Great Canadian Musicians

Canadians are so kind and comforting, and as a country of 11 thousand or whatever the population is , how are they so ignorant of BNL

I listen to a lot of contemporary (or near contemporary) Canadian artists: Arcade Fire, Fiest, Metric, Broken Social Scene, Stars, Crystal Castles. The music scene in Montreal seemed to be on fire a decade ago!
What about Dizzy

The thread is Great Canadian Musicians, not Greatest Canadian Rock Band. Neil and Joni are King and Queen!

- BTO, The Guess Who...a couple of bands based out of Winnipeg, MB.

- Leonard Cohen

BNL were very good with the original lineup, but the way i would describe them would be "Clever". They wrote and performed songs with clever lyrics and catchy tunes.

For me, Guess Who, Ian and Sylvia, Diana Krall, Valdy, Gordon Lightfoot, Serena Ryder are just a few of my many varied favorites over the last 60+ years. I was never much of a Rush fan, but the competition in their era was huge and i just preferred other bands.

I used to volunteer at a folk music club, i did their newsletters, web pages etc, and got to enjoy tons of fantastic live music. It was a solid mix of international and Canadian talent. Theres a current Nashville star named Lindsey Ell who volunteered there with her parents and eventually got a spot as an opener.

A couple of weeks ago, an old chum from my Montreal days sent me a link to a YouTube video featuring a friend of his daughter's. Apparently, they have a solid following on that resource.

So, here is a Canadian Band covering an Australian classic. Hope you enjoy it - its different acoustically and it's fun.

BNL were very good with the original lineup, but the way i would describe them would be "Clever". They wrote and performed songs with clever lyrics and catchy tunes.

For me, Guess Who, Ian and Sylvia, Diana Krall, Valdy, Gordon Lightfoot, Serena Ryder are just a few of my many varied favorites over the last 60+ years. I was never much of a Rush fan, but the competition in their era was huge and i just preferred other bands.

I used to volunteer at a folk music club, i did their newsletters, web pages etc, and got to enjoy tons of fantastic live music. It was a solid mix of international and Canadian talent. Theres a current Nashville star named Lindsey Ell who volunteered there with her parents and eventually got a spot as an opener.

A couple of weeks ago, an old chum from my Montreal days sent me a link to a YouTube video featuring a friend of his daughter's. Apparently, they have a solid following on that resource.

So, here is a Canadian Band covering an Australian classic. Hope you enjoy it - its different acoustically and it's fun.

Sounds like she is having trouble hitting the high notes. I remember the song. Who was the guy that used to sing it?

Actually Neil was first in Buffalo Springfield and even got indicted in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as Buffalo Springfield
I'm sure you have seen the movie Forest Gump? Buffalo Springfield "For What It's Worth" was used in that movie. Also used in Tropic Thunder and a couple other flicks
FWIW one of the greatest rock songs ever written and performed along with a few Beatle songs and American Pie...

Neil Young's "The Needle and the Damage Done" is one of my favorites. The seeming simplicity of the the guitar riffs are very recognisable.

I was at a concert of his a number of years ago, and hated it, except for that song. It made sitting though the rest of the trash worthwhile, but holy crap it was loud. We had to wear earplugs or we'd have had to leave. The scary part was we were at the far end of the venue.

It's no wonder some people cant hear my bell on my bike as i approach!

A good rendition of an AC/DC classic. Without a doubt, no one could match the vocals of Brian Johnson.

Honorable mentions: Alanis Morrisette, K.D. Lang, Jan Arden, Sara McLachlan

I once sat beside Bruce Cockburn in a sushi bar while visiting Banff a number of years ago.

Who is Bubbles?
JRA, I can't tell if you were making a joke, or if you know that Bubbles (Mike Smith) was actually a reasonably successful rock star long before the TPB's. I saw them perform at Lee's Palace in Toronto in the mid-90's while I was in college, and they were awesome live. Still have an autographed CD in storage somewhere...

But Bubbles in his own right does a Great version of Closer to the Heart.

'When Somebody Like Alex Lifeson Gives You A F***In' T-Shirt To Put On, You're Puttin' The F***In' Thing On. I Don't Care If You Don't Wear Shirts'​

- Bubbles

Oh, Jeez Louise. It's not even close. BNL is by far, the greatest band to ever come out of Canada. (Neil and Joni are solo artists) Tragically Hip is in the conversation even thought with a gun to my head, I couldn't name 1 song.

And the Rush thing? Name a Rush song.
DUUUUDE!!! Rush has one of the largest discographies of any Rock Band period with over 60 Studio and special releases (Live's, etc.) combined. The have sold TRIPLE the albums of BNL!!!! Over 40-freakin-Million!

They trump BNL by a Saskatchewan mile!

Seriously...

Geddy Lee Forever!

;-)

I can agree with many of the names already mentioned, for sure, but, even though she may be kind of a niche musician, I really like Loreena McKennitt and I've been a big fan of Ian and Sylvia for a long long time. They have a really great body of work. More in the Rock vein, Paul Shaffer has a lot of cred.

TT

Back