Haibike blown away by Easy Motion

I've been telling naysayers that my hub drive Stromer (sold) and Falco bikes are both significantly faster than my Haibike (FS RX) midrive.

Unless you are climbing a pretty steep hill where the midrives torque comes to the fore, a hub motor is just faster. (regulated motors)
Where it's steep enough, THEN the hub motor shines and shows it grunt, where a direct drive hub motor is straining and getting hot.
For street riding, unless you're San Francisco like hills, a hub motor is going to be faster. (given comp specs)

I agree 100%, when I rode my Stormer to the bike shop then immediately jumped on a Haibike, I was convinced it wasn't turned on at all. The salesman looked everything over and assured me it was. I honestly could not tell I was getting any help at out of the Bosch. Unfortunately they put so many of those on so many bikes that Bosch fan boys come out of the woodwork to defend it to the death. The point is ride a bunch bikes before you throw down a large hunk of cash, people. Otherwise your old lady is gonna blow you away going up hills on a bike that has half the torque rating.

I agree 100%, when I rode my Stormer to the bike shop then immediately jumped on a Haibike, I was convinced it wasn't turned on at all. The salesman looked everything over and assured me it was. I honestly could not tell I was getting any help at out of the Bosch. Unfortunately they put so many of those on so many bikes that Bosch fan boys come out of the woodwork to defend it to the death. The point is ride a bunch bikes before you throw down a large hunk of cash, people. Otherwise your old lady is gonna blow you away going up hills on a bike that has half the torque rating.

It's just a "bit"difference. Not a big deal. Really shouldn't need to be macho for our SO but whatever. , maybe peddle harder.
Truth is, if you got no assist, it's because you're really weak. ;)
It assists relative to what you put into it.
Crank hard and it boosts hard.
Just different type setup and the nature of it, not better or worse, just different.
If you live with steep climbs it's a no brainer FOR the mid drive, and you'd swear a hub motor was a gutless pos.

I live in FLAT midwest where a hub motor really has the advantage, but the Bosch system is so good that I prefer it even here and even on road with an off road bike setup with street tires.
A really good torque sensing setup and no throttle.
Really the way ALL bike assists should be IMO.
I sold the faster Stromer because I prefer the Haibike more even on the street, not it's forte'.

I like the Bosch system better than the others.
It is totally bike like.
Well worth the extra expense to me.

The thread is referring to speed in climbing, not comparing the bikes in general.

Last edited:
I have a Haibike 29er and my GF has a Easy Motion Evo 27.5, both 2015.

She blows me away going UP hill. WTF?

The motors have virtually exact same secs/ratings. What's going on?

Haibike: 36 volt / 11 ah / 396 wh, 350 watt / 550 watt, 60 Newton meters
Easy Motion: 36 volt / 11.6 ah / 417.6 wh, 350 watt / 548 watt, 37 Newton meters

Should mention this is mostly evident going UP-hill.
Wow that says alot about the Easy Motion bikes....I have 3....The neo jumper 2014 black edition which is awesome and I can climb any hill in Economy......any hill, the neo volt, and the neo prox. And i love the throttle ! I have right at 4000 miles betwen the 3 bikes and I am still shocked at how much torque that the 350 watt motor has.

Doesn't the EM have adjustable power settings? You turn the Haibike to Turbo for max power, compare Max setting to Max setting. ;)
You also likely have gearing differences. Lots of different factors affect speed. Crank length on regular bikes can affect. etc
A 500w hub motor may peak at 750w for bursts, the motor spinning faster. The hub motor stays at a more constant rpm and doens't give that burst of speed that takes a lot of juice.(and heats the motor up)
Consequently, my Haibike has much longer range (50-60) with me peddling all the time, than either of the Hub motor bikes (30-35, 1 is a trike) with comparable 36v battery. ;)
Well on my Neo Numper 650B I travled 50 miles in economy before the battery went dead. It took me 2 days to do this test. That included climbing 2 steep overpasses and half a mile in florida sand.

It's just a "bit"difference. Not a big deal. Really shouldn't need to be macho for our SO but whatever. , maybe peddle harder.
Truth is, if you got no assist, it's because you're really weak. ;)
It assists relative to what you put into it.
Crank hard and it boosts hard.
Just different type setup and the nature of it, not better or worse, just different.
If you live with steep climbs it's a no brainer FOR the mid drive, and you'd swear a hub motor was a gutless pos.

I live in FLAT midwest where a hub motor really has the advantage, but the Bosch system is so good that I prefer it even here and even on road with an off road bike setup with street tires.
A really good torque sensing setup and no throttle.
Really the way ALL bike assists should be IMO.
I sold the faster Stromer because I prefer the Haibike more even on the street, not it's forte'.

I like the Bosch system better than the others.
It is totally bike like.
Well worth the extra expense to me.

The thread is referring to speed in climbing, not comparing the bikes in general.
I have more than enough torque with my Easy motion bikes and a throttle option. I think all bikes should have at least a push button or thumb throttle with a 8mph limit for saftey reasons. Like if you get hurt on the trails at least you could get home or to a hospital.It be sad to get hurt to the point that you cant pedal on a bosh bike and look at that awesome bosh motor that can get you nowhere. I dont have a lack of torque in economy ....Im able to climb any hill.....neo jumper having 30 gears and all.

This is an old thread to dredge up! My sduro kills my evo snow on anything that is a really true steep grade. There are a couple short stunts around my house that I have to get off the easy motion, where the haibike sduro rides up without breaking a sweat.

Reactions: Dej
This is an old thread to dredge up! My sduro kills my evo snow on anything that is a really true steep grade. There are a couple short stunts around my house that I have to get off the easy motion, where the haibike sduro rides up without breaking a sweat.
Awesome...I will take a closer look at the Sduro. This is good information considering you have both bikes.I will eventually get a Haibike hardtail just because I like to have the best and I do love the bosh drive system but until then I will be riding my 30 speed Jumper which is an awesome bike and I think it's under rated. Thanks for the reply☺

Back