I have described:
6008828-MTG03.jpg

The adjusters below each ear allow for a comfortable fit.

Perhaps you can visit your LBS and try a few on? If you prefer to order online then I simply suggest looking for the slightly larger sizes (if metric, the 64cm vs the more common 62cm for example) and for the adjusters below the ears in the photos.

Let us know how you make out.

Cheers

Personally, I'd never buy a helmet online, but maybe it's because I have a slightly odd shaped head. Many helmets I've tried on are too tight front-to-back, but fit okay side-to-side. Unless you have the proverbial average sized head you'll need to try the helmet on before you buying it.
Kudos to my local bike shop who brought in a helmet I was interested in, knowing that it might not fit and I might not buy it. Luckily, it fit.

Slightly off-topic but hopefully allowed. I’ve got a big noggin: I wear a 7 7/8 size Tilley, and am having trouble fitting my head into a helmet comfortably. On most of them the straps cover about half my ear, and it’s just not a good look or feel. Any suggestions?

Oh, I’ve had a Specialized Como 3.0 for a couple weeks and I absolutely love it! I’m really enjoying this group too. I could get lost in reading for hours given the opportunity.
I have the same 'big head' issue. Over the years i've had good fits with Bell HLV X-large & Giro Bishop helmets. I recently upgraded to a MIPS helmet, Specialized Align X-large. It's spec'd to fit up to size 8. Fits me very well.

Enjoy that new Como!

Back