Having trouble deciding between the Trek Verve+ 3, Allant+ 7, and Allant +7S

sgvtrees

Region
USA
Long story short, I want the ergo's of the Verve+ 3, but the power, torque and range of the Allant+ 7 (or 7S).

I prefer super relaxed ergo's with a straight back and no excessive reach to the handlebar. The Verve+ nails it in this category, but it has a relatively weak 50 Nm Bosch motor compared to the Allant+ 7. The Allant is billed as a "sporty commuter" with a slightly bent back, which I am not a fan of, but a more powerful 85 Nm torque motor. I know I could just buy an adjustable stem for it, but I fear that if I try to turn an Allant+ into a Verve+ via stem and riser mods, other things could go wrong. What do you think?

The vast majority of my riding will be on flat, paved road surfaces like bike paths. Most if not all of my rides will be 30+ miles. There's a nice 55 mile loop around my area that I'd like to be able to do with some pedal assistance.

Last edited:
Have you tried the Verve+ 3 and know from your own experience that the motor isn't strong enough? Or are you just comparing specs? I also went for high power (Tero X 6, 90 Nm) but on rides similar to what you describe I rarely go above 50% power. My last ride was on a mix of road, asphalt path, and various grades of gravel. It was about 30 miles long (1000' of elevation) and I spent 60% of the time at 20% power (microtune), 25% in ECO (35%) and 16% in SPORT (which I have set to 50%). On the way to the trail there's a road section where I regularly hit 28+MPH on the flat in SPORT mode.

I own a Verve +3 and have put about 3700 miles on it. I really like it. I do a little over half my riding in tour mode, which I think equates to 40 nm of power. I do kick it up when going up a steep hill or into a head wind and probably 20% of my riding is in turbo, which is the full 50 nm. So far the farthest I’ve ridden is around 40 miles and the Verve +3 has the power and range for that. I’m very happy with the bike.

All that said I’d love to have an Allant with the extra power and range and an considering trading mine in for one next year. For me from the point of view of endurance it’s my butt, feet and hands that limit me, not the bike, my legs or lungs. The faster bike with more power and battery would let me go further by riding faster in the same amount of time. 55 miles is certainly doable on a Verve +3 but you wouldn’t be able to use the higher assist levels much. My typical ride I average 13 to 14 mph and on very calm days closer to 15 mph. Hope this helps.

The Verve+3 was my first ebike. 2,500 miles then sold it and bought the Allant+7s. 7,800 smiling miles so far. The Verve is a great bike but I kept topping-out @ 20mph and wanted to go faster.

Have you looked at the Verve+4s? You may get all you are looking for in the 4s.

If you really want the 7s, add a handlebar extension to raise your sitting position. I did and the Trek tech said it is the most common add-on to the Allant. Trek is also discounting the 7s to near the 4s price.

Have you tried the Verve+ 3 and know from your own experience that the motor isn't strong enough? Or are you just comparing specs? I also went for high power (Tero X 6, 90 Nm) but on rides similar to what you describe I rarely go above 50% power. My last ride was on a mix of road, asphalt path, and various grades of gravel. It was about 30 miles long (1000' of elevation) and I spent 60% of the time at 20% power (microtune), 25% in ECO (35%) and 16% in SPORT (which I have set to 50%). On the way to the trail there's a road section where I regularly hit 28+MPH on the flat in SPORT mode.
No, I haven't been able to test ride one yet. I'll see if I can make it to the Trek store tomorrow. In fact I have never even ridden a single E-bike, but I just know that I want a Bosch mid-drive bike with very upright and relaxed ergos.
I own a Verve +3 and have put about 3700 miles on it. I really like it. I do a little over half my riding in tour mode, which I think equates to 40 nm of power. I do kick it up when going up a steep hill or into a head wind and probably 20% of my riding is in turbo, which is the full 50 nm. So far the farthest I’ve ridden is around 40 miles and the Verve +3 has the power and range for that. I’m very happy with the bike.

All that said I’d love to have an Allant with the extra power and range and an considering trading mine in for one next year. For me from the point of view of endurance it’s my butt, feet and hands that limit me, not the bike, my legs or lungs. The faster bike with more power and battery would let me go further by riding faster in the same amount of time. 55 miles is certainly doable on a Verve +3 but you wouldn’t be able to use the higher assist levels much. My typical ride I average 13 to 14 mph and on very calm days closer to 15 mph. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info. Have you ridden and compared your Verve+ 3 to the Allant+ 7? Are you going for the Allant+ 7 or 7S?
The Verve+3 was my first ebike. 2,500 miles then sold it and bought the Allant+7s. 7,800 smiling miles so far. The Verve is a great bike but I kept topping-out @ 20mph and wanted to go faster.

Have you looked at the Verve+4s? You may get all you are looking for in the 4s.

If you really want the 7s, add a handlebar extension to raise your sitting position. I did and the Trek tech said it is the most common add-on to the Allant. Trek is also discounting the 7s to near the 4s price.
How did you feel comfort wise going from the super upright Verve quill stem to the more aggressive leaning forward position of the Allant+ 7S? Did you get used to it quickly? Did you have to get the cables redone after raising your handlebar?

Last edited:
BTW I haven't been able to find much info on this, but are there any differences between the 2021, 2022, and 2023 Verve+ 3 models, besides the color scheme? I believe 2020 and before was the previous generation with the slightly weaker motor right? So I should try to go for 2021 and up?

No, I haven't been able to test ride one yet. I'll see if I can make it to the Trek store tomorrow. In fact I have never even ridden a single E-bike, but I just know that I want a Bosch mid-drive bike with very upright and relaxed ergos.

Thanks for the info. Have you ridden and compared your Verve+ 3 to the Allant+ 7? Are you going for the Allant+ 7 or 7S?

How did you feel comfort wise going from the super upright Verve quill stem to the more aggressive leaning forward position of the Allant+ 7S? Did you get used to it quickly? Did you have to get the cables redone after raising your handlebar?
Per the ride positions of the Verve vs Allant, I am 5’8” and never felt totally comfortable on a medium size Verve, but always comfortable on the Allant size medium. In particular, mounting and dismounting from the Verve — it was too tall even with correctly sized seat height. Side-by-side the Verve is a taller bike frame.

You definitely need to ride both bikes to determine which frame suits your preferred riding position. Personally, I like the slightly more aggressive position of the Allant. Another key factor for me between Allant models is the 7’s suspended front fork and more utilitarian rear rack.

A buddy self-installed a handlebar riser on his Allant and broke his rear brake line. My dealer installed mine with no cable problems.

Per the ride positions of the Verve vs Allant, I am 5’8” and never felt totally comfortable on a medium size Verve, but always comfortable on the Allant size medium. In particular, mounting and dismounting from the Verve — it was too tall even with correctly sized seat height. Side-by-side the Verve is a taller bike frame.

You definitely need to ride both bikes to determine which frame suits your preferred riding position. Personally, I like the slightly more aggressive position of the Allant. Another key factor for me between Allant models is the 7’s suspended front fork and more utilitarian rear rack.

A buddy self-installed a handlebar riser on his Allant and broke his rear brake line. My dealer installed mine with no cable problems.
Oh you had the traditional frame Verve+ 3? The one I am looking at is the lowstep version so mounting and dismounting shouldn't be an issue on mine. Do you recall what year your Verve model was? Yeah I should really go test ride both models

Oh you had the traditional frame Verve+ 3? The one I am looking at is the lowstep version so mounting and dismounting shouldn't be an issue on mine. Do you recall what year your Verve model was? Yeah I should really go test ride both models
My wife and I bought Verves in May 2020. She got the low-step. Gave us good exercise and something to do during the pandemic.

Long story short, I want the ergo's of the Verve+ 3, but the power, torque and range of the Allant+ 7 (or 7S).

I prefer super relaxed ergo's with a straight back and no excessive reach to the handlebar. The Verve+ nails it in this category, but it has a relatively weak 50 Nm Bosch motor compared to the Allant+ 7. The Allant is billed as a "sporty commuter" with a slightly bent back, which I am not a fan of, but a more powerful 85 Nm torque motor. I know I could just buy an adjustable stem for it, but I fear that if I try to turn an Allant+ into a Verve+ via stem and riser mods, other things could go wrong. What do you think?

The vast majority of my riding will be on flat, paved road surfaces like bike paths. Most if not all of my rides will be 30+ miles. There's a nice 55 mile loop around my area that I'd like to be able to do with some pedal assistance.
I changed out the stem on my Allant+ 7S to be more upright and like the result. I had to make sure the new stem wasn't too long to avoid having change-out the cables for longer ones.

I changed out the stem on my Allant+ 7S to be more upright and like the result. I had to make sure the new stem wasn't too long to avoid having change-out the cables for longer ones.
Kudos on your bike. I just love it when riders rant about their Allants.

I have both a 7s and an 8s. (9.5K miles and 1.5K respectively)

The 7s will always be my favorite of the two.

My total investment on the 7s is >2x $ of what I have into the 8s so far.

Back