Haibike Urban Plus 2017 - The most exciting Urban E-bike!

I am still tearing out my hair between the Juiced CCS (with 19Ah battery) and the Urban Plus. I test rode the RadCity, and didn't like the 20mph limit, it really fought me above that speed. When a CCS became available for pre-order a few days ago on the Juiced site (someone must have gotten tired of waiting), I jumped at it. But I really want to start riding sooner than later, and I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't get a bike from Juiced until the end of June, which would be a bummer. I could get the Urban Plus much sooner, and I really am tempted by the more integrated design and higher end components. Still wary of the stiff fork, but the fat tires might well make up for it. Also wary of the much smaller battery for my ~26 mile round trip commute and 240lbs on some decent hills. But maybe the mid drive efficiency would make up for it. Ugh, which to choose?!?!

Just picked mine up today. Have not really ridden it yet. Does anybody know what this t-cable is for? It is labeled Transx

Attachments

• transx t cable.jpg
    transx t cable.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 551
Following up on this Q:

User question... Has anyone tried setting up more than one phone for their bike? Is that possible? Can I setup my wife's phone for when she uses the bike?

Having played with the interface a bit I see there is a 'hub sharing' setting under you bike settings. Unfortunately it does not show any hubs associated with my COBI account so I cannot share them. Under the bike information it shows the hub serial number, so I don't know what is missing. Anybody else had this problem or has anyone tried to share their hub?

Thanks,

Converted.

Just picked mine up today. Have not really ridden it yet. Does anybody know what this t-cable is for? It is labeled Transx

I think that is a CanBUS cable for doing Logix diagnostics on the motor. See http://www.crservice.dk/EFLY/M25_Usermanual_en.pdf. Not sure where exactly it plugs in.

The geek in me really wants to get a Logix system and see what it can do and monitor what's going on in the motor. Anyone have any experience with that? could be a blast to reprogram the torque curves etc.

I think that is a CanBUS cable for doing Logix diagnostics on the motor. See http://www.crservice.dk/EFLY/M25_Usermanual_en.pdf. Not sure where exactly it plugs in.

The geek in me really wants to get a Logix system and see what it can do and monitor what's going on in the motor. Anyone have any experience with that? could be a blast to reprogram the torque curves etc.

I was hoping that it could be a t cable to hook up a boost button

I got my urban plus about a month ago. I've put 120 ish miles in the saddle not one issue. I love it great bike it's the 2017 model and my local dealer price matched it to the 1699

Attachments

• IMG_20180415_101559346_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180415_101559346_HDR.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 1,219
I ordered mine Urban Plus last week for 1799.00 including set up, instructions on how to work the bike and such and warranty and I pick it up Wed or Thur at an out of state dealer, but only 2hrs away. No dealer in upstate Ny sells or will work on 28mph bikes :( .... but I did want a dealer who would warranty it and help me along since it's my first ebike (or any NEW bike in 35 years) and they seemed like a great fit and promised to to do so. The owner told me it's a great bike and there is absolutely nothing worng with it. They are just unloading them at the lowball price which he said sucks, because he can't make any money .. but he said he would buy it if he was looking and that it is a great bike ... so we agreed to this price above, no tax which certainly saved me, and now I have a somewhat local dealer !!!

I will update on the bike after I get a few miles in !!

A few additional observations comparing rear hub (past ebike) to mid-drive (Urban Plus)...

I'm wondering what is the most efficient way to ride this bike. Coming from a rear hub motor, I rarely used anything other than the smallest three gears (of eight) on the rear cassette. As long as I was maintaining about 20 KM/H and consistent torque on the chain, the motor happily buzzed along. Starts were quick and smooth even in the lowest assist setting - I rarely used more than the lowest assist setting aiming for max distance.

On the Urban Plus I am finding a quick peddle cadence (60rpm+) is important. I can maintain a constant cadence and effort level but I have to be much more conscientious about being in the right gear for the incline. If I stay in the lowest assist setting, my speed drops substantially on hills and I find it necessary to bump up the assist level. Also, starts are nowhere near as quick as the old rear hub ebike. So, the hills and starts require more energy from the rider, but on the flats the mid-drive feels more efficient.

One other feedback ... When I picked up my bike from the bikeshop, I got about a block away and it lost power, then got it back, then lost it again. I went back to the shop and after 10 minutes of checking connections, we discovered the battery was not 'clicked' into place. It should be impossible to take out the key if the battery is not properly locked in place.

Converted

Where in NY are you, Woody? Here in the Capital District ebikes are sold and/or serviced at shops all over the place. I’ve bought three myself!

Hmmm - started having a problem with my Urban Plus after about 50kms. Started to notice the motor seemed louder and had more vibration than I remembered. No biggy, but I made a mental note.

My bike's problem:

I don't know if it is related to the vibration noticed above or not, but on assist level 3 the motor cuts out for 0.5 seconds every 2-3 rotations of the pedals while you are peddling. Very noticeable when starting from a stop or climbing a hill when there is lots of torque. On the flats, once you get up to about 20kph it is less noticeable. On a hill the motor cuts out every two or three rotations so it is difficult to build up momentum. I don't notice the problem in level 1 assist.

Unfortunately the bike shop has the same opening hours as my work hours so I won't be able to get it checked out until the weekend.

Will update,

Converted.

Hmmm - started having a problem with my Urban Plus after about 50kms. Started to notice the motor seemed louder and had more vibration than I remembered. No biggy, but I made a mental note.

My bike's problem:

I don't know if it is related to the vibration noticed above or not, but on assist level 3 the motor cuts out for 0.5 seconds every 2-3 rotations of the pedals while you are peddling. Very noticeable when starting from a stop or climbing a hill when there is lots of torque. On the flats, once you get up to about 20kph it is less noticeable. On a hill the motor cuts out every two or three rotations so it is difficult to build up momentum. I don't notice the problem in level 1 assist.

Unfortunately the bike shop has the same opening hours as my work hours so I won't be able to get it checked out until the weekend.

Will update,

Converted.
So I went and undid the platic side cover and noticed the bolts that hold the motor to the frame were a tad bit loose

Torn between Haibike Urban Plus and IZip E3 Protour. Like the range and torque sensing on the Haibike. IZip is a couple hundred cheaper and lighter. Any input appreciated!

Torn between Haibike Urban Plus and IZip E3 Protour. Like the range and torque sensing on the Haibike. IZip is a couple hundred cheaper and lighter. Any input appreciated!
I rode both bikes and favored the urban plus simply because it has that Stromer kind of look just a real clean look. Plus the 500 watt motor and clean integration attracted me but to each its own. And for 1699 that's a great deal currently

I got Urban Plus last week and have 100 miles on it. So far I am loving the COBI system!
  1. posts to Strava
  2. quiet route navigation that takes me through scenic routes that I didn't know existed
  3. ambient sensing front light
  4. alarm
  5. COBI wakes up as I walk up (?) or when I activate COBI app nears it
  6. I can listen to podcast while I commute to work
  7. tracks my cadence.
Other details have been discussed but I would like to point out that the bike has excellent side visibility from the integrated lights and reflector strip on the tires. I was also pleasantly surprised that I can upshift three gears to get to lower gears fast.

I fitted my bike with a Wald folding basket. It works wells but scratched my rack. I blame it partly on the basket design and also on my overzealous effort to secure the basket. I ended up just using multiple zip ties and that solved the problem.

I got the Bordo X-Plus 6500 and found it hard to lock up because of the wide tires and beefy rim. It was easier to lock up with a regular sized U lock, but for convenience I would use a longer U-Lock.

A negative. One time I was trying to stay with traffic at a busy intersection with Turbo Mode and the motor was shut off. I think my battery was around 10 to 15%? I hope that that the system would just limit the motor amp demand or won't allow me to access turbo mode if the battery can't supply the amp demanded by the motor.

I am trying to find out if I can install Light and Motion Nip and Tuck lights.

Inspired by the Urban Plus, I am now looking for an e-cargo bike and retrofitted it with a COBI system.

Last edited:
Guys, I'm getting my first e-bike, and the urban plus is on the top of my list right now. Before I pull the trigger, does anyone know where to get a replacement battery for the bike? and any general thought/recommendations for the purchase? Any better deal at the moment?

Back