Headlight switch for Vado SL

rochrunner

Region
USA
City
Rochester Hills MI
I'm not going to belabor my reasons for wanting this, but I do find bike headlights to be distracting if not downright annoying when used on MUPs in the daytime with mixed traffic. Anyway, after having a switch on my Vado 4.0 I've been wanting to put one on my Vado SL 5.0 since I got it and finally got around to installing one today. I saw one guy who had somewhat crudely just cut the wire and spliced in a switch externally, but thought it looked messy. The way I did it used existing connectors in the wiring harness, also making it completely removable or replaceable in the future.

Here is the existing wiring in the top tube under the TCU where it connects to the wires coming from the h/l. In this photo I've pulled the connectors apart where I'm going to add the switch:
2022-11-13 14.21.06.jpg

The switch is from a search on Amazon for "handlebar switch". The ones you'll find are actually for motorcycles, but this one was a nice fit, simple, and the right color:
2022-11-21 09.25.03.jpg

The cables feed into the top tube here. The jacket on the switch cable was too thick to get it neatly through the plastic "grommet" so I stripped it off just short of the entry point and taped it for a few inches where it goes in. I redid the cable ties later (not shown).
2022-11-21 09.19.19.jpg

The connectors are a standard 2.8mm type and I was able to install the matching connectors on the (red and blue) switch leads with solder, shrink-wrap, and insulator as required:
2022-11-21 09.16.36.jpg

Connected:
2022-11-21 09.17.39.jpg

After that it was just a matter of carefully stuffing the wires back in place so that I could put the TCU back in place and batten it down with the torx screw. It made for a clean installation, works like a charm, and could be easily removed and the original connection remade.

(By the way, that yellow cylinder on the blue wire is a piece of shrink wrap that I ended up not having to use and hadn't cut it off when the photo was taken.)

Whenever I'm putting spade connectors or any other two part piece like that in an enclosed place I cover them in marine heatshrink if they're going to be exposed to the elements. Those connectors can work loose over time and you don't want a powered lead shorting out inside that tube. The heatshrink will keep them together.

I also no longer crimp those connectors on, I solder them. The plastic over the connector will hold up to the heat. You'll get a far better electrical connection by soldering.

Whenever I'm putting spade connectors or any other two part piece like that in an enclosed place I cover them in marine heatshrink if they're going to be exposed to the elements. Those connectors can work loose over time and you don't want a powered lead shorting out inside that tube. The heatshrink will keep them together.

I also no longer crimp those connectors on, I solder them. The plastic over the connector will hold up to the heat. You'll get a far better electrical connection by soldering.
Yes, I soldered them for sure! These connectors snap together very firmly and my connections seem every bit as good as the OEMs.

Rochrunner good job that looks great, i wish it just came on our bikes with head light on/off option
I height missing with wiring

Rochrunner - can I ask if this controlled both front and rear lights or just the front ? Difficult to see from the wiring

Rochrunner - can I ask if this controlled both front and rear lights or just the front ? Difficult to see from the wiring
Just the front. My bike is a non-EQ with the taillight in the seat, which went away when I got the Redshift seatpost and a different seat. I use a Garmin Varia radar taillight instead.

Thanks - I want to operate both but hopefully might get a DPST switch to work

Reference Note - The Rider Workbook for the 2024 Turbo Creo 2 has a section on lights starting at page 31 and includes a wiring diagram. The systems are essentially identical to the Vado SL/Creo SL and eliminates some of the guesswork of what lights work with the system. Creo do not come with lights so they list compatible lights in addition to the two OEM Lezyne that are used on Vado SL models. The OEM lights are designed to be mounted upside down so the StVZO light cutoff pattern works properly.

Back