Hello, Evelo. Please respond.

jaizon

The Evelo Aurora Limited has been at the top of my next bike to buy list for months now. Then I saw this article, which has caused me some serious concern.

Can you please address these issues? Thank you.

Thanks for the link. I had heard that the motor used on the Evelo Auora Limited edition was a specific one made for Evelo by Depu so glad to see an explanation from Evelo.

And yet, I believe Pedego has stopped using Dapu motors after having many issues with them.

Thanks for the link. I had heard that the motor used on the Evelo Auora Limited edition was a specific one made for Evelo by Depu so glad to see an explanation from Evelo.

Is that for the upcoming version of the bike or was that motor in production last year? And if it is a new motor that's a whole other thing. Don't get me wrong. I want this motor to be excellent because this bike is of great interest to me. But Pedego's decision is also worrysome. I am in awe of Evelo's 4 yr warantee, but I prefer to have to use it.

Have some 900+ miles on my ALE with the Dapu 750W mid-drive.

After about 200 miles usage the motor developed what seems to be the reviews - - -
" when climbing uphill there is a strange quirky noise "

I would not classify the sound as unbearable, however it is strange and quirky.
When motor is under high load it is most noticed and of course on a steep hill we have high load and slow speed and few other noises to distract one's mind.

Would attempt to describe sound as something like a wire brush on a rotating metal drum, it cycles high/low or soft/louder and seems to be a constant frequency - - not changing frequency as my pedaling speed changes. While is has a mechanical sound quality do wonder if it may not be electrical in it's source. Something like an old CRT Television flyback circuit humming along.

Really except for climbing big hills I don't notice the sound much, general riding noises are far louder.

Have some 900+ miles on my ALE with the Dapu 750W mid-drive.

After about 200 miles usage the motor developed what seems to be the reviews - - -
" when climbing uphill there is a strange quirky noise "

I would not classify the sound as unbearable, however it is strange and quirky.
When motor is under high load it is most noticed and of course on a steep hill we have high load and slow speed and few other noises to distract one's mind.

Would attempt to describe sound as something like a wire brush on a rotating metal drum, it cycles high/low or soft/louder and seems to be a constant frequency - - not changing frequency as my pedaling speed changes. While is has a mechanical sound quality do wonder if it may not be electrical in it's source. Something like an old CRT Television flyback circuit humming along.

Really except for climbing big hills I don't notice the sound much, general riding noises are far louder.

Thanks for the input. Much appreciated. How steep and long are we talking here? And has Evelo commented? They seem to have taken a defensive position on EBR, choosing not to address current concerns, like yours (and others have also mentioned this, rather they rely on an old ad-like position they took a while ago. Maybe others will chime in regarding this "sound".

Last edited:
How steep and long are we talking here?
And has Evelo commented?
Like I said, mine has the noise or "a noise" but I don't really pay attention all that much. Am more aware on slow 7 MPH, steep PAS-5 hills.

I've not mentioned this sound to Evelo support.

Hi Folks,

First, if you would like to get a hold of us, please reach out to our customer service team directly. Our phone number is 877-991-7272 and our email is [email protected]

As you might guess, we are very busy right now and simply haven't been paying as much attention to the forum here.

The Dapu motor has been our most reliable drive system, according to the warranty numbers. We have experienced a squeaking that isn't ideal, but is easily remedied by a bit of grease on the chainring mount and torquing its lockring a bit tighter, and these changes have been implemented at the factory level.

We are aware of some of the negative reviews of these motors, but that just hasn't been our experience. Personally, I still have our very first sample bike with the MD-250, and I've got over 2,000 very hard miles on it without any issues. I have intentionally overloaded this bike and treated it as badly as I can and it just keeps on going.

We believe the Dapu motor is a great motor, and have just updated the Galaxy to include a 500 watt version of the same motor. (Rumor has it that we'll even be releasing a new bike with a different motor from Dapu soon. OK fine, I just started that rumor, and it's about 99% certain now)

All the best,
David Dye

Back