haibike xduro allmtn rx 2016 - what size?

Hi, I'm newto forum and really need some help on frame size. I'm 5ft 9in xinside leg 29-30cm. I tried a 48 cm frame and it was too big xthe store had a 46cm which i tried and it felt ok xmaybe a little stretched for me xbut the standover height on top tube was fine. store recommended a 42cm / 16 x5in xThis seems way to small for me. Getting good advice in UK is not easy on haibikes.

Any advice welcome

thank you

steve

Hi, I'm newto forum and really need some help on frame size. I'm 5ft 9in xinside leg 29-30cm. I tried a 48 cm frame and it was too big xthe store had a 46cm which i tried and it felt ok xmaybe a little stretched for me xbut the standover height on top tube was fine. store recommended a 42cm / 16 x5in xThis seems way to small for me. Getting good advice in UK is not easy on haibikes.

Any advice welcome

thank you

steve

45cm frame should be ok. I have a friend who is similar to you in terms of height and uses 45cm frame.
Martin at https://www.e-bikeshop.co.uk/ is the best person to guide you properly. He is also probably the largest Haibike dealer in UK.

Hi Ravi, Martin is whom i'm buying the bike from. He seems nice enough, but maybe not the most customer focused person i've ever met. i reminded him that i want to be sure as its a lot of money. The bike only comes in either 42cm / 16.5in or 46cm / 18in sizes that are any good for me. He seems to think the 18in is too big for me and the 16.5 in would be better. The idea would be a 44/45, but they don't do this bike in that size so i need to decide soon.

It really depends how aggressive a rider you are. I'm 5'8" and ride a 17" mountain bike, my Stromer electric is 15.5" and my road bike is 55cm.

If the 18" feels too big, drop down to 16.5". You can raise the bars and push the saddle back easily.

Hi Joe, I'm not an aggressive rider, and have had back issues so really want to get this right size. I take on board what you are saying in terms of saddle and bars etc. I also have a road bike which is 54cm. What i find frustrating with bikes is the massive differences in sizing differences between brands. I suppose the perfect size for me is in-between the 2 sizes available i.e. 17".

Steve, whereabouts in the UK are you ?

There are plenty of other Haibike dealers in the South East, and also plenty of other brands that you could look at as well. Trek, Cube, Giant, Scott, Focus, and obviously KTM as well. All available in the South East.

I'd suggest looking at as many as possible before jumping in, as it's alot of money to be spending on what could be either the wrong size or a compromise in size.

Assuming that you are in the UK, Being in the UK, you would also do well to ask here. http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/forums/which-electric-bike-should-i-buy.40/

Steve, whereabouts in the UK are you ?

There are plenty of other Haibike dealers in the South East, and also plenty of other brands that you could look at as well. Trek, Cube, Giant, Scott, Focus, and obviously KTM as well. All available in the South East.

I'd suggest looking at as many as possible before jumping in, as it's alot of money to be spending on what could be either the wrong size or a compromise in size.

Assuming that you are in the UK, Being in the UK, you would also do well to ask here. http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/forums/which-electric-bike-should-i-buy.40/
Thanks Eddie, I'll take a look at this site. I think I'm a little frustrated in that the older you get the better service you want. The people who seem to sell these bikes in my limited experience are finding they are growing in demand but the knowledge isn't as good as i'd like. It really doesn't compare to the knowledge base i'm used to when buying a high end road bike. I think Haibike need dealers who have much more knowledge of their bikes and customer focused.

As an example when i bought my collage race bike they did a bike fit etc etc. no one seems interested when selling the Haibikes.

sorry bit of a rant!

Steve,

For what it's worth, I bought a 2016 Allmtn RX and I'm 5'8" with 30 inch inseam. I bought the 46cm. It feels like a natural mountain biking position. Nice bend in my arms as I reach for the handlebar. This is my first bike with a dropper post. I feel like it's being wasted on me. I only use it when I remember it's there! The seat post would go too high if I let it. I usually bend my legs to the position where I want the seat, then push the lever and let the seat come up and hit my behind. Probably an unintelligent way to do it.

Here's me standing next to it...excuse my curves.

IMG_3626.jpg

Hope this helps,
Mike

Last edited:
Hi Ravi, Martin is whom i'm buying the bike from. He seems nice enough, but maybe not the most customer focused person i've ever met. i reminded him that i want to be sure as its a lot of money. The bike only comes in either 42cm / 16.5in or 46cm / 18in sizes that are any good for me. He seems to think the 18in is too big for me and the 16.5 in would be better. The idea would be a 44/45, but they don't do this bike in that size so i need to decide soon.

Steve,
42cm should be alright. But a test ride would be a better idea.
At 6ft, even I was just about ok on the 45cm frame but I have 33" inseam.

Steve, I have a 2016 Xduro all Mountain RX. I'm 5 foot 10 and 170 pounds. I ride a 50cm model and can't imagine being on a smaller frame. Remember that this is a mountain bike and it is very important to feel comfortable while you are standing not just sitting.

Thanks for your replies, i really appreciate your help. I haibike dealers feel you should be able to sit on bike with dropper post down and have both feet near flat on floor. i think this is incorrect (imho) and from previous experience. When i did this i was on tip toe, but I've tried this on my current bike a 29er and was same, but very comfortable riding bike.

Martin you are identical to me in terms of height and inseam, did you try the smaller one also, or maybe your advice was better than mine. went to another dealer yesterday and he didn't have a clue tried sell me a 48cm frame.

Martin, your bike looks great and i ride with some people who have plenty more curves and can beat the slimmest a guys on hills, how do they do that?

@steve atkinson

It's good to see you putting the effort into getting the right bike for you. I would agree with you a good ebike is a lot of money and unfortunately many ebike shops aren't prepared to fit you properly to a bike. It doesn't have to end there in that confusion or the confusion you may get on forums, where you might read of several people with the same general body size and type as you with different frame sizes. Also very confusing! What now?

Back to this is a lot of money! Professional fitting services aren't as expensive as you might think and just about everyone these days has access to one. Most of these pro services have testimonials on their web sites or will offer references to you. Whether a daily commuter, road racer or mountain biker, anyone can benefit from fitting. For a little time and money you could walk away with a computer printout with specifications of what best fits you. No more confusion and no more guessing.

I live in very rural Central Pennsylvania and I have access to these services, for not a lot of money. Especially when compared to what you may waste getting the wrong bike. Here is an example of services in my area:
http://www.holmescycling.com/about/...8PrZxSEY2nV-fieGW2_mnz7DPmEftW3ZEwaAm9a8P8HAQ

I'm not sure of where in the UK you are but a quick google search of fitters in or near London, I came up with:
http://www.vankru.com/?gclid=Cj0KEQ...pecaArfj8P8HAQ#/retul-bike-fitting/4544144291

This part is of ZERO help to you! I'm 6'2", with a 33" inseam in stocking feet and I ride a 19.5" (49.5 cm) Evo 29'er and it's the most comfortable MTB I've ever ridden. I tried many 29'er bikes and had an informal fitting, not with the company I noted above, but a pro's advise on whether the bike I wanted would fit.

My ride:
my evo 29er.JPG

Good luck to you in your quest to the most comfortable MTB you've ever ridden!

JR

Thanks Eddie, I'll take a look at this site. I think I'm a little frustrated in that the older you get the better service you want. The people who seem to sell these bikes in my limited experience are finding they are growing in demand but the knowledge isn't as good as i'd like. It really doesn't compare to the knowledge base i'm used to when buying a high end road bike. I think Haibike need dealers who have much more knowledge of their bikes and customer focused.

As an example when i bought my collage race bike they did a bike fit etc etc. no one seems interested when selling the Haibikes.

sorry bit of a rant!

Steve, if you happen to be near Tunbridge Well, pop in and have a word with Rob Montgomery at Cycling Made Easy. He has been in the cycle industry for a very long time, and from my experience is very accommodating.

Full suspension bikes are a frustrating one in respect of size. I'm 5'10" with an inside leg of 32" and fall between sizes as well. I opted for the largest frame size, which by memory was a 53cm frame and it is fine for 80% of the time, but is frustratingly too large for the scary 20% The next size down was frustratingly the other way around.

If you were close to Crowborough, you would be more than welcome to come and try any of my bikes.

Thanks again to everyone. I have had 2 bike fits's the past, one much more professional than the other. The problem is each bike has it's own geometry and hence would need it's own bike fit to be precise i.e. saddle, stem length etc. This appears to be a non starter for most e-bike dealers, even the ones getting good ratings i feel are from people who don't know any better on what service they should expect at that price point. Hope i'm not being too unfair.

Eddie, i'll speak with Rob and see what he says. It's a nightmare as really like bike, but being in between sizes doesn't help. The down stem angle, causes the dropper post to sit an inch or so higher than it should which causes the bike to be artificially high. I'm a little concerned about the top stem being shorter than i'm used to.

My friend told me that if your in-between sizes you should go for the smaller one, hmmmm

I'd say that your friend is correct, or at least if you intend to ride anything technical off road. My hardtail pedal mtb also falls into the category of being frustratingly about 25mm too small. but ultimately does give you more control.

Out of interest, where are you intending to generally ride the bike?

Back