Haibike Urban Plus 2017 - The most exciting Urban E-bike!

Torn between Haibike Urban Plus and IZip E3 Protour. Like the range and torque sensing on the Haibike. IZip is a couple hundred cheaper and lighter. Any input appreciated!

Ditto!
Both models avail on the izip website and seem to share many components...both currently at half price, which to get though!

I got Urban Plus last week and have 100 miles on it. So far I am loving the COBI system!
  1. posts to Strava
  2. quiet route navigation that takes me through scenic routes that I didn't know existed
  3. ambient sensing front light
  4. alarm
  5. COBI wakes up as I walk up (?) or when I activate COBI app nears it
  6. I can listen to podcast while I commute to work
  7. tracks my cadence.
Other details have been discussed but I would like to point out that the bike has excellent side visibility from the integrated lights and reflector strip on the tires. I was also pleasantly surprised that I can upshift three gears to get to lower gears fast.

I fitted my bike with a Wald folding basket. It works wells but scratched my rack. I blame it partly on the basket design and also on my overzealous effort to secure the basket. I ended up just using multiple zip ties and that solved the problem.

I got the Bordo X-Plus 6500 and found it hard to lock up because of the wide tires and beefy rim. It was easier to lock up with a regular sized U lock, but for convenience I would use a longer U-Lock.

A negative. One time I was trying to stay with traffic at a busy intersection with Turbo Mode and the motor was shut off. I think my battery was around 10 to 15%? I hope that that the system would just limit the motor amp demand or won't allow me to access turbo mode if the battery can't supply the amp demanded by the motor.

I am trying to find out if I can install Light and Motion Nip and Tuck lights.

Inspired by the Urban Plus, I am now looking for an e-cargo bike and retrofitted it with a COBI system.

I think that is common to many electric bikes, when the battery gets toward zero, avoid being in the highest assist modes....

Would it be possible to swap the fork out for one with suspension? That would made this bike much more attractive for me since in the Midwest we have lots of rough pavement and curbs to deal with. That's one of the main things that's holding me back since I am concerned about a harsh ride on broken pavement at high speeds. Right now I ride a Juiced ODK 500 and when I hit bumps in the trail it can be jarring.

Would it be possible to swap the fork out for one with suspension? That would made this bike much more attractive for me since in the Midwest we have lots of rough pavement and curbs to deal with. That's one of the main things that's holding me back since I am concerned about a harsh ride on broken pavement at high speeds. Right now I ride a Juiced ODK 500 and when I hit bumps in the trail it can be jarring.

Ian, perhaps take a look at the suspension stem from the folks at redshiftsports. https://redshiftsports.com/stem
While a suspension fork can be added it comes with weight, maintenance, and greater complexity. I think with the suspension stem, and the fat Schwalbe tires, you'll have a lot of road impact taken out of your ride. Plus you'll get to keep that beautiful alloy blade fork that gives this bike such visual presence.

Last edited:
I think that is common to many electric bikes, when the battery gets toward zero, avoid being in the highest assist modes....

Yes, my system will not let me ride in a higher assist mode when the battery gets below 18%. It automatically kicks it down to the 2nd lowest assist mode as a warning and to conserve battery life. Nice system IMO.

I just ordered a 2018 Haibike Urban Plus in the grey color.

And the dealer called me this morning and said, "Sorry, the large frame size is no longer available."
Oh well... back to the drawing board.

I am looking at the iZIP E3 Protour.
What are the differences between this bike and the Haibike Urban Plus?
It looked to me like the HUP had shift detection and a bigger battery?
Does the 2018 iZip e3 protour have shift detection now?
Otherwise, the bikes look very similar. Slightly different brand of brakes...

And the dealer called me this morning and said, "Sorry, the large frame size is no longer available."
Oh well... back to the drawing board.

I am looking at the iZIP E3 Protour.
What are the differences between this bike and the Haibike Urban Plus?
It looked to me like the HUP had shift detection and a bigger battery?
Does the 2018 iZip e3 protour have shift detection now?
Otherwise, the bikes look very similar. Slightly different brand of brakes...

Seems they both use the same motor/system so whatever detection haibike has izip should also have it. It should be easy to check, you may send them an email.

They seem to be very similar bikes.

Looking for an Urban Plus. Anyone know who is large size in white?

Good luck, if you find them, let me know. I searched for a while today and every place I found says they are all sold out.
The smaller frame sizes are in some local stocks, but aren't in stock from Haibike anymore.

Well, I ended up getting something a little different because of the prices..
I ordered a Haibike SDURO Trekking 4.0 (with the Yamaha motor).
The price is good, but I don't think it has shift dection either, and it isn't a 28MPH, only 20.
Well, I'll switch threads to one more relevant now.
Should arrive in a week or two, I'm excited.

Well, I ended up getting something a little different because of the prices..
I ordered a Haibike SDURO Trekking 4.0 (with the Yamaha motor).
The price is good, but I don't think it has shift dection either, and it isn't a 28MPH, only 20.
Well, I'll switch threads to one more relevant now.
Should arrive in a week or two, I'm excited.

What made you go with that model?
What price point were you able to obtain it for?

I am value conscious not strictly price conscious. I know there are less expensive e-bikes, but I wanted a compromise between quality, simplicity, durability, and price. The price I found was $1999 with a 10% discount, no taxes, free delivery, final cost is $1799.10
Buying with a credit card that doubles warranty.

I used to commute with a non-electric bike, I had a hiatus from this due to my now almost 4 year old son. I also have a weehoo "turbo" trailer that my son is gleeful to ride on. I have ridden many thousands of miles on traditional bicycles, and motorcycles, so handling gear changes and managing my chain torque both subconsciously and proactively is not a concern to me (would have *liked* shift detection, but decided I didn't need it). I have taken my son on bike rides lately (non-e bike) and found that I don't *love* being sweaty and grinding out big hills like I used to. I'm 47 years old now and have an artificial joint in my foot and torn menisci in both knees. But I still love the breeze, and I need some exercise. My off-road days are past, I used to ride a Yamaha WR250R dirtbike, broke my knee. I might get on crushed stone paths and maybe a little gravel, but if you wouldn't drive a sedan over the surface, I probably wouldn't be excited to ride a bike over it either.

I tried my wife's throttle controlled hub motor bike. Love the assist, but don't like managing a throttle on a bicycle, and don't think I would have the self-discipline to get exercise while using it. So, want peddle assist (PAS). Due to trailer mounted at seat post, a top mount battery pack wouldn't work. Also think the idea of a Mid-Drive that pulls through the gear reductions could help when towing a trailer up a hill. Due to commuting, I like integrated fenders, pannier rack, front and rear lights.

A lot of the bike trails in my area may get strict about speed-pedelec at any time, and don't feel the need for super fast. I had a speedo on some of my bicycles in years past, and think cruising in the 12-15MPH is plenty fast enough. Didn't like what I had heard about the Bosch "wall" at 20 MPH (for when I do want to pedal madly). Saw a video review of a bike shop owner who chose a GIant Quick-E+ as his personal bike because he had tried the different options and chose the Yamaha based on his preference the "feel". I test rode a Trek Bosch and thought it was a bit noisy, saw videos demonstrating that Yamaha was a little quieter. I like the simplicity of the Yamaha control panel. Was momentarily geek-entranced by the thought of the COBI, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that the bike and the phone don't need to have any integration. A control system that is simple and dedicated is likely to be easier and more reliable, I can always put a cell phone mount on the handlebars if I really want to see GPS, or control music/podcasts to bluetooth headset.

I'm a big guy, 250 lbs and just over 6' tall. The fact that this SDURO frame is also used in trail-bike applications hints that it will likely handle a little rough treatment. My old bike had 700c by 32 tires, I felt like I was SQUISHING them and risking a pinch flat. This new bike has 700c by 40, so they are a bit wider. If I do find myself in a really bumpy situation, I can unlock the front suspension and do old-man low-quality bunny hops of the rear tire over bigger bumps.

I don't know if I will like the front suspension, but it does have a lockout for when I might not like it. I have owned Yamaha motorcycles, and like the idea of a vehicle drive train developed by them, I figure they have a lot of engineering experience when it comes to small two-wheeled vehicles. (millions of motorbikes on the road...) I wanted a quality bike because little mechanical things bother me (I'm just like that).

The Haibike SDURO seems to be a good value at the price I found when compared to other bikes at the same level of build/component quality.

I haven’t had a chance to go on an extended ride yet. I’ve only put about 20 miles on it so far. Power is plentiful. I’ve ridden mainly in 2 or 3. I did try 4 or turbo briefly and you can maintain 28 easily. It also conquers hills without much effort. I have to say I’m pretty pleased.

Update...I got my bike back - Urban Plus - motor was cutting out when under torque for 0.5 seconds every two or three pedal rotations.

I had perhaps 50-60 kms on the bike. Bike store was top notch (Cit-e-cycles in Vancouver Canada). They did not yet have the diagnostic equipment for the Trans-X motor so they called Haibike. Haibike sent out a replacement motor. I wasn't too excited to have my motor replaced on my brand new bike so the store manager just exchanged my bike with a new one from his next order which took about 5 days.

Since then the bike has been great. I spend most of my time on assist level one, but bump it up to assist level three for hills I cannot maintain at least 15kmh on level one. I cycle to and from work (10km each way with about 200m of elavation change). I recharge after 4 days and 80kms with about 16% showing on the battery. On flat terrain I would guess the 100km estimate for assist level one range is accurate.

As a side note, the Cobi navigation is hopeless, much better off using Google maps.

Converted

Have ridden this bike about 20 miles in the last 2 days and so far impressions are good.
A caveat with the review is that I'm the opposite of Court and have tried one other hub motor bike so mind you this is completely unscientific. Also: I didn't get the Cobi universal mount in the box when I received the bike, I've attached my phone to the bike but haven't used it as my panel, have been driving blind and I wan't to assure everyone, you can control the assist and the lights with no phone, you just don't get your MPH.
  • Most surprisingly the handling and cushion are very good for a suspension-less bike. I just feel there's a lot more of a sportiness in the handling than the hybrid style non-electric Trek I usually ride. I like the look of the seat but I'm considering an upgrade and would have to research the best options
  • The motor is a little weird for me. When the terrain is straight forward flat-ish or slight incline it's good and very predicable. When it's rolling or gaining momentum downhill, I have a hard time getting the motor to not be confused about what's happening when it tries to catch up to the increasing speed. This may be normal on all mid-drives? The other issue is any need to stop on steeper grade hills. If they're steep enough, getting started can be hard and you need to rotate enough to get your assistance to kick in. Best I can come up with is to downshift preemptively. It's like driving a standard car in some ways, not nearly as mindless as a hub motor. I've been playing around with holding in the 'bell' button on the Cobi directional controler which seems to act like a throttle when I'm sitting still, it's not walk assist since I held it in and found myself running to keep up with it. Does anyone know what that button is spec to do? When I'm on the bike and rolling at all, I can't figure out whether it's doing anything. I was hoping this might be the magic hill start button.
  • I've experienced one cut out on a hill where it just stopped and and there was quite a delay about 3 second before it kicked back in. The only thing I could guess was that it might have been a result of me being in a low gear and pedaling quite fast, possibly beyond the 120 cadence rpm I've read this bike is speced for. It's probable that it's just a binary cut-off when one exceeded 120. I will test again to get a more concrete conclusion for the assist cut-off.
  • To be continued

Back