Going against the trend and changing my 9 speed from a wide ratio mtb cassette to a close ratio road bike cassette. (11-36 to 13-25)

Trail Cruiser

I know people here wants the widest range possible so they can conquer the steepest hills and also pedal on the down hill at 30 mph.

After more than 2000 miles on my full suspension Giant Stance2 with BBSHD and 48 teeth chain ring, I haven't really used the top end except when going down hill or if I am in the highest assist level and speeding past 30 mph.

It's the same story also on the bottom end, I haven't really used it except when hunting down the steepest hills in my town. Other than that, I haven't used the 2 bottom end of my cassette. For my application, the 160 NM torque rating of the BBSHD is more than enough without the 2 bottom end sprockets.

Since my knees hurt, I just focus more on cardio exercise (low effort / high cadence routine). I want to maintain my cadence between 80 to 95 rpm. There are times that my cadence fall outside the target window since the gap between the gear is too wide. For example at 19 mph my cadence is 95 rpm and then I shift up. However, on the next gear my cadence is 76 rpm.

The local bike shop thought I am into racing since the 13-25 cassette is actually a racing cassette.

1540397380594.png

Last edited:
I know people here wants the widest range possible so they can conquer the steepest hills and also pedal on the down hill at 30 mph.

After more than 2000 miles on my full suspension Giant Stance2 with BBSHD and 48 teeth chain ring, I haven't really used the top end except when going down hill or if I am in the highest assist level and speeding past 30 mph.

It's the same story also on the bottom end, I haven't really used it except when hunting down the steepest hills in my town. Other than that, I haven't used the 2 bottom end of my cassette. For my application, the 160 NM torque rating of the BBSHD is more than enough without the 2 bottom end sprockets.

Since my knees hurt, I just focus more on cardio exercise (low effort / high cadence routine). I want to maintain my cadence between 80 to 95 rpm. There are times that my cadence fall outside the target window since the gap between the gear is too wide. For example at 19 mph my cadence is 95 rpm and then I shift up. However, on the next gear my cadence is 76 rpm.

The local bike shop thought I am into racing since the 12-25 cassette is actually a racing cassette.

View attachment 26700
I did as you have for the same reasons, except I went with a 11-23 10S cassette for the closer ratios which are ideal for commuting on my relatively flat coastal topography
Transitioning from decades spent riding road bikes, I found that with my riding style there is many a time when you just need to go up or down a gear with 1x tooth difference to find that sweet spot in cadence
On my daily commute I use every ratio of the 11-23 cassette, coupled with a 38t chainring, so for me it is perfect for my needs and knees

Last edited:
I did the same thing 11-34 to a 12-28 with a 52T chainring. I had lots of miles on my road bikes under my belt and knew that those 1 tooth jumps in the middle of the cassette allow me to spin at my preferred 80-90rpm cadence. With wider range cassettes I would often find myself wishing for an “in-between” gear.

I want to do the same thing. On my Specialized Vado, the ten speed cassette is 11-42 - to say there are some large gaps is an understatement! On my Trek road bike, I swapped out my running gear to an Ultegra ten speed 11-25 cassette, along with an Ultegra derailleur. This set up provided very smooth and quiet shifting. (It's pretty flat biking here on the Delaware coast!)

My question is can I use this same set up on the Vado but retain the Vado Speedfire shifters. I am unable to determine if the pull distance of the Speedfire shifters will match up with the Ultegra derailleur and cassette.

I would also like to swap out the stock 40t ring gear for a 48t or 52t ring gear.

Your thoughts and suggestions welcome.

I want to do the same thing. On my Specialized Vado, the ten speed cassette is 11-42 - to say there are some large gaps is an understatement! On my Trek road bike, I swapped out my running gear to an Ultegra ten speed 11-25 cassette, along with an Ultegra derailleur. This set up provided very smooth and quiet shifting. (It's pretty flat biking here on the Delaware coast!)

My question is can I use this same set up on the Vado but retain the Vado Speedfire shifters. I am unable to determine if the pull distance of the Speedfire shifters will match up with the Ultegra derailleur and cassette.

I would also like to swap out the stock 40t ring gear for a 48t or 52t ring gear.

Your thoughts and suggestions welcome.

I'm pretty confident, you can use 11-25 cassette, you need to shorten the chain in a way that the lower leg of the derailer is roughly vertical in position at the lowest gear. And then readjust to align the upper and lower limits of the derailer movement. You also need to adjust the "B" gap screw to bring up the derailer closer to the sprocket in the first gear position for a crispier shifting (coming from a 42 teeth big sprocket to a 25 teeth).

Check first if you have enough clearance for a big chain ring. I would recommend 46 or 48 teeth. If you use 52 teeth chain ring, you may encounter situations where you will run out of lower range. Besides, you'll rarely use the 11 teeth anyway, unless you are going more than 28 mph.

Last edited:
Thanks, Cruiser!

I know that an 11-25 cassette will work. My question really is if I swap out the 10-speed Shimano Deore cassette and derailleur for Shimano Ultegra 10-speed cassette and derailleur, can I retain my existing Speedfire shifters?

I understand adjustments to the chain length would be necessary, particularly if I also swapped out the 40t chain ring for a 48t chain ring.

Thanks, Cruiser!

I know that an 11-25 cassette will work. My question really is if I swap out the 10-speed Shimano Deore cassette and derailleur for Shimano Ultegra 10-speed cassette and derailleur, can I retain my existing Speedfire shifters?

I understand adjustments to the chain length would be necessary, particularly if I also swapped out the 40t chain ring for a 48t chain ring.

It should not be an issue, I think the Speedfire shifter will be fine.

Last edited:
I don’t think you need to swap out the derailleur if you already have 10-speed Deore rear derailleur. I run a 10 speed Deore RD with a 10 speed SRAM 12-28 cassette. SRAM and Shimano run the same gear spacing on their cassettes.

Back