When was the last time You listened to a record album?

When was the last time you played a record album on a turntable?

• Never

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • 25 years ago

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Within the past 30 days

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Today

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • What is a record album?

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters
Today. The new Norah Jones album is fantastic.
IMG_6133.jpeg

Pop corn sounds are audible on vinyl.

Now days I have an expensive Yamaha entertainment system with 10" dual sub woofers and sound bars all wireless
connected. Listening to Ozzy crazy train is awesome.

These days I only play records to transfer to WAV and MP3.
Played some last week I bought at an estate sale.
I have a Luxman direct drive turntable and Audio-Technica cartridge AT440ML with a line contact stylus.
I use a re-capped discrete transistor preamp and a Teac Digital recorder.
I use Goldwave audio editor to remove ticks and pops and other fixes.
My main stereo is a Sony receiver and home-brew speakers featuring Electro-Voice midrange and tweeter horns.

Back in the '60s my father and uncle built their own hi-fi gear from kits by Knight, HH Scott and others.
Thus my very early exposure to electronics.
I still have a collection of their pre-recorded open reel tapes, which back then were expensive, but superior to vinyl.

My dad drove me to Toronto to buy me a stereo for Christmas in 1978.

We got a Radioshack Realistic receiver, a turntable and Realistic speakers.

My first albums were Bob Marley's Exodus, and Steve Miller Band's Book Of Dreams.

I listened to Bob's album until I wore it out, and bought a new one.

I was in grade 9 in 1979 when my friend at school said that a new media was coming out that used Lazer beams.
I didn't believe him.

My first CD was The Digital Domain.
One of the first 100 CDs ever produced.
It was intended to show what a stereo could do.
It came with a warning label saying don't blow up your stereo system.

20240331_205108.jpg
20240331_205307.jpg

It was the only CD that I owned for more than 5 years.
They were just too expensive.
The CD cost me almost $50 in 1981 Canadian dollars.

In 1982, my dad took a motorcycle trip to Florida and I got him to pick me up a Sony Discman Portable CD player and a CD.
It cost me just over $500 at the time for a Demonstration that came with a battery case and a 1 amp power supply.

The CD was Upstairs At Erik's by YAZ or Yazoo in Europe.

20240331_205835.jpg

That is my original Talk Talk CD from way back then.
My third CD.

It is all scratched, but it plays better when I put black magic marker over the scratches.

20240331_211817.jpg
20240331_212029.jpg

Last edited:
These days I only play records to transfer to WAV and MP3.
Played some last week I bought at an estate sale.
I have a Luxman direct drive turntable and Audio-Technica cartridge AT440ML with a line contact stylus.
I use a re-capped discrete transistor preamp and a Teac Digital recorder.
I use Goldwave audio editor to remove ticks and pops and other fixes.
My main stereo is a Sony receiver and home-brew speakers featuring Electro-Voice midrange and tweeter horns.

Back in the '60s my father and uncle built their own hi-fi gear from kits by Knight, HH Scott and others.
Thus my very early exposure to electronics.
I still have a collection of their pre-recorded open reel tapes, which back then were expensive, but superior to vinyl.
Nice. My audiophile days are long over but I still enjoy what I have in my possession. A Carver C500 amp and C4000 preamp remain in storage but who knows for how much longer.

Today’s playlist selections were both classics, IMO. Lyle Mays who was the group keyboardist for the Pat Metheny Group became an integral part of the quartet from 1978-2005 before his passing in 2020. may he RIP.

PXL_20240401_001047615.jpg

And who can forget….

PXL_20240401_001759363.MP.jpg

Last edited:
My brother gave me about 150 albums a while back, mostly what he bought at the PX in W. Germany in the late '60s. It's not my era for music so I listed them for sale last summer and sold maybe a couple dozen. Might try again sometime this summer.

Seems like a lot of shared experiences. I remember purchasing my first good turntable when I was 13 or 14 years old in the 70's. We had a local Sterio Discounters, they had several stores on the east coast. It was a warehouse with no frills, but you could spend days looking at all the gear, from bargain setups to the pinnacle of audiophile. I always had an ear for the best but didn't have the pocketbook for it. Afterall there were cars and motorcycles to think about and of course girls.

I found the turntable I wanted and could barely afford. I took home a fully manual BSR turntable. It was belt drive, S arm turntable with moving magnet cartridge. It was the envy of my group of friends. The ones that had a turntable had automatic disk changers. Yeah, I knew what I was doing... or did I? I went home and got it all hooked up and nothing! No sound! I called the store and the guy says, "is your preamp plugged in?" I had no idea what a preamp was or what it did. He told me and I went to the local Radio Shack and picked up one.

I've had a few really great turntables since then. For about 3 years, in my younger days, a friend and I were event DJ's. That was a lot of fun and a great reason to buy records. A few minutes ago, I put on Lee Michaels, do you know what I mean?

I couldn’t remember the year when I last listened to a record album on a turntable, most probably more than 30 years ago. But I’m sure I was still a small kid. We sold the turntable, but never get to own another. I remember the crisp sounds that no CD or digital music could match.

The single biggest investment for sound quality is the speakers, and the room, and no neighbours.

The world is full of enthusiasts with 500w amps, 5 grand speakers taller than them and they never turn it up above 2 cos the the flat below is owned by a guy with a tattooed face.

The single biggest investment for sound quality is the speakers, and the room, and no neighbours.

The world is full of enthusiasts with 500w amps, 5 grand speakers taller than them and they never turn it up above 2 cos the the flat below is owned by a guy with a tattooed face.
Absolutely, it would have been nice to have that setup with no scary neighbors. I've tried using audiophile headphones and hi-fi music (FLAC), but nothing comes close to vinyl on a turntable with quality speakers.

45 years at least,a little while back i came upon a dumpster with at least a hundred records of all age and descriptionmin a hurry didnt gather them up i bet there were some 16 rpm discs in that kerfluffle as well, probably somebody cleaning out a deceaased relatives collection.

45 years at least,a little while back i came upon a dumpster with at least a hundred records of all age and descriptionmin a hurry didnt gather them up i bet there were some 16 rpm discs in that kerfluffle as well, probably somebody cleaning out a deceaased relatives collection.
Wow, what a find! Too bad you didn’t have the time to pick them up, @kevinmccune

Wow, what a find! Too bad you didn’t have the time to pick them up, @kevinmccune
i guess the " scorched earthers" threw them away,reminds me of people who would destroy or crush a good vehicle lest someone else would get some use from it.it would have been so simple to just set them aside for someone else to enjoy.

Apparently vinyl records are making a comeback. We bought my daughter a setup for Christmas and she must have 50 records by now. She snagged a couple of mine, Pink Floyd The Wall being a somewhat valuable one. I still have a setup but it’s newer and pretty low quality.

I just received a new pressing of Miles Davis' soundtrack for Lift to the Scaffold, a 1957 Louis Malle noir film. The entire composition was improvised in the recording studio! Side A is the soundtrack. Side B is not from the soundtrack, but includes Miles Davis with Cannonball Adderley, John Coltrane, Bill Evans, Paul Chambers, and Jimmy Cobb. All in mono, but the sound is really good.

I just received a new pressing of Miles Davis' soundtrack for Lift to the Scaffold, a 1957 Louis Malle noir film. The entire composition was improvised in the recording studio! Side A is the soundtrack. Side B is not from the soundtrack, but includes Miles Davis with Cannonball Adderley, John Coltrane, Bill Evans, Paul Chambers, and Jimmy Cobb. All in mono, but the sound is really good.
one of my ears( or auditory nerves is compromised) dont mind mono at all.

Back