Haibike Urban Plus 2017 - The most exciting Urban E-bike!

My Urban Plus is 2017.

So last night on my ride home about 4 miles into it while climbing a very steep but short hill (>13%, 200 ft long) I received a message that said shutting down motor due to low battery. The battery still read 18%! I was left pedaling away unassisted. After about 1.5 miles of this I stopped, shutdown the bike then restarted it to get a the rest of my ride home assisted. It seems that when the motor had to work really hard it had some sort of failsafe. Does anyone understand how this works?

Hey,

Same thing happened to mine. around 18% and it shut off to "protect the battery". Did you ever find out any more about why this happens? Is this a COBI thing? and if there is any way to customize this setting?

Anyone look at the Haibike website recently?

They recently opened the new Haibike USA site, which is separate from the old (and still open) site.

I can't find the Urban Plus anywhere...

I think they went from having too many 2017's, to too few 2018's...they are either sold out or possibly discontinued(?) Some dealers still have them though.

Last edited:
Jay at Lonestar bikes told me he bought the last remaining inventory of 2018s from Haibike. I had mentioned in another thread that this bike was on my short list for quite some time but my own concerns about the Transx motor were amplified when one of the largest dealers told me that Tranzx was discontinuing the M25GTS. I tried to verify this with Tranzx but never got a response and just felt it was worth it to stick with a Bosch/Yamaha/Brose drivetrain for my first e-bike.

Jay at Lonestar bikes told me he bought the last remaining inventory of 2018s from Haibike. I had mentioned in another thread that this bike was on my short list for quite some time but my own concerns about the Transx motor were amplified when one of the largest dealers told me that Tranzx was discontinuing the M25GTS. I tried to verify this with Tranzx but never got a response and just felt it was worth it to stick with a Bosch/Yamaha/Brose drivetrain for my first e-bike.
I talked to them a few weeks ago and they really liked this bike!

Please help, I purchased an urban plus (my first ebike) from a dealer in another state. My local Haibike dealer did not have the large frame. I have only ridden it twice around my neighborhood. Went on a business trip last week. Since my garage gets hot, I decided to take out the battery and put it inside the house. When I inserted the battery back into the bike it would not work. The cobi system will not connect and the motor does not respond when I press any of the buttons on the control pad. I even tried riding it a bit to see if that would help. The battery is fully charged, all the leds light up. Is there something I should try? I will try to call Haibike on Tuesday but would be nice if I can get it working myself. Any suggestions?

Please help, I purchased an urban plus (my first ebike) from a dealer in another state. My local Haibike dealer did not have the large frame. I have only ridden it twice around my neighborhood. Went on a business trip last week. Since my garage gets hot, I decided to take out the battery and put it inside the house. When I inserted the battery back into the bike it would not work. The cobi system will not connect and the motor does not respond when I press any of the buttons on the control pad. I even tried riding it a bit to see if that would help. The battery is fully charged, all the leds light up. Is there something I should try? I will try to call Haibike on Tuesday but would be nice if I can get it working myself. Any suggestions?

Make sure you did the 2 step method of turning it on. First, you switch the battery on. Check 17:34 part of the video.

Last edited:
I actually removed and re-installed the battery multiple times. I also pressed the button on the side of the cobi and it did not help. I did notice even with the battery removed the cobi kept flashing (it has a battery of its own). I could not stop the flashing on the cobi. I went back to the bike a few hours later and the cobi light had stopped flashing. I inserted the battery and this time the bike 'woke up' and I was able to connect to the cobi as well. I know for sure that battery was installed and seated correctly (it has a satisfying click when inserted). Now I am hesitant to remove the battery again after this experience and am concerned about future experience with the bike. I thank you for the response, much appreciated!

I actually removed and re-installed the battery multiple times. I also pressed the button on the side of the cobi and it did not help. I did notice even with the battery removed the cobi kept flashing (it has a battery of its own). I could not stop the flashing on the cobi. I went back to the bike a few hours later and the cobi light had stopped flashing. I inserted the battery and this time the bike 'woke up' and I was able to connect to the cobi as well. I know for sure that battery was installed and seated correctly (it has a satisfying click when inserted). Now I am hesitant to remove the battery again after this experience and am concerned about future experience with the bike. I thank you for the response, much appreciated!
I had read on the forums on here and others that there is a looseness sometimes with the battery in its compartment. I suspect you should check the housing and see if the battery is completely connecting in its housing.

when it flashes like that do a manual update for the firmware via the "first" cobi screen on your phone when you launch the app

I had this happen last week after no rides do to heavy rain

the update takes a few minutes

when it flashes like that do a manual update for the firmware via the "first" cobi screen on your phone when you launch the app

Good to know! Thank you for informing! So how do you like your Urban Plus? Are you able to elaborate the range and riding at the max speed?

Torn between Haibike Urban Plus and IZip E3 Protour. Like the range and torque sensing on the Haibike. IZip is a couple hundred cheaper and lighter. Any input appreciated!

I saw the IZop but like the style of the Haibike. I would say the IZip is like a Chevy where the Haibike is like a Cadillac.
The Haibike has a bigger battery compared to the
BATTERY AMP HOURS:
10.2 ah
BATTERY WATT HOURS:
489.6 wh

IZip
BATTERY AMP HOURS:
8.7 ah
BATTERY WATT HOURS:
417.6 wh

It also has better braking
Haibike
BRAKE DETAILS:
Tektro Dorado HD-E715 Hydraulic Disc, 203 mm Front Rotor and 180 mm Back Rotor, Dual Piston Calipers, Four-Finger Tektro Dorado HD-E715 Levers with

IZip
BRAKE DETAILS:
Shimano M396 Hydraulic Disc with 180 mm Rotors, Adjustable Reach

and so many other features...

Izip has a cafe lock but that is outweighed by so many other things.

Hey guys, are any of you experiencing speed chocking at 26 mph? It seems that I need to peddle really hard to pass 26 mph at a flat terrain. It's only 2 mph difference from the supposed limit, but it's just annoying. Any suggestion on how to fix this?

Best,
Nik

Hey guys, are any of you experiencing speed chocking at 26 mph? It seems that I need to peddle really hard to pass 26 mph at a flat terrain. It's only 2 mph difference from the supposed limit, but it's just annoying. Any suggestion on how to fix this?

Best,
Nik

At 500 watts ebike power, you can attain 28 mph if you assume a tucked in or somewhat "aero" position and you have to pedal hard, something like 100 watts or more.

http://www.ebikes.ca/tools/simulato...50&throt=60&cont=cust_20_70_0.03_A&frame=road

You have to be either young or physically fit or both to sustain at least 100 watts of foot power for a few minutes. Otherwise, you reach terminal velocity at about 24-26 mph.

And your weight will also go against top speed since it will take a long time to accelerate if you have a heavy frame.

For example, in order to maintain 28 mph on a 180 pound rider in an upright position, and pedaling 50 watts, you will be needing 770 watts of motor power.

http://www.ebikes.ca/tools/simulato...otor=MEZEE250&throt=93&cont=cust_20_70_0.03_A

Best,
Nik
Also what is your tire PSI? How much weight are we talking about? I am really curious and it may help me solve that problem, if it occurs, when mine arrives! I have heard people on here reaching 28 easily but other articles where others are only able to get to 21 or 22. I am thinking it must be a factor why???

At 500 watts ebike power, you can attain 28 mph if you assume a tucked in or somewhat "aero" position and you have to pedal hard, something like 100 watts or more.

http://www.ebikes.ca/tools/simulato...50&throt=60&cont=cust_20_70_0.03_A&frame=road

You have to be either young or physically fit or both to sustain at least 100 watts of foot power for a few minutes. Otherwise, you reach terminal velocity at about 24-26 mph.

And your weight will also go against top speed since it will take a long time to accelerate if you have a heavy frame.

For example, in order to maintain 28 mph on a 180 pound rider in an upright position, and pedaling 50 watts, you will be needing 770 watts of motor power.

http://www.ebikes.ca/tools/simulato...otor=MEZEE250&throt=93&cont=cust_20_70_0.03_A

Makes sense, so it's more the motor limitation. Is the Urban Plus 500 watt output bottlenecked by the motor or the battery or the firmware?

Also what is your tire PSI? How much weight are we talking about? I am really curious and it may help me solve that problem, if it occurs, when mine arrives! I have heard people on here reaching 28 easily but other articles where others are only able to get to 21 or 22. I am thinking it must be a factor why???

I'm on the highest gear (10), and have a tire pressure of 30 psi (the lower limit of the pressure, but still quite firm). I might try pumping the tire a bit more and see if it helps. One thing for sure, it definitely doesn't stop at only 21/22, 25 mph are reached quite easily.

Makes sense, so it's more the motor limitation. Is the Urban Plus 500 watt output bottlenecked by the motor or the battery or the firmware?

I'm on the highest gear (10), and have a tire pressure of 30 psi (the lower limit of the pressure, but still quite firm). I might try pumping the tire a bit more and see if it helps. One thing for sure, it definitely doesn't stop at only 21/22, 25 mph are reached quite easily.

Power limit is largely regulated at the controller. However, if you bypass the controller you might burn your motor and your warranty is already void by then. A fully and freshly charged battery holds more amps so it's better to test top speed with a freshly charged battery (has no battery sag yet).

Assuming your ebike is in tip top condition and your tires are properly inflated (45-50 psi), and assuming that you have strong legs and can pedal at least 100 watts sustained, a mere change from upright position (system A) to a tuck in position (system B) can increase your top speed from 25 mph to 28 mph.

http://www.ebikes.ca/tools/simulato...eel_b=700c&frame_b=road&mass_b=110&throt_b=60

At speeds above 20 mph, the aerodynamic resistance (black curves) becomes the major limiting factor to speed.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if this bike supports GPS tracking if its stolen? From what I can tell, the COBI system only provides GPS navigation and I don't think Court mentioned anything about GPS tracking in his review. I definitely want GPS tracking, and would prefer it to be integrated, vs having to deal with the hassle of having to charge a separate device that could easily be ripped off when the bike is stolen.

Back