Have you ever actually weighed your ebike as you normally ride it? How and what did it weigh?

Dallant

Region
USA
Have you ever actually weighed your ebike as you normally ride it? How did you weigh it and what did it weigh? No, I haven’t yet done this myself and am wondering how best to do it.

Have you ever actually weighed your ebike as you normally ride it? How did you weigh it and what did it weigh? No, I haven’t yet done this myself and am wondering how best to do it.
I haven’t done it. But when I was a “roadie weight weenie”, I used a luggage scale. I’m guesstimating my bike is probably 47 pounds.

Sure, we have a certified floor scale at work that can read up to five or six hundred pounds.

The best way is to stand on the scale holding the bike, then again without the bike and subtract.

If I'm feeling lazy but coordinated I just put the back wheel up on the platform, then engage the back brake and walk the bike up until it's balanced on the rear wheel.

My Haibike is on the heavy side for a Bosch powered bike, about 59 pounds. It's been a while since I weighed the whole thing but I probably have 6-10 lbs of added weight from bags, clothes, tools, lunch, water, etc.

I haven’t done it. But when I was a “roadie weight weenie”, I used a luggage scale. I’m guesstimating my bike is probably 47 pounds.
I’m wanting real weight of the bike and all accessories I normally ride with. I was told my stock Allant+7 weighed 47.5 lbs, which I’ve never believed. Now when I go to the Trek web site it’s listed at almost 55 for the large frame version but I have a medium. Now that I’ve changed the seat, seat post, added bar ends, a saddle bag and trunk bag, mini-pump, tool kit, patch kit, extra tube, gloves, jacket, water bottle, etc. I’m curious what it really weighs. My guesstimate would be 70.

I have a hanging produce scale. I remove the produce basket and hang the bike on the hook by the front tire. Weighs 54 pounds without the 8 pound battery installed.

You made me curious, so I dug out the luggage scale. My bike is a medium Turbo Como 3 with the smaller battery and the wimpy "E" motor. Equiped with extra lights, rack, plastic fenders, mirror, and frame bag (half full) the scale is jumping between 46 and 47 pounds, b/c I can't hold it steady. Add a pound or two for water and snacks, and just under 50 lbs. FWIW.

I am a reformed weight weenie who once built a carbon fiber road bike that weighed 14.36 lbs with pedals. ;)
With my electric bikes, this is less of a priority... the road bikes are 42-44 lbs and the mountain bikes are 49-51 lbs.

Last edited:
I just weighed mine standing on its rear wheel on a fairly accurate bathroom scale and got 57.8 lbs with battery, seat bag containing my tool kit but w/o trunk bag and it’s contents. Like so...
CDDE24D6-3C54-4F6D-88E0-1A529DE1FC63.jpeg

Hmm, looks like I'm the heavyweight here. I came in at 72 lbs this morning dripping wet with everything still on the bike.

I used two platform scales for people. With tools, tubes, panniers, racks, cable & lock, 2 water bottles, 94 lb. I have very thick thighs, only Dickies carpenter cut will fit me. I'm 154 these days. After shopping add 40-80 lb for supplies.

Last edited:
I used two platform scales for people. With tools, tubes, panniers, racks, cable & lock, 2 water bottles, 94 lb. I have very thick thighs, only Dickies carpenter cut will fit me. I'm 154 these days. After shopping add 40-80 lb for supplies.
You win ! About 300 pounds is the limit on many bikes.

42 pounds. Diamondback Maravista with 250W rear hub.
P1500708.jpg

39 pounds.

P1650108.jpg

46 pounds Steel Frame Trek
R9110455-2.jpg

53 Pounds. BBS02 on Diamondback Wildwood,
P1510255.jpg

All I know is that the advert with the young gentleman casually lifting it up and putting into the boot of his car after folding it makes it look so damned easy.I tried it and it pulled my 5th vertibrai out of socket.

As posted earlier, my Pedego Interceptor weighs 64# with battery using a hanging produce scale.
Arkel panniers with tools, bike lock & spare battery = 21#
Arkel handlebar bag with water, snacks & camera gear = 8#

My wife has the same bike but hers weighs 1/4# less. The only difference is hers has spoked wheels and mine has mags. I always thought mags were much heavier than spokes but in this case, the mags weigh just 1/4# more. For me, It's is well worth the bit of extra weight since the mags increase the bike's weight carrying capacity to 400#.

Back