GoPro Camera Setup with Microphone

Dmythology

Hi All,

Wondering if anyone knows what microphone and harness setup that Cort uses for his E-Bike reviews? I'm shopping around for a microphone-Gopro rig that would work for doing reviews of e-bike accessories.

If you have any links to cases / microphones for doing any work outside while riding, that would be great.

Thanks in advance

On this topic, does anyone have a preferred bike mounted camera or gps? When I get my bike I'm thinking of mounting the Garmin Virb XE. It seems the video quality isn't as good as GoPro but has the built in gps which makes it a lot easier to overlay your ride statistics onto the video. Anyone tried it? I think they sell it with a cycling bundle:

https://virb.garmin.com/en-US#product-virbxe

Regarding Court's camera, it looked to me like he was using an iPhone.

On this topic, does anyone have a preferred bike mounted camera or gps? When I get my bike I'm thinking of mounting the Garmin Virb XE. It seems the video quality isn't as good as GoPro but has the built in gps which makes it a lot easier to overlay your ride statistics onto the video. Anyone tried it? I think they sell it with a cycling bundle:

https://virb.garmin.com/en-US#product-virbxe

Regarding Court's camera, it looked to me like he was using an iPhone.
Several including myself use the Garmin virbs. You can sync and control two cameras from your phone. I point one forward and one backwards...

Several including myself use the Garmin virbs. You can sync and control two cameras from your phone. I point one forward and one backwards...
Good to know. Makes a lot of sense to have one filming behind as well. Is it the same Virb XE or another Garmin model? Thanks

If you're just going to use an action camera as a mounted camera, the VIRBs are great. You can get an VIRB Elite Refurbished for like $90 on Amazon. The biggest down side is the Elites are heavier and bulkier than other action cams. I really wouldn't want one mounted to my helmet and they are too long to be chest mounted. The GoPros tend to have better low light abilities. The VIRBs do come with a go-pro mount adapter, so you can hook in to a lot of the GoPro accessories. You can also hook in a MicroUSB microphone adapter or use a MicroUSB mic. I picked up this one (LINK) and some wind blockers (LINK).

If you want to do a lot of handheld work, a Steadicam mount would be a good investment.

Just for another alternative, I use a Drift Innovations Stealth 2. Available from Amazon for about $100. https://amzn.com/B00MCWWL0G It works well. I like the size (small) and it mounts more "flush" than some others, on a helmet. It has some features I like as well, such as a rotating lens, available remote and time lapse features. Some worthwhile reviews on Amazon.

Just for another alternative, I use a Drift Innovations Stealth 2...
I like the looks of the Drift cameras (went to their website). Small and very reasonably priced. I was leaning Garmin mainly to make it easier to overlay the GPS statistics (mph, grade, distance etc). I guess with a non GPS camera one has to have a separate GPS (Garmin or use Strava) and then use software to merge the GPS data with the video? Sounds complicated for a non-tech guy like me .... I suppose though that a person could save money if 2 cameras are needed by using a Garmin setup for one and something like the Drift for the other. At least then it might be easier to merge the two videos into a single split screen video with stats. I mainly want the cameras for evidentiary purposes like a dashcam but I also may want to post a review or two on my bike once I have it and am up and running as a commuter.

Court uses a GoPro camera mounted on a gimbal that can swivel & tilt. He also has a special cycling helmet with a camera mount at mouth level for shots while riding. You can see that helmet system in his Cabo San Lucas Tours videolog. He does occasionally use his IPhone for a snapshot just like all of the rest of us do :D

I like the looks of the Drift cameras (went to their website). Small and very reasonably priced. I was leaning Garmin mainly to make it easier to overlay the GPS statistics (mph, grade, distance etc). I guess with a non GPS camera one has to have a separate GPS (Garmin or use Strava) and then use software to merge the GPS data with the video? Sounds complicated for a non-tech guy like me .... I suppose though that a person could save money if 2 cameras are needed by using a Garmin setup for one and something like the Drift for the other. At least then it might be easier to merge the two videos into a single split screen video with stats. I mainly want the cameras for evidentiary purposes like a dashcam but I also may want to post a review or two on my bike once I have it and am up and running as a commuter.

The Garmin Virb editing software will let you use most 3rd party video files for editing. Then if you have a device that can export GPS data in the .GPX or .FIT format, it should be possible to sync the video with the GPS data to add overlays on your video. You could even use Strava to export GPX data: https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/216918437-Exporting-your-Data-and-Bulk-Export

Even with a Garmin Virb, you need to do some fine-tune syncing of the data with the video. But technically speaking, you don't need a Virb camera to have Virb-like videos.

Back