Have you ever actually weighed your ebike as you normally ride it? How and what did it weigh?

My Buzz weighs around 60 pounds with battery and full water bottle. Seems light to me , but anything under 80 pounds feels like a 10 pound bag of flour to me. Still working as a mason at 60 years old.

Surly Bridge Club - large, 27.5" wheels, with a 500w geared front hub and 750w downtube battery - 46lbs
With fenders, rear rack and rear light - 49lbs
As normally ridden with one medium size rigid pannier, basic tools, tube, lock, a few bungy cords - 55lbs

I use the bathroom scale technique. It's not a terrible unit, but like all bathroom scales, not very accurate! To satisfy my OCD, I will weight it in several places-- kitchen and living room-- and usually will get the same reading. If I keep getting a 1-pound difference-- say, 40 vs. 41 pounds-- in multiple locations, I split the difference, figure it's 40.5 lbs.

The weights listed below do not include my armored jacket, so add 5 pounds on the days I'm wearing that, and a few ounces for a mobile phone. Also does not include lights or my tiny water bottle, which are probably about half a pound between them.

Trek 930 Kit bike, 40 lbs.

Survivor Smallest.jpeg
The ridiculously named Motobecane ULTRA eAdventure: 49 pounds.

Moto Ultra eAdv Small.jpg

DA474B4D-4132-44B6-A040-AB7B91F27C8F.jpeg

I didn’t think of weighing the bike when I got it. But with water bottle cage, mirror, bell, DIY steering stabilizer, protective covering on all cables, panniers containing two 2 lb each chain locks, bike tools and bungees, Thudbuster ST shimmed seat post and big spring seat.

The bike weighs 68 lbs.

I'll bet just about everyone wishes they had access to one of those (an accurate and easy to use industrial scale). Although I'll bet many wouldn't be very happy with the results. I think just about everyone (owners and vendors) discussing the weight of their ebike will underestimate it. Accessory creep leads directly to weight creep, something that I think just about every owner of an ebike experiences.

Back